Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Okay, well, I sold my iPod classic to my brother and we were trying to set up all his music and movies on it tonight. I do not have an ipod already, but I backed up all my music, and you know when you plug in the iPod and iTunes opens but with another persons library? It asks you if you want to delete everything on your iPod and resync with that library. Well I plugged my iPod into his library and resynced it and everything.

Everything was going good it seemed and a few hours ago is when we started running into problems. When you first plug the iPod into the computer and iTunes opens it syncs perfectly fine. But when you make some changes to songs in iTunes or w/e and click the 'Sync' button in iTunes for it to sync everything the whole iTunes freezes and the iPod itself freezes. The iPod freezes to the point of you need to reset it by holding the center button and menu. It always does this when we try to resync now, but is fine when you first sync it by plugging it in.

We are on a Windows machine and both iTunes and the iPod Classic are up to date on their updates. We were unsure if a restore of the iPod would work, but we do not want to lose all the music. When you restore it deletes everything and puts it back on, right?

Any help would be great, we are going on vacation and need some help.

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I already did the first 4 parts and basically already said that in my original post. The problem I am having seems to be causes by the things that were listed. I was trying to find a cause and isolate that instead of having to restore the iPod. I was looking for more help than a link to something I have already done.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well the very first step on the link says,

"Having trouble with your iPod? Follow the steps in the order. Complete them one by one and stop as soon as the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Make sure your iPod is fully charged

Make sure your iPod is fully charged and then toggle the Hold switch on and off"

In your post, you said you "reset it by holding the center button and menu". That's not the same thing. munson gave you a link to your solution. Before you criticize those who are trying to help, you may actually follow their recommendations to see if it works. You said, "I was looking for more help than a link to something I have already done." but you didn't say anything to indicate all the steps you have tried. Sorry, but if you want help, you need to be clear about what you've tried, so you won't get the same steps recommended.

junkmales214

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
**** dude,

you can do a lot of **** to ur ipod, but plainly as you can see, many times apple has **** that doesnt work, and instructions that dont do anything period. just so you know, when someone says they've tried those steps, gee, i guess they mean they've tried those steps and nothing happened......;) get a clue man and quit bitchin at other people for being frustrated at apples' poor service record... ;)
Well the very first step on the link says,

"Having trouble with your iPod? Follow the steps in the order. Complete them one by one and stop as soon as the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Make sure your iPod is fully charged

Make sure your iPod is fully charged and then toggle the Hold switch on and off"

In your post, you said you "reset it by holding the center button and menu". That's not the same thing. munson gave you a link to your solution. Before you criticize those who are trying to help, you may actually follow their recommendations to see if it works. You said, "I was looking for more help than a link to something I have already done." but you didn't say anything to indicate all the steps you have tried. Sorry, but if you want help, you need to be clear about what you've tried, so you won't get the same steps recommended.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
you can do a lot of **** to ur ipod, but plainly as you can see, many times apple has **** that doesnt work, and instructions that dont do anything period. just so you know, when someone says they've tried those steps, gee, i guess they mean they've tried those steps and nothing happened......;) get a clue man and quit bitchin at other people for being frustrated at apples' poor service record... ;)

First of all, this thread is 6 months old. Second, nobody needs your smartass comments. If you don't have something constructive to say, butt out! The OP got their answer, or they would have said otherwise. This is your first and only post in this forum. Not a good way to start!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
First of all, this thread is 6 months old. Second, nobody needs your smartass comments. If you don't have something constructive to say, butt out! The OP got their answer, or they would have said otherwise. This is your first and only post in this forum. Not a good way to start!

Ironic you should say that, since I was thinking pretty much the same thing when I read your original response.

a) You failed to understand the problem. The OP has (well, "had") a working iPod that worked except under very specific circumstances, suggesting a problem specific to the situation rather than one that would be fixed by toggling the hold switch. Furthermore, the problem seemed to be extremely reproducible if the same circumstances occured. In all reality it was probably an issue of editing metadata while the iPod was plugged in, something that may or may not have been fixed in recent versions of iTunes.

b) You didn't provide any helpful information yourself. Instead, you blindly (or perhaps just stupidly) directed the OP to follow munson's link that on moment's inspection pretty much anyone could see wasn't going to help. Since you automatically assumed that this was another run-of-the-mill "my iPod doesn't work" problems, this is understandable.

c) You chastise the OP for an incomplete description of the problem when, in fact, the description is quite good by the average level of competence sometimes seen in these forums.

While I don't agree with junkmales' comments, the basic principle of "try not to look like an idiot when you call someone out" still applies.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not going to carry on an argument about a 6 month old thread, especially with those who only want to criticize and not offer anything. The OP hasn't been on the forums for 6 months, so anything you say won't help them. The OP said they had tried a procedure different from the one offered. They didn't give any further information about the steps they tried. I suggested they go back and try the solution offered. They did NOT say they tried the steps as described, so it was a reasonable thing to suggest. End of discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.