Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
Alright here are step by step instructions for getting t-zones to work on 2.0.. I'm really tired, so i'm going to make this short and sweet.

First make sure you can SSH to your phone... Youll need to install the ssh component in Cydia.

Now open a text editor and create a file named "proxy.pac" with the contents of:

Code:
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0"))
return "PROXY 216.155.165.50:8080";
else
return "DIRECT";
}

Save that file.. then upload it to your phone in the directory: /private/var/preferences/

now... navigate to
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

download the preferences.plist file and modify it according to step 6 of: http://arashpayan.com/blog/index.php/2007/09/17/t-zones-aka-599-internet-access-on-the-iphone/

with the exception that the red code <string>file:///private/var/root/proxy.pac</string> ....
should be <string>file:///private/var/preferences/proxy.pac</string>

Finally upload it back to your phone...

Reboot and whala..

I hope this works for everyone!

z0n3x

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
I have followed this step by step, word for word. My .pac is in /private/var/preferances and my plist is in library/..

where do i go now?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the instructions! Before I upgraded I copied the proxy.pac and preferences.plist from my phone and couldn't find where to put them after I upgraded. It's all up and running now!

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Sometime between last night and this morning my EDGE died. I guess I'll reload the files and see if it works out. I have no idea why, cause it was working great.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
The only thing that works for me is E-mail. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
The only thing that works for me is E-mail. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

I'm in the same boat now. Nothing else is working. I was using it all earlier just fine. I wonder if T-Mobile is cracking down on us. Yikes!

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm in the same boat now. Nothing else is working. I was using it all earlier just fine. I wonder if T-Mobile is cracking down on us. Yikes!

Look in Cydia and look for the T-zones hack by BigBoss! Install and voila!

Safari. Works.
Weather. Works.
Stocks. Works.
Have not set up Mail yet. Will update!

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
does anyone know where exactly the change is?

i never used the ez way through installer, i always just manually edited the preferences.plist.

w/ 2.0 it looks like there are subtle changes ( a few extra lines of code ) that were not there before.

just wondering if anyone knew between what lines to place the proxy commands manually.

also, btw ...i used to do the proxy.pac as well, but then a few months back i changed it to the way w/o using the proxy.pac

<key>Proxies</key>
<dict>
<key>HTTPEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>HTTPPort</key>
<integer>8080</integer>
<key>HTTPProxy</key>
<string>216.155.165.50</string>
<key>HTTPSEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>HTTPSPort</key>
<integer>8080</integer>
<key>HTTPSProxy</key>
</dict>

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
nm, got it to work manually

here you go, edit away!

<string>ip1</string>
<key>Hardware</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
<key>UserDefinedName</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>
</dict>
<key>Proxies</key>
<dict>
<key>HTTPEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>HTTPPort</key>
<integer>8080</integer>
<key>HTTPProxy</key>
<key>HTTPSEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>HTTPSPort</key>
<integer>8080</integer>
<key>HTTPSProxy</key>
</dict>

<key>UserDefinedName</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>

all is working over edge. safari, mail, stock, weather ...no youtube though :(

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Still nothing. :confused:

Oh, I also restored/re-pwned since I forgot to save a copy of the preferences.plist file. Launched Cydia looking for SSH but found T-zones hack. Installed it.

And Mail does work as well.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Oh, I also restored/re-pwned since I forgot to save a copy of the preferences.plist file. Launched Cydia looking for SSH but found T-zones hack. Installed it.

And Mail does work as well.

For future reference, it's OpenSSH. I just re-pnwed mine as well, and just installed that OpenSSH now. I'm going to try doing this manually again. If it's a no go, I'll try the Cydia method. I'll keep ya updated on my situation.

EDIT:
I couldn't get it to connect via SSH, so I installed the Cydia hack and it's still doing nothing. Is it possible that T-Mobile's EDGE network has been down in my area all day?

Also, what are your settings in the Cellular Network Data fields?

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
For future reference, it's OpenSSH. I just re-pnwed mine as well, and just installed that OpenSSH now. I'm going to try doing this manually again. If it's a no go, I'll try the Cydia method. I'll keep ya updated on my situation.

Yeah, I looked under O, but nothing was under O (or S). Luckily I scrolled down to T.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

EDIT:
I couldn't get it to connect via SSH, so I installed the Cydia hack and it's still doing nothing. Is it possible that T-Mobile's EDGE network has been down in my area all day?

Also, what are your settings in the Cellular Network Data fields?

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username: *blank*
Password *blank*

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Ok, not sure what I did in the end, but it's working again. I had run the Cydia tzones hack and it didn't work. I finally got it to connect via SSH and there was no proxy.pac file on the phone. I placed that in the private/var/preferences/ folder and rebooted and now it's working... Safari, weather, app store, stocks, email, etc. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
My T-zones also randomly stopped working. Cydia also wouldn't let me reinstall the Hack, so I SSHed the files and everything works. This makes me wonder about syncing with iTunes, and if it somehow resets some files...

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Should I expect to get the same speed as I did from 1.1.3/1.1.4?

Yes, it's not incredibly fast, but it works. Also, I synced mine last night and it didn't kill tzones, so I have no idea what was going on with that. Oh well, it works now and I can't complain.

andylane

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2004
Not connecting via OpenSSH?

The deal with OpenSSH is that the first time you connect, it could take several minutes - it's generating a key. Leave it for a while, and come back.

This tripped me up.

I can recommend Cyberduck (make sure you're connecting as SFTP) for moving/copying files. (I know most people are familiar with the app, but it might not have occurred to people that it could be used to connect to your iPhone).

The OP's method worked great for me - thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.