Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Anyone else having this trouble?

I should mention that I'm doing this on WinXP (sorry). All was working fine, but in one of the most recent iTunes updates, synch stopped working. My firewire is fine; the iPod still charges using it, but it does not synch when plugged in at all.

Suggestions? Thanks!

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
No, sir - neither the iPod nor iTunes seem to realize that the iPod is plugged in (other than the iPod getting power via the firewire).

This was all working perfectly just a few months ago, then I didn't plug the iPod in for awhile (it was in the car with a lighter adapter for power), but I accepted a couple of updates of iTunes in the interim, so it has me thinking that one of those updates resulted in this situation, but I don't know that for sure.

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Sorry for the dumb question, but how is that done exactly? :) I suspect it's a hold-down-this-combination-of-buttons, but I'm not familiar with it. Thanks!

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Sorry for the dumb question, but how is that done exactly? :) I suspect it's a hold-down-this-combination-of-buttons, but I'm not familiar with it. Thanks!

I think that you toggle the hold switch on the top of the iPod a few times and then hold down the menu and center buttons at the same time until it restarts.

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Ok, tried resetting the iPod, no luck. Uninstalled iTunes, downloaded older version (6) and installed, and still no connectivity.

Ugh.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Ok, tried resetting the iPod, no luck. Uninstalled iTunes, downloaded older version (6) and installed, and still no connectivity.

Ugh.