Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:07 AM   #1
skythefly13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Send a message via AIM to skythefly13
25 reasons NOT to get an iPhone 3G

From timesbusiness.typepad.com-

(Some reasons they use originally had embedded links. Look at this link: <http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/money_weblog/2008/07/reasons-to-avoi.html> to see all of the bogus reasons they list, such as #23, in all their glory!)

The wait is over. The iPhone 3G goes on sale today, and no doubt hordes of Apple fans will be queing outside Carphone Warehouse and outlets of O2 mobile - the only supplier - to get their hands on the hugely hyped handset.
Here at Times Money we were pretty scathing of the original iPhone (take a look at 50 reasons not to buy an iPhone), but Apple claims that its new version is a huge improvement. It is being billed as twice as fast and half as expensive as its debut model.
Given that Apple kept the phone under wraps ahead of the launch it's difficult to know whether the new phone is all its cracked up to be. If the hype is true it will certainly be a huge improvement on the original model. But there are downsides. Maybe not 50 this time around, but here are 25 things to consider before parting with your cash.
1. It's less expensive than its predecessor but still not cheap. The 8GB version is free to O2 customers who spend £45 a month or more on a new 18-month contract. The handset, available from 02, Carphone Warehouse and Apple outlets will cost £99 on a new £30 monthly tariff and the existing £35 per month tariff.
2. For the more powerful 16GB version it will cost £159 on the £30 and £35 tariffs, £59 on the £45 tariff and will only be free on the £75 tariff. So the cheapest deal over 18 months - the 8GB version on the £30 tariff - costs £599. For that you get "unlimited" internet surfing but a measly 75 free calls a month and 125 texts. You can compare it with existing deals here.
3. It will not be available on Pay & Go till later this year. This has angered some O2 customers. Moreover, it is in super-short supply even on contract, with only a few dozen initially supplied to each O2 store.
4. The touch screen isn't great if you're an obsessive texter. This was a problem with the first iPhone, although this guy seems to have cracked it.
5. Like the Model T-Ford the 8GB model is available in any colour - as long as its black.
6. Go for the more expensive 16GB version and you can get it in white too. Rumours had been that Apple was going to be a little more adventurous.
7. Its camera is rubbish. At just two megapixels with no flash it's worse than many standard phones leaving even fans feeling short changed. Phones such as the Nokia N95 boast five megapixels.
8. You canít use it to take videos, leading some critics to the conclusion that itís not sexy enough.
9. Like its predecessor the 3G handset is large and bulky. Not something you can just stick in your pocket and forget about. True, the new phone is thinner at the edges and weighs slightly less than the debut model, but otherwise the measurements are the same. Itís even been nicknamed the monolith.
10. To enable Apple to cut costs something had to go. The original iPhone had a hard-wearing silver aluminum back; the new one a less durable black plastic skin. So will it be able to cope with a beating like this?
11. The absence of a metal back means that it is unlikely to blend as prettily as its predecessor.
12. Itís going to be popular with terrorists if Apple's official ad is anything to go by.
13. Battery life is poor - just five to six hours of 3G calls or web browsing. One reviewer found that the indicator fell below 20 per cent by early to mid-afternoon on some trial days.
14. The battery is sealed into the handset, which must be sent off for replacement when it starts to wear out. This is a hassle and means that you can't carry around a spare for use on the move.
15. It inspires people with anger issues to post pointless and mistitled videos at Youtube.
16. If you are an Apple fan, you already own the old iPhone. Much of the new handset's improved functionality is already available in the free 2.0 software update.
17. If you are not an Apple fan, you may be an Apple "hater". In that case, you wouldn't want one.
18. If you live away from the big cities, you may well not have 3G coverage (check here). That would make the whole 3G phone thing pointless...
19. It has no instant messaging function - forcing users to SMS. But it doesn't have multimedia messaging (MMS), which means that users must send and receive photos by email.
20. The web browser has limited Adobe Flash support, so cannot display videos from many sites.
21. Incredibly for a "smart" phone, it has no copy and paste ability. Duh.
22. Who needs a phone with GPS? Anyway, it can't find a decent pizza when you need one.
23. The iPhone is sometimes termed the "Jesusphone". Tasteless.
24. Bluetooth enables headset voice calls on the new handset. A less-limited Bluetooth profile could have enabled wireless music streaming and file sharing, too.
25. Its unveiling by Steve Jobs, of Apple, was predictably and unbearably smug.
__________________
13" rMBP, Base Model
iPhone 5
iPad - 3rd Gen
skythefly13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:12 AM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I didn't read all 25, but here are my reasons:

1. Staying with Verizon will save me 1600$ over 2 years
2. My LG Dare has a crazy ass camera that pwns
3. The music player is good so I no longer need my iPod.

