Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulwert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Hello, i have had my mac book pro for a week now and it is starting to make noises like coffee being made at the left speaker area. I do nt know what it is, does anyone have any ideas?

trek1500

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Sugar Land, Texas
Hello, i have had my mac book pro for a week now and it is starting to make noises like coffee being made at the left speaker area. I do nt know what it is, does anyone have any ideas?

Must be the fan...do a search on You Tube for Macbook Pro problems..I think I saw a video about the issue...I would bring it back if it's within the 14 day return period and have them swap it out for you..

I just got one and so far so good..

tjdabney

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
Call Apple or go to the Apple store

Since you've only had your machine a week, if you bought your mac online, I would call Apple's 800 number and explain your issue to them and try to get a new computer/have them fix it. If you bought it at an Apple store, I would simply bring it back to the store and show them the problem, and ask for an immediate remedy (best option would be a new machine, IMO). Remember one of Apple's credos is "Macs just work", so when they don't "just work" I give them hell.

It sounds like it might be a hard drive issue. Strange noises coming from that area are often associated with a hard drive going bad. Is there kind of a clicking, whirring and buzzing sound? If so, that's a hard drive about to die any moment. Immediately back up any important files you've created and get your machine looked at by Apple.

You may have a lemon... It happens, much to my surprise. I had major issues with both of my Macs purchased in 2002 (an iMac G5 that nearly exploded upon initial power up and a 17" PowerBook G4 with a dead display three days out of the box). It may take a bit of cajoling, but get them to take back your mac (if you purchased online, they'll send you a return shipping box and send you a new mac). That's what I did. It went quite smoothly. But, I had to do a bit of cajoling... I wasn't going to wait weeks for them to send me a new mac while they waited to receive my bad mac. So we found a way to link up with UPS with the return tracking number and then they shipped me my new equipment while my old/bad equipment went back to Apple.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.