Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:11 PM   #1
smilemoveon
macrumors newbie

VMware Fusion upgrade

Hi, every time I launch VMfusion, I got message "there is new version availabe, would you like to visit the site?", if I click ok it just directs me to the homepage of VM fusion, and if I click on the new version, it would ask me to buy it, there is no instruction on how to carry automatic upgrade from old version. In the VM fusion menu, there is no similar stuff like upgrade and download. I bought the VM fusion 2 months ago, is there any way to automatically upgrade to the new version?

Any input would be grateful.
smilemoveon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilemoveon View Post
Hi, every time I launch VMfusion, I got message "there is new version availabe, would you like to visit the site?", if I click ok it just directs me to the homepage of VM fusion, and if I click on the new version, it would ask me to buy it, there is no instruction on how to carry automatic upgrade from old version. In the VM fusion menu, there is no similar stuff like upgrade and download. I bought the VM fusion 2 months ago, is there any way to automatically upgrade to the new version?

Any input would be grateful.
Have you tried simply downloading the new version, and then uninstalling your current installation?

Then, install the new version with your current product key?

Don't know if it would work, but I suspect it likely would if you are entitled to the update.

Note... I have previously found that I could not re-install Fusion without first uninstalling it's previous installation using the uninstall routine. So, you would likely have to use the uninstall routine before you could re-use your key. I think they have a key management system in place.

Fortunately, I still had my previous system install on a backup so I could uninstall it. Then, installation worked fine on my fresh OS install.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:17 PM   #3
jaikob
macrumors 6502

Download the new version from the vmware website, mount the disk, and run the installer. Don't remove your old version.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
smilemoveon
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your time, flyinmac,jaikob.

As what you told, I just went to the download site and got the new version1.13 and then installed it without a problem. I just felt a bit wield, as all my previous
softwares would update it automatically if I agreed to the update or directed me to the download site with clear instructions. I would know how to do it next time if something like this happen again. cheers.
smilemoveon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 05:50 PM   #5
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Glad to hear that your update worked. Never hurts to ask questions. Better than getting into trouble
Old Jul 26, 2008, 05:52 PM   #6
MacDawg
macrumors P6

The update recognizes your previous activation key, so there should not be any problems. As the OP found out, just download and install... good to go.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help