I only wanted the iPhone to replace my iPod, but now I have a good replacement.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:14 AM   #3
arkitect
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Another 25?

arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:21 AM   #4
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I didn't read all 25, but here are my reasons:

1. Staying with Verizon will save me 1600$ over 2 years
2. My LG Dare has a crazy ass camera that pwns
3. The music player is good so I no longer need my iPod.

I only wanted the iPhone to replace my iPod, but now I have a good replacement.
Lol, LG Dare.
JBaker122586 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:29 AM   #5
bobbba
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Can anyone be arsed enough to post 25 reasons to get an iPhone?
bobbba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:37 AM   #6
illutionz
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warwick, RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I didn't read all 25, but here are my reasons:

1. Staying with Verizon will save me 1600$ over 2 years
2. My LG Dare has a crazy ass camera that pwns
3. The music player is good so I no longer need my iPod.

I only wanted the iPhone to replace my iPod, but now I have a good replacement.

If I remember correctly LG Dare is a variant of LG Prada isn't it??
If it is, sorry to say this but it blows
illutionz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:11 AM   #7
Whorehay
macrumors 6502a
 
Whorehay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
It is kinda funny reading the list at 2 in the morning on my iphone. Some of the reasons are legit, some of them are hilarious, and the rest are just plain stupid
Whorehay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:15 AM   #8
Loonytik
macrumors 6502a
 
Loonytik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I didn't read all 25, but here are my reasons:

1. Staying with Verizon will save me 1600$ over 2 years
2. My LG Dare has a crazy ass camera that pwns
3. The music player is good so I no longer need my iPod.

I only wanted the iPhone to replace my iPod, but now I have a good replacement.
I played around with the LG Dare for about an hour the other day and it is a piece of shiat. The menus and functions are horrible and the browser is abysmal. The only thing it has going for it is that it is smaller than the 3G iphone.

LG Dare = Junk imo
__________________
MBA,iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, iPod Nano
Loonytik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:18 AM   #9
newyorksole
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LongIsland/NYC
The only reasons I see to hold off are:

1. Poor build quality (lots of people with leaks and cracks on their phones)
2. Buggy 2.0 software (which will be fixed soon)
3. 3G coverage not everywhere

I'm still getting it though.
newyorksole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:29 AM   #10
RedGlasses
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Thumbs down

I'd add:

*it's getting dirty in 2 secondes

*Bluetooth with hand free car system is a MESS... MY 3G IPHONE DOESN'T SYNC AT ALL WITH MY CAR (while my first iphone did...)

*It doesn't charge while playing music on my old BOSE soundsystem

*there is no way to customize its icons... so i'll JAILBREAK it just for that

*8GO of memory is a ripp off... When "empty" there is only 7,02 GO!!!! and 16 go only gives you 14....pfff

*you have to change your iphone v1 case(ok this is not a big deal)

*the black plastic is nice but will scratch in no time

*Without proper GPS nav software, GPS IS USELESS

*App Store doesn't offer the best apps outside US... PFFF (ebay, loopt, pandora...and so on...)

* IT IS MORE EXPANSIVE. do your own calcul...


thank you jobs
RedGlasses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:32 AM   #11
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
the biggest (2) reason(s) I'm sticking with my first gen iphone is that the improvements were modest this time around, and therefore, if I buy now, I waste my upgrade eligibility for next year, when we might see bigger changes.
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:41 AM   #12
notsofatjames
macrumors 6502a
 
notsofatjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wales, UK
Quote:
2. For the more powerful 16GB version it will cost £159 ....
Since when is the 16GB more powerful? Higher capacity, but the same other than that.

Quote:
19. It has no instant messaging function
Except for that damn pesky free AIM client...

Considering I would say The Times is quite a highly regarded newspaper, this article is pathetic. I dont disagree with some points, but its like an Editor told someone to come up with 25 reasons, and the first 25 reasons that came to mind were published, without any thought or edit.
__________________
Search before you post: MRoogle
notsofatjames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:52 AM   #13
illutionz
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warwick, RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGlasses View Post
I'd add:

*8GO of memory is a ripp off... When "empty" there is only 7,02 GO!!!! and 16 go only gives you 14....pfff
It's called Hard Disk Formatting and iPhone OS...
8 gigabyte of space, when formatted, will only have around 7.2gb left and additionally the 200mb is for the iPhone OS...

FYI, my 60GB Playstation 3, only has around 55 when empty which again shows the same thing as the iPhone

Also, my external hard drive 250GB only has around 233GB...

The larger the capacity, the more it will decrease when you format it plus agian you have to store that iPhone OS somewhere
illutionz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:53 AM   #14
MojoWill
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
25 reasons not to read this thread



FAIL
MojoWill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:04 AM   #15
WannaApple?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
That was a waste of not only my time to read that, but the writers time to write it. Most of the issues are not things that people are really concerned about...i.e. color, size, who else uses it, etc.

