Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:44 AM   #1
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Excluding SSID from Airport pick list

Someone in the neighborhood has just gotten a new wireless router, and suddenly the MacBook insists on grabbing their network ("default", so creative ) every time it wakes or boots up. My own network is almost never picked up without intervention. I figure it's gotta be one of three neighbors, gonna go chat with them today.

Assuming I can't find the owner and SSID broadcast is not turned off*, Is there a way to permanently exclude a given wireless network from the MacBook's "previously discovered" list? Or an SSID blacklist? Simply removing it from the Network (Advanced) pref pane for Airport doesn't do it.

* - One definite plus of not broadcasting your SSID: not annoying your neighbors
JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:03 AM   #2
merl1n
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
Someone in the neighborhood has just gotten a new wireless router, and suddenly the MacBook insists on grabbing their network ("default", so creative ) every time it wakes or boots up. My own network is almost never picked up without intervention. I figure it's gotta be one of three neighbors, gonna go chat with them today.

Assuming I can't find the owner and SSID broadcast is not turned off*, Is there a way to permanently exclude a given wireless network from the MacBook's "previously discovered" list? Or an SSID blacklist? Simply removing it from the Network (Advanced) pref pane for Airport doesn't do it.

* - One definite plus of not broadcasting your SSID: not annoying your neighbors
Go into System Prefs -> Network and select your Airport. Uncheck "Ask to join new networks". Then click on the "Advanced" button. Under the Airport tab, select the networks you don't want to be accessed and hit the "-" (minus) button so that it is removed. Click OK, and Apply.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:17 AM   #3
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
That doesn't remove the undesired SSID from the Airport dropdown (and by extension, I assume that it would grab it if my preferred network weren't seen). I'm looking to specifically exclude a network altogether.
JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4
merl1n
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
That doesn't remove the undesired SSID from the Airport dropdown (and by extension, I assume that it would grab it if my preferred network weren't seen). I'm looking to specifically exclude a network altogether.
You can't remove it from the Airport dropdown. The airport is designed to search for any wireless networks in its range and will then list them. But if you did what I instructed you to do, you shouldn't have a problem. You disabled "automatically join another network" and you removed the unwanted networks from your preferred networks list.

Just ignore it.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
On your preferred networks list in the System Preferences, move your network to the top of the list (and remove all others if desired). Your system will default to connecting to your network. You CANNOT exclude networks from the drop down list, as it is designed to list all networks broadcasting SSIDs, but you can bump your up in priority.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help