Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2003
texas
Are you able to edit scenes of a ripped dvd with Final Cut Express/Pro or DVD Studio without a minor in Software Engineering?

jmeccia

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2003
This is an odd question.

FCP will allow you to edit, fool around with, manipulate almost any video file. So, if you're asking if it's possible to re-edit a dvd-ripped movie... yes. It would be very time consuming, but possible.

Adobe Premiere is also a good program that would allow you to edit video, but I don't believe it's as versitle (sp?...sorry, i havent had any sleep) as FCP.

DVDSP doesnt allow the kind of editing that FCP does. Its simply DVD Authoring...but very good at it!

My problem, currently, is getting DVDSP to allow more than 90 mins of video onto a DVD-R. DVDSP1.5 only recognizes the .m2v file exports from FCP. .m2v files are DVD-Authorized MPEG2 video files. They are accompanied with either .aif files, or .ac3. Joining the two together gives you your audio and video for a DVD.

Anyway, hope that helps.

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express are editing programs. You would use either of these to edit your "ripped" scenes. Neither of these would require a "minor in Software Engineering".

Once your movie is edited to your liking, you would assemble the audio, video, and any menus and/or extras in DVD Studio Pro. You can fit several hours of video onto a 4.7GB DVD if the bitrate is set low enough.

A good quality MPEG 2 encoder like BitVice can give you high quality encodes with smaller file sizes than Compressor (or Cleaner for that matter).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.