There are a few things of course that Apple could change or make better, however the positives outweigh the negatives here and that article was just pure grasping at straws stupid.
WannaApple? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:07 AM   #16
robecq
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denmark
FAIL
robecq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:24 AM   #17
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Disagree with number 4 straight away... I can text quicker than I ever could on a normal phone!

Maybe its just me and my 18 year old fingers!?
Concorde Rules is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:53 AM   #18
SolRayz
macrumors 6502a
 
SolRayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Send a message via AIM to SolRayz
Most of those reasons are so bogus. Actually I could come up with 25 legitimate reasons not to by the iPhone and maybe make something meanifulfg for Apple to consider...but most of those have already been brought up on this forum already. But for me the number one reason is loudness. The 3G much like the first gen is NOT LOUD ENOUGH. I can't even here the freakin ringtones where I work.
__________________
15" Unibody 2.8GHz, 4GB, 500GB Momentus XT
13" Blackbook 2.4GHz, 4GB, 250GB HD
"My goal is simply to try to make products that really are meaningful to people." Jonathan Ive
SolRayz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:03 AM   #19
Next Tuesday
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Orlando,FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRayz View Post
Most of those reasons are so bogus. Actually I could come up with 25 legitimate reasons not to by the iPhone and maybe make something meanifulfg for Apple to consider...but most of those have already been brought up on this forum already. But for me the number one reason is loudness. The 3G much like the first gen is NOT LOUD ENOUGH. I can't even here the freakin ringtones where I work.
My speaker is quite loud. You must work in lawn maintanance,lol.
Next Tuesday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:15 AM   #20
Next Tuesday
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Orlando,FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Tuesday View Post
My speaker is quite loud. You must work in lawn maintanance,lol.
Why do people come on here and complain profusely about the iphone. If u dont like it, dont get it and move on. I myself feel the iphone is one of the best phones ive had. Who cares if it doesnt have a 5 MP cam like the LG dare. theres a reason, the lg dare sucks otherwise. I have a digi cam for good pics. The black backing is actually better in the fact that it fits better in your hand and looks appeasing and doesnt make the iphoen feel like a brick like the old one. tom tom or some variant will have a turn by turn gps app out soon so thats no biggie. Theres way more but im done typing. If u dont like it, dont buy it. Dont come here whining that this phone or that phone is better than the iphone. Go buy a LG dare or blackberry.
Next Tuesday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:48 PM   #21
skubish
macrumors 68030
 
skubish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythefly13 View Post
From timesbusiness.typepad.com-

(Some reasons they use originally had embedded links. Look at this link: <http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/money_weblog/2008/07/reasons-to-avoi.html> to see all of the bogus reasons they list, such as #23, in all their glory!)

