Apps keep closing out - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:50 AM   #1
SPeditor
macrumors regular

Apps keep closing out

I go for a little while with my Apps working on my iPhone 3G, but then they each start to quite out after launching them. This goes for my free downloaded Apps. Then my iPhone restarts as if it crashed. Anyone else have this problem? How do we fix it?
SPeditor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 01:35 AM   #2
macduke
macrumors 68030

Sorry, just another "feature" of the 2.0 software. My guess is poor memory management within the iPhone OS X. Think about it...everyone says, including myself, that apps work fine after a reboot. Then after awhile they grind to a halt. Apparently not everything is getting closed out of the memory and some programs are still running in the background, at least partially. Apple hasn't even got this figured out yet for Safari...which is why it crashes sometimes. Either they need to stick 1gb of ram in the iPhone or they need to do something with their code. I heard a report, I think on TUAW, about how most of the developers are getting error reports back on their apps...and most of the faults are on Apple's side. Most of them can't even do anything to fix it. But you have to wonder, it seems like some apps are rock solid. Some apps that come to mind are the NEW Units converter, the Crash Bandicoot racing game, Sketches (I drew a detailed drawing on there for about an hour along with several other smaller drawings), Labyrinth, Shazam, Phone Saber...I don't think any of those have crashed. I just think these are birth pangs that we will laugh about in the years to come. Things will be fixed eventually, it just sucks that we have to deal with it until then.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 01:38 AM   #3
macduke
macrumors 68030

Oh...and another thing about memory...why can't Apple setup virtual memory using the iPhone's flash drive? Shoot, 512mb would be a huge improvement. They can just cache everything there. Flash memory has good random access times that would be good for these sorts of applications. I'd gladly give up this storage space if it means better stability.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting