Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:55 PM   #1
arvinb
macrumors member

Why does my mac keep chiming?

Twice now in the past few days my Mac has chimed every 10 seconds continuously while usage for an extended period of time. It's that two-tone chime that would come up with an error or popup sound, except I couldn't find any program telling me anything. I couldn't tell if it was coming from any specific program. The first time it happened i had to mute the speakers, and a few hours later it was gone. The second time it did it for about 10 minutes then went away.

Am I just going nuts?
arvinb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:57 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinb View Post
Twice now in the past few days my Mac has chimed every 10 seconds continuously while usage for an extended period of time. It's that two-tone chime that would come up with an error or popup sound, except I couldn't find any program telling me anything. I couldn't tell if it was coming from any specific program. The first time it happened i had to mute the speakers, and a few hours later it was gone. The second time it did it for about 10 minutes then went away.

Am I just going nuts?
It's telling you the time, every 10 seconds! Seriously, have you checked to see if there are any apps that need attention, or is your battery dying or some other system alert waiting for your response?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:03 PM   #3
arvinb
macrumors member

My bad, forgot to explain that it's an iMac

I'm thinking now that it was an annoying website, and that Firefox was open, but now I can't remember what site I might've been on or if I didn't close firefox that first time out.
arvinb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:53 PM   #4
H&Kie
macrumors regular

Was it a kind of error message like "Your computer has serious issues and will destroy itself wihin 10 minutes unless you download our awesome software?" If so, that kind of crapware is mostly targetting Windows users, but their irritating "advertisements" can also affect Mac browsers. Just ignore it and clean up the cookies/history/cache and all in Firefox or Safari or whatever browser you use.

If you got it on a serious site or a site you use regulary, you might also attend the webmaster about this "ad" that's soiling his site.

In some cases, the "advertised" software lets you take a testrun to see what "issues" your PC's got (again, it's mostly targetting Windows users). In the testrun, malware is installed and the misery starts. To get rid of this malware, you can buy a "disinfecting tool" from the crapware company that uninstalls the junk they installed in the first place.
H&Kie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:16 AM   #5
Mr. lax
macrumors 6502

My mac has started doing this too!! With nothing open on the computer, right after a fresh restart. It just chimes, every 2 minutes or so. I'm starting to think it's a virus or something.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:11 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. lax View Post
My mac has started doing this too!! With nothing open on the computer, right after a fresh restart. It just chimes, every 2 minutes or so. I'm starting to think it's a virus or something.
There are no viruses that run on Macs. Open Activity Monitor and see what's running. Also, check your
System Preferences > Accounts > your account> Login Items
to see what you have set to automatically launch when you boot up.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Mr. lax
macrumors 6502

Ok i feel like such an idiot. It was my phone telling me that batteries are low!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help