Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The GPS in the iPhone is good. I've tested it in NJ and it had decent, quick results. But, it it just me, or does the GPS never show you actually moving? i.e. You'll be driving and the GPS jumps to where you are every once in a while, instead of actively following you on the map. I've heard some people say it works actively and some people say that it jumps, but in the few times I've tried using GPS in a few different places, even with a completely clear view of the sky, it never worked actively, not even for a few seconds. How is it for you guys? How is it for people in Jersey? BTW, I've used 3G every time I used the GPS, though it jumps around on EDGE, too.

muckymucky

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
i used it on a sunny day on our california's I-80 from Sacramento to San Francisco, the pin moves very fast very smoothly and does not jump. maybe it has to do with the clouds in the sky.. or buildings around you~ when i usual do mine i do it in open areas, with clear skys~

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
It works fine for me. Very smooth and gliding along. I havne't tried it in many difficult atmospheric conditions, but it found me in my house ( scary thought :eek: ).

junglykutha

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
London
The reason for the jerkiness in a moving car could be due to the downloading map data trying to keep up with the movement. Remember that normal navigation software maps are already on the phone or pda. It's exactly the same on my WM6 pda, TomTom is smooth whilee goggle maps struggle to keep up at high speeds.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I've only tried it walking rather than in a car but it tracks my slow ambulation very smoothly

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
It shows me moving along on the map but sometimes it is horribly inaccurate. Many times it will show me as traveling in the middle of the block as if I am driving through peoples back yards. Another time, it showed me as driving through a lake and the lake was at least 100 feet on the other side of the road. This was on my 3G phone with 3G enabled along with location services on..

My Garmin GPS is far more accurate.

bryanpage

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
I have previously downloaded some data from my Copilot GPS system and imported into Google Maps. I noticed that some of Googles road data is not particularly accurate, at least in the UK. Often it shows me driving through the fields on either side of the road, or bypassing junctions. The installed Copilot maps were much more accurate.

So I think some of the problems experienced may be Google Maps fault, rather than the built in GPS. When someone releases a third party GPS app we will know for sure.

phannon666

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Bucks, UK
It's usually a little slower than I expected to get a lock on, but once it's got that it's amazing, I was in a car park in a small town and it pin-pointed my location as close as 2 car park spaces from where I actually was, and then proceeded to smoothly glide and follow me around as I walked, haven't tried it in the car yet, but so far, very good!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Would you guys think there's something wrong with my iPhone 3G if it won't smoothly follow me, even with a clear sky? The GeniusBar obviously wouldn't be able to test if it's working right in my mall, so I'm wondering if anyone else's GPS always jumps around, especially people in NJ?

Type121

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2004
Northeast
It shows me moving along on the map but sometimes it is horribly inaccurate. Many times it will show me as traveling in the middle of the block as if I am driving through peoples back yards. Another time, it showed me as driving through a lake and the lake was at least 100 feet on the other side of the road. This was on my 3G phone with 3G enabled along with location services on..

My Garmin GPS is far more accurate.

I'll bet that the Garmin is not nearly as accurate as you think. If it's one of the units designed for turn-by-turn directions, it 'locks' on to the most likely road instead of showing the actual computed position. At its best, consumer GPS accuracy is rarely better than 15 feet and sometimes much worse depending on atmospheric conditions and satellite positions.

wikipedia said:
When taken together, autonomous civilian GPS horizontal position fixes are typically accurate to about 15 meters (50 ft).

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Do you guys think that I should exchange mine? I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem or something about the area I'm in.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Do you guys think that I should exchange mine? I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem or something about the area I'm in.

It doesn't hurt to bring it in and see what they say. It sounds only fair that your GPS should be working properly, although it might be for your area and conditions.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I don't think thar they could perform any tests in the Apple Store since GPS doesn't work inside of the mall it's in.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I went up north this past weekend and was actually amazed at how well it worked. I had initially dismissed it as something I'd never use, as I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CS that I love, but this worked damn good. It was great to have one device plugged into my Jeep providing GPS, music, phone, email, etc. One thing that I thought was particularly cool, is that you can use the satellite view while it tracks too!

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
I find that it looks more jumpy if I am zoomed in as far as it will go...I'm sure because of downloading the maps. It's not to the point of being annoying, though. Pretty amazing, actually, considering what it is doing!

I have also noticed a few times that it's maybe 20 or 30 ft. off and has me driving down people's back yards instead of the road. Weird because most of the other times, it's amazingly accurate.

Mine does the same thing. I haven't tested it a lot and I don't remember the weather conditions, but I've seen many other people in MR complain about that very same thing.. So it may be a defect, but it's a common one. If apple replaces yours let me know! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.