Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:30 PM   #1
bhimpele
macrumors member

You have to remove all music just to sync a ringtone????

Someone has to explain this to me:
I set itunes to sync a ringtone with my iphone. It then says that in order to do this, all music, movies, etc will be removed. I didnt think that could really be the case. Sure enough, after syncing the 3 second ringtone,....all of my music was gone. Why would this ever be????
bhimpele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2
gentlegiantcrai
macrumors regular

I believe this has something to do with the manually manage music and videos
gentlegiantcrai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Tallest Skil
Banned

You had previously deselected "Sync Music", so when you went to sync again, it didn't.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:40 PM   #4
schatzie
macrumors member

I would like to know this as well. I did a sync on my ringtone and everything was gone. Had to add them back in.
although, all iphone syncs after that were ok. I haven't tried adding another ringtone and see what happens.
schatzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:41 PM   #5
bhimpele
macrumors member

I usually do everything manually. I may have accidentally deselected "manuallly manage music". Is that the only reason that it would erase all the music, or is there something related to the ringtones?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhimpele View Post
Is that the only reason...
Yep.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:44 PM   #7
bhimpele
macrumors member

ok then...im the idiot then..oooops.
thank you for your help!
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:19 PM   #8
jsquared
macrumors 6502

So was the final answer all in having "Maunally Manage Music" selected you don't have to go through adding all you music again?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:26 PM   #9
bhimpele
macrumors member

actually, I just tried to remove the new ring tone and again it said I'd have to remove all music again....just to re-sync it. "Manual music" was on this time too.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:41 PM   #10
weslobombs
macrumors newbie

i aslo had this problem but resolved it.

I was dismayed to have itunes tell me I had to resync everything just to add a ringtone

BUT THEN....

I realized i was dragging the ringtones to the wrong part of the iphone hierarchy in the sidebar, the part labeled ringtones. you have to drag it to the ACTUAL IPHONE icon, and then it will add.

stupidly simple solution to a stupidly simple problem.
weslobombs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:04 PM   #11
cllinna
macrumors newbie

ringtones set to manual

I just had this same problem and thought it was so stupid, but like when i have my music set to be managed manually you add ringtones the same way you would with music, by just dragging them to the iphone icon. I was setting mine to manual and then going in through the sync option in the iphone control panel and adding ringtones that way. Then i did it told me it would delete everything and after the sync my manual setting was changed to basically nothing. No box was checked, so i am assuming itunes was like "what are you doing you asked to manually add music, why are you now using the sync function?" lol anyway now i just drag the ringtones like music and it works great! Much faster
cllinna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:46 AM   #12
AJayAgliolio
macrumors member

I was having a similar issue getting ringtones transferred...

I manually manage most of my stuff and didn't want to have all my music deleted by syncing so I tried dragging the ringtones over...

The ringtones would show up on my phone in iTunes, but when I went to access them on the actual phone, they were not there. Even dragging them to the iPhone icon didn't work for me...

Eventually I figured it out... I right-clicked on a ringtone I wanted to transfer and went to 'Get Info'... went to the 'Info' tab and deleted everything from every field except the name. I checked the other tabs to make sure that all those fields were cleared too. (Including changing the 'Genre' to None.)

After this I have been able to transfer any ringtone with no problem... just a simple drag and drop. Hope this helps if anyone's still having probs... this was really irking me for a while.
AJayAgliolio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:50 AM   #13
TheSpaz
Banned

One possibility is that the iPhone can only sync with 1 iTunes Library at a time. If you try to add a ringtone from a different computer than the one you added music with, it will definitely erase your iPhone.

I've never had it erase my music by adding ringtones though.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:58 AM   #14
soLoredd
macrumors 6502a

What about syncing ringtones from iPhone to the iTunes library? I just downloaded 2 ringtones off iTunes on my iPhone and was unable to sync them. Should I have just selected 'Transfer purchases from iPhone' instead?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:35 AM   #15
mystic man
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to mystic man Send a message via Skype™ to mystic man
Quote:
Originally Posted by weslobombs View Post
I was dismayed to have itunes tell me I had to resync everything just to add a ringtone

BUT THEN....

I realized i was dragging the ringtones to the wrong part of the iphone hierarchy in the sidebar, the part labeled ringtones. you have to drag it to the ACTUAL IPHONE icon, and then it will add.

stupidly simple solution to a stupidly simple problem.
thanks weslobombs
100% working solution
mystic man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:04 PM   #16
macfan60
macrumors newbie

Solution suggestion

Apparently Ringtones in ITunes are considered music and cannot be synced if you manually mange your music. It you try to sync it deletes all music. If you manually manage ringtones they do not transfer to the Iphone by dragging to the ringtones folder on the device. I found this work around to manually manage ringtones. And this also explains how to make ringtones in ITunes. I'm using ITunes 9.0.2 on a Mac and have an IPhone 3G s.
1) In music library select the song that you want as a ringtone. The KIND must be “Purchased AAC audio file”
2) Decide where to start and end it to create 30 seconds of play time
3) Right click to Get Info
4) Select Start and Stop time in Options
5) Click OK.
6) Select song again in music library. Right click. Select Convert to AAC.
7) Creates duplicate in your Music list.
8) Drag to desktop.
9) Rename file from M4A to M4r.
10: Import/Add to Library
11) Drag to Device ICON not Ringtone folder
macfan60 is offline Reply With Quote
macfan60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:47 PM   #17
macisthabest
macrumors newbie

1 ringtone??

hey guys i dragged my ringtone into the icon and it worked fine. but then i tried to do the same with another rintone .. it would sync and itunes would show that it is in my ringtones folder ... however when i go to sounds on my phone the ringtone is not there.. the only ringtone i have is the first 1 i synched.. can someone help?
macisthabest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:50 AM   #18
concept7
macrumors newbie

I manually manage ringtones
i drag them to the itunes library
then drag it from there to the iphone it self

these are m4r's that i am creating myself or downloading from the net
concept7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:54 PM   #19
geoscott
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJayAgliolio View Post
Eventually I figured it out... I right-clicked on a ringtone I wanted to transfer and went to 'Get Info'... went to the 'Info' tab and deleted everything from every field except the name. I checked the other tabs to make sure that all those fields were cleared too. (Including changing the 'Genre' to None.).
I have an iPhone 4 and iTunes 9.2 on 10.5.8. I was DYING from the added complication of having to deal with this. Syncing to put on ringtones when dragging-and-dropping were working perfectly for everything else then asking me to erase my music and books and movies just to sync some piddly-ass ringtones? Nightmare.

This SOLVED my problem IMMEDIATELY and the blog post I was writing about this asinine issue just became moot (and I'd been working on it for an hour, screenshots and everything. Would'a been cool.)

I really thought that inputting a complete set of information would be better in the long-run. I was sorely mistaken. Why WOULDN'T Apple want you to have 'ringtone' in the genre? Ghaaaagh.

I tried EVERYTHING. Lowering the bit-rate, redoing as VBR, having to deal with the Finder allowing iTunes to DELETE the offending file if it didn't work correctly (that's another issue I'm thinking of writing about later), and even allowing iTunes to delete my music and movies. Seeing I needed another ringtone the next day, I was not about to do that all over again. BESIDES taking me over an hour of Google-fu to get here...whew.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, AJayAgliolio.
geoscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:25 AM   #20
ronwoo
macrumors newbie

ringtones

I am new to the Iphone and seemed to have made a major error last night with the ringtone quandry. I found this forum and want to thank you all for the info. I was able to at least re set my sync to manual.
ronwoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting