Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 18, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1
aaamericana
macrumors newbie

Moving Software Programs to New Hard Drive

I am in the process of upgrading my Mac G4. One of the upgrades is installing a 500 gig Internal Hard Drive. I will be partitioning the drive, alloting 25 gigs to OS X Panther (I need the Classic mode to run some of my older progams), and 25 gigs to OS 9.2.2. One of the other partitions will house my software programs. The question is: Can I just drag my software programs from my current hard drive to the new one, or do I have to do a full install from my program discs?
aaamericana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:00 PM   #2
misterredman
macrumors 6502a

You should think about cloning the hard drive you are currently using to a partition of the new one. That way you will retain the whole applications and OS X. You may need to buy an external enclosure to do the job if you don't have another free slot inside you mac (i.e. in a Powerbook or iBook).

Copying the applications in OS X will only work for some: those that needed an installer when you installed them the first time will probably not work. Don't remember if it's possible with OS 9.
misterredman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
aaamericana
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterredman View Post
You should think about cloning the hard drive you are currently using to a partition of the new one. That way you will retain the whole applications and OS X. You may need to buy an external enclosure to do the job if you don't have another free slot inside you mac (i.e. in a Powerbook or iBook).

Copying the applications in OS X will only work for some: those that needed an installer when you installed them the first time will probably not work. Don't remember if it's possible with OS 9.
Won't this also clone everything that I trashed over the last five years? I would like to get rid of the trash. What program do I use to clone?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:28 PM   #4
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaamericana View Post
Won't this also clone everything that I trashed over the last five years? I would like to get rid of the trash. What program do I use to clone?
Not if you emptied the trash.

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! are the two cloning tools usually recommended. CCC is free, SD! is commercial, I prefer SD! for my own purposes.
JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:16 PM   #5
peapody
macrumors 68040

I did not know you can clone drives programs and all with mac (recently converted windows user). This is great, and sounds ideal for my situation as well.

After some light research, I think I will be doing this and using CCC. I haven't been able to verify if this will work with an external harddrive partitioned twice (120gb - which is the size of my internal drive for my MBP, and the remaining for data). Or do I have to use a solitary dedicated drive for the backup?

Last edited by peapody; Jul 20, 2008 at 11:41 PM.
peapody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 04:37 AM   #6
misterredman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapody View Post
I did not know you can clone drives programs and all with mac (recently converted windows user). This is great, and sounds ideal for my situation as well.

After some light research, I think I will be doing this and using CCC. I haven't been able to verify if this will work with an external harddrive partitioned twice (120gb - which is the size of my internal drive for my MBP, and the remaining for data). Or do I have to use a solitary dedicated drive for the backup?
An external partitioned drive will work fine, if the size is enough as you stated. I did it with CCC a couple days ago and it's working fine. Just be sure to check the cloned drive by booting from it at least once.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:04 AM   #7
aaamericana
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
Not if you emptied the trash.

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! are the two cloning tools usually recommended. CCC is free, SD! is commercial, I prefer SD! for my own purposes.
Thanks for the info. Still confused on the trash. It has been emptied, however, a program such as Norton Utilities allows me to retrieve some files from the hard drive. If I clone this hard drive and move the info to a new hard drive won't this "trash" also make the trip?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:44 AM   #8
misterredman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Still confused on the trash. It has been emptied, however, a program such as Norton Utilities allows me to retrieve some files from the hard drive. If I clone this hard drive and move the info to a new hard drive won't this "trash" also make the trip?
You should not worry about those deleted files anyway. Also if they were moved with the cloning they will not cause any problem at all. If you still prefer to remove them for security reasons you can use Disk Utility and select Erase Free Space and then one of the pass option. This will overwrite the deleted files with zeroes (one or more times), making the recovery with programs like Norton utilities impossible.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:51 AM   #9
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Quote:
No, the clone is not a bit for bit clone, it will only take over valid files.

Which Mac G4 do you have? The PowerMac models before the 2002 Quicksilver did not support internal hard drives of larger than 120 GB, so if you intend to install the 500 GB into the machine, then you should check first.

(note, it's best when posting on MR, to specify the model of your machine and the OS version)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:26 PM   #10
peapody
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterredman View Post
An external partitioned drive will work fine, if the size is enough as you stated. I did it with CCC a couple days ago and it's working fine. Just be sure to check the cloned drive by booting from it at least once.
Thanks, I just tried this out using a single usb portable drive and it seemed to work like a charm. Can't believe you can even do this.

I read somewhere that you can't boot from USB with CCC, yet somehow I was able to. Or was I just delusional and did something wrong? I remember reading that FW drive is required. Is this true? The last thing I want to do is mess up my cloned copy.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:59 AM   #11
misterredman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapody View Post
Thanks, I just tried this out using a single usb portable drive and it seemed to work like a charm. Can't believe you can even do this.

I read somewhere that you can't boot from USB with CCC, yet somehow I was able to. Or was I just delusional and did something wrong? I remember reading that FW drive is required. Is this true? The last thing I want to do is mess up my cloned copy.
It actually doesn't matter if you cloned the drive with CCC or another utility. It's more a matter of Intel vs PowerPC macs and may depends from the enclosure of the external drive. So if you can boot from the cloned drive and everything is working fine don't worry about it.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:01 PM   #12
aaamericana
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post

Which Mac G4 do you have? The PowerMac models before the 2002 Quicksilver did not support internal hard drives of larger than 120 GB, so if you intend to install the 500 GB into the machine, then you should check first.

(note, it's best when posting on MR, to specify the model of your machine and the OS version)
I have the Quicksilver model.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post

Actually, there is a piece of software that allows >120gb drives on all Macs 10.2 to 10.5.

http://www.speedtools2.com/ATA6.html
Intech SpeedTools ATA Hi-Capacity Driver
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help