Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arvinb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Twice now in the past few days my Mac has chimed every 10 seconds continuously while usage for an extended period of time. It's that two-tone chime that would come up with an error or popup sound, except I couldn't find any program telling me anything. I couldn't tell if it was coming from any specific program. The first time it happened i had to mute the speakers, and a few hours later it was gone. The second time it did it for about 10 minutes then went away.

Am I just going nuts?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Twice now in the past few days my Mac has chimed every 10 seconds continuously while usage for an extended period of time. It's that two-tone chime that would come up with an error or popup sound, except I couldn't find any program telling me anything. I couldn't tell if it was coming from any specific program. The first time it happened i had to mute the speakers, and a few hours later it was gone. The second time it did it for about 10 minutes then went away.

Am I just going nuts?

It's telling you the time, every 10 seconds! :D Seriously, have you checked to see if there are any apps that need attention, or is your battery dying or some other system alert waiting for your response?

arvinb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
My bad, forgot to explain that it's an iMac :)

I'm thinking now that it was an annoying website, and that Firefox was open, but now I can't remember what site I might've been on or if I didn't close firefox that first time out.

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Was it a kind of error message like "Your computer has serious issues and will destroy itself wihin 10 minutes unless you download our awesome software?" If so, that kind of crapware is mostly targetting Windows users, but their irritating "advertisements" can also affect Mac browsers. Just ignore it and clean up the cookies/history/cache and all in Firefox or Safari or whatever browser you use.

If you got it on a serious site or a site you use regulary, you might also attend the webmaster about this "ad" that's soiling his site.

In some cases, the "advertised" software lets you take a testrun to see what "issues" your PC's got (again, it's mostly targetting Windows users). In the testrun, malware is installed and the misery starts. To get rid of this malware, you can buy a "disinfecting tool" from the crapware company that uninstalls the junk they installed in the first place.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
My mac has started doing this too!! With nothing open on the computer, right after a fresh restart. It just chimes, every 2 minutes or so. I'm starting to think it's a virus or something.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My mac has started doing this too!! With nothing open on the computer, right after a fresh restart. It just chimes, every 2 minutes or so. I'm starting to think it's a virus or something.

There are no viruses that run on Macs. Open Activity Monitor and see what's running. Also, check your
System Preferences > Accounts > your account> Login Items​
to see what you have set to automatically launch when you boot up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.