Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:32 PM   #1
jakeacc
macrumors regular

App Store - Multiple iPhones/computers

Here is a hypothetical situation:

My wife and I have laptops. Her (crappy) music is on hers and my (sophisticated/diverse) music is on mine. We both purchase iTunes music on our respective computers, but use the same iTunes username/password.

We both buy iPhones. She syncs hers up to her (crappy) Dell laptop and I sync mine to my (sexy) Macbook Pro. I purchase several Apps such as Super Monkey Ball.

Since we are on the same iTunes account, can she get Super Monkey Ball on HER iPhone without us having to re-purchase it? Could I just copy the App file from my laptop and drop it in her iTunes App folder on her laptop?
jakeacc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:36 PM   #2
mattmccarty
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mattmccarty
The easiest way would be for her to buy the app from her laptop. iTunes should say that you already purchased the app with that account would you like to download it for free?

I removed an app from the mobile applications folder and it told me this. So I am guessing the app is linked to your iTunes account.

To be safe before doing this remove your credit card info from the iTunes account, you can never be too safe, and if it doesn't work then drap the mobile applications folder to her computer.

ps I am sorry she is a Windows user
mattmccarty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:35 PM   #3
jakeacc
macrumors regular

Hmmm, I have a feeling that wouldn't work. If that were the case, a bunch of friends could all share an iTunes account and only pay for music/movies/Apps once.

Actually, maybe that would work. iTunes allows you up to 5 computers to be "authorized".
jakeacc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:23 PM   #4
khanriazaoif
macrumors member

yes you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeacc View Post
Here is a hypothetical situation:

My wife and I have laptops. Her (crappy) music is on hers and my (sophisticated/diverse) music is on mine. We both purchase iTunes music on our respective computers, but use the same iTunes username/password.

We both buy iPhones. She syncs hers up to her (crappy) Dell laptop and I sync mine to my (sexy) Macbook Pro. I purchase several Apps such as Super Monkey Ball.

Since we are on the same iTunes account, can she get Super Monkey Ball on HER iPhone without us having to re-purchase it? Could I just copy the App file from my laptop and drop it in her iTunes App folder on her laptop?
my wife have the same setup and can share apps. we pay once for apps and even though we have seperate itunes we use the same itunes log in so it does not charge us twice for apps
15" 2.4 Ghz MBPro 2 GB Ram, 120 GB HD
khanriazaoif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 04:39 AM   #5
AceFernalld
macrumors 6502a

App purchases are linked to your iTunes account,so in theory you should be able to re-purchase a paid application for free on any computer authorized to the iTunes account the paid purchase was made on.

Ace

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps