Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninjapenguinart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Is there a way to track commodities on either the bloomberg or the pre-installed stocks app? ^_^ Because I work where knowing the price of things like corn and soy are very useful.

tmackgt89

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Commodities Symbols

Is there a way to track commodities on either the bloomberg or the pre-installed stocks app? ^_^ Because I work where knowing the price of things like corn and soy are very useful.

Yes there is. I found this a few weeks ago. A guy had posted several Commodities ticker symbols. The only one I have is the one for Crude Oil. It is : "CLV08.NYM" CL - Stands for Light Sweet Crude; V=Month of October; 08 is year and the .NYM is the Exchange it's traded on.

This site explains it better: http://commodities.about.com/od/understandingthebasics/ss/futurescontract_3.htm

Soybeans or corn would be the same just look up the the two letter symbol on the NY Mercantile Exchange and enter it into the Apple Stocks App

Hope that helps!!:)

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal

FYI, you can put almost any global stocks, foreign exchange, interest rates, or commodities quotes in the Yahoo stock widget. You just need to make sure you append the correct exchange. Here are some examples:

Euro/USD: EURUSD=X

WTI Oil: CLV08.NYM (V08 = October 2008 Futures Price on Nymex)
Copper: HGV08.CMX (Oct 08 Copper on Comex)
Gold: GCV08.CMX (Oct 08 Gold on Comex)

10-yr US Treasury: ^TNX
5-yr US Treasury: ^FVX

Tat & Lyle (London): TATE.L

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal
FYI, you can put almost any global stocks, foreign exchange, interest rates, or commodities quotes in the Yahoo stock widget. You just need to make sure you append the correct exchange. Here are some examples:

Euro/USD: EURUSD=X

WTI Oil: CLV08.NYM (V08 = October 2008 Futures Price on Nymex)
Copper: HGV08.CMX (Oct 08 Copper on Comex)
Gold: GCV08.CMX (Oct 08 Gold on Comex)

10-yr US Treasury: ^TNX
5-yr US Treasury: ^FVX

Tat & Lyle (London): TATE.L

Here are some others to get you started:

Symbol Name

CU08.CBT Corn Sep 08
OU08.CBT Oats Sep 08
RRU08.CBT Rough Rice
SMQ08.CBT Soybean Meal Aug 08
BOQ08.CBT Soybean Oil Aug 08 Chain,
SQ08.CBT

CLQ08.NYM Crude Oil Aug 08
HOQ08.NYM Heating Oil Aug 08
NGQ08.NYM Natural Gas Aug 08
PNQ08.NYM Propane Gas Aug 08
RBQ08.NYM RBOB Gasoline Aug 08

You'll need to update the months as they expire. The sequence for Jan -> Dec is F,G,H,J,K,M,N,Q,U,V,X,Z FYI.

montecarloss919

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
mutual fund

i know it is a little different subject but is there a way to look up mutual funds and municipal funds...etc on this app?

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I am new to stocks and am curious how you keep up with oil prices. I assume the symbol will change from October 08 to November 08 at some point? When and how do you keep up with it?

I get that you have to enter the months (F=Jan, G=Feb, H=Mar, J=Apr, K=May, M=June, N=July, Q=Aug, U=Sep, V=Oct, X=Nov, Z=Dec) but when do you change them?

Thanks

stock-market

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
hi

There are various sites such as: CME Group, Bloomberg, and Nymex that offer market quotes as well as commodity market prices.Moreover you can subscribe to online newsletters to get regular updates as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.