The wait is over. The iPhone 3G goes on sale today, and no doubt hordes of Apple fans will be queing outside Carphone Warehouse and outlets of O2 mobile - the only supplier - to get their hands on the hugely hyped handset.
Here at Times Money we were pretty scathing of the original iPhone (take a look at 50 reasons not to buy an iPhone), but Apple claims that its new version is a huge improvement. It is being billed as twice as fast and half as expensive as its debut model.
Given that Apple kept the phone under wraps ahead of the launch it's difficult to know whether the new phone is all its cracked up to be. If the hype is true it will certainly be a huge improvement on the original model. But there are downsides. Maybe not 50 this time around, but here are 25 things to consider before parting with your cash.
1. It's less expensive than its predecessor but still not cheap. The 8GB version is free to O2 customers who spend £45 a month or more on a new 18-month contract. The handset, available from 02, Carphone Warehouse and Apple outlets will cost £99 on a new £30 monthly tariff and the existing £35 per month tariff.
2. For the more powerful 16GB version it will cost £159 on the £30 and £35 tariffs, £59 on the £45 tariff and will only be free on the £75 tariff. So the cheapest deal over 18 months - the 8GB version on the £30 tariff - costs £599. For that you get "unlimited" internet surfing but a measly 75 free calls a month and 125 texts. You can compare it with existing deals here.
3. It will not be available on Pay & Go till later this year. This has angered some O2 customers. Moreover, it is in super-short supply even on contract, with only a few dozen initially supplied to each O2 store.
4. The touch screen isn't great if you're an obsessive texter. This was a problem with the first iPhone, although this guy seems to have cracked it.
5. Like the Model T-Ford the 8GB model is available in any colour - as long as its black.
6. Go for the more expensive 16GB version and you can get it in white too. Rumours had been that Apple was going to be a little more adventurous.
7. Its camera is rubbish. At just two megapixels with no flash it's worse than many standard phones leaving even fans feeling short changed. Phones such as the Nokia N95 boast five megapixels.
8. You canít use it to take videos, leading some critics to the conclusion that itís not sexy enough.
9. Like its predecessor the 3G handset is large and bulky. Not something you can just stick in your pocket and forget about. True, the new phone is thinner at the edges and weighs slightly less than the debut model, but otherwise the measurements are the same. Itís even been nicknamed the monolith.
10. To enable Apple to cut costs something had to go. The original iPhone had a hard-wearing silver aluminum back; the new one a less durable black plastic skin. So will it be able to cope with a beating like this?
11. The absence of a metal back means that it is unlikely to blend as prettily as its predecessor.
12. Itís going to be popular with terrorists if Apple's official ad is anything to go by.
13. Battery life is poor - just five to six hours of 3G calls or web browsing. One reviewer found that the indicator fell below 20 per cent by early to mid-afternoon on some trial days.
14. The battery is sealed into the handset, which must be sent off for replacement when it starts to wear out. This is a hassle and means that you can't carry around a spare for use on the move.
15. It inspires people with anger issues to post pointless and mistitled videos at Youtube.
16. If you are an Apple fan, you already own the old iPhone. Much of the new handset's improved functionality is already available in the free 2.0 software update.
17. If you are not an Apple fan, you may be an Apple "hater". In that case, you wouldn't want one.
18. If you live away from the big cities, you may well not have 3G coverage (check here). That would make the whole 3G phone thing pointless...
19. It has no instant messaging function - forcing users to SMS. But it doesn't have multimedia messaging (MMS), which means that users must send and receive photos by email.
20. The web browser has limited Adobe Flash support, so cannot display videos from many sites.
21. Incredibly for a "smart" phone, it has no copy and paste ability. Duh.
22. Who needs a phone with GPS? Anyway, it can't find a decent pizza when you need one.
23. The iPhone is sometimes termed the "Jesusphone". Tasteless.
24. Bluetooth enables headset voice calls on the new handset. A less-limited Bluetooth profile could have enabled wireless music streaming and file sharing, too.
25. Its unveiling by Steve Jobs, of Apple, was predictably and unbearably smug.
I think you meant to post this here.
__________________
iPad 3G 32GB
iMac C2D 24"
iPhone 3GS 32GB Black
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:54 PM   #22
SolRayz
macrumors 6502a
 
SolRayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Send a message via AIM to SolRayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Tuesday View Post
My speaker is quite loud. You must work in lawn maintanance,lol.


Actually I work in a warehouse and trust me the ringer is not loud enough and everyone who owns an iphone whether they want to admit it or not(fan boys) the phone fails at loudness, whether its the earpiece or the speakerphone, period. Thier failure to fix this in the 3G is my main reason for not upgrading right now.

Other than that I love my iphone, best phone I ever had.
__________________
15" Unibody 2.8GHz, 4GB, 500GB Momentus XT
13" Blackbook 2.4GHz, 4GB, 250GB HD
"My goal is simply to try to make products that really are meaningful to people." Jonathan Ive
SolRayz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:54 PM   #23
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythefly13 View Post
6. Go for the more expensive 16GB version and you can get it in white too. Rumours had been that Apple was going to be a little more adventurous.

8. You canít use it to take videos, leading some critics to the conclusion that itís not sexy enough.

11. The absence of a metal back means that it is unlikely to blend as prettily as its predecessor.

12. Itís going to be popular with terrorists if Apple's official ad is anything to go by.

15. It inspires people with anger issues to post pointless and mistitled videos at Youtube.

17. If you are not an Apple fan, you may be an Apple "hater". In that case,
you wouldn't want one.

22. Who needs a phone with GPS? Anyway, it can't find a decent pizza when you need one.

23. The iPhone is sometimes termed the "Jesusphone". Tasteless.

25. Its unveiling by Steve Jobs, of Apple, was predictably and unbearably smug.
9 reasons that make the author look sensationalistic enough to not bother considering his other 16 reasons...
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:00 PM   #24
Next Tuesday
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Orlando,FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
9 reasons that make the author look sensationalistic enough to not bother considering his other 16 reasons...
I must have a different iphone than u because my ear piece volume is so loud when i talk on the phone i actually have to turn it down to about 60%. As far as speakerphone and ringer volume, it all depends on the ringer u use. Mines super loud. Way louder than my 1st gen iphone. I think what u need is a nextel or some variaant of flip phone crap with a loud speaker and crappy UI and design.
Next Tuesday is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reasons not to buy an iPhone 5S TheAnvil iPhone 117 Jan 29, 2014 06:34 PM
50 reasons the Galaxy S3 is better than the iPhone 5 b24pgg Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 240 Nov 7, 2012 10:19 AM
GS3 or iPhone 5? 50 Reasons either way Lindsford Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Nov 1, 2012 01:06 AM
Reasons why upgrading to the 5 aren't worth the hassle (and reasons why I should). Big.Mac.Daddy iPhone 9 Sep 20, 2012 09:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC