Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
I'm considering buying an atv and would like to know what restrictions there are for playing mp4s on the atv.

I'm aware of the appletv specs page and have looked on there and I find it hard to believe that the appletv can't play 1080p and that the bit rate is limited to 4000?

Can anyone confirm this? I'm assuming people use their atv's for HD playback so does this mean that you can only do 720p? and the 4000 bitrate isn't really enough for that?!

Also, is there a file size limit?

marklight

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2006
Can anyone confirm this? I'm assuming people use their atv's for HD playback so does this mean that you can only do 720p? and the 4000 bitrate isn't really enough for that?!

Also, is there a file size limit?

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but the bitrate limit is 5000 profile level 4.1. Now that bitrate isn't set in stone. I've been doing files at 6600 kbit/sec and they look and play great. You'll have to play with it. And no there is not a size limit. I've been taking source material that is 1080p and has a bitrate of 9000 or so and I've been reducing it to 720p 6600 and the stuff looks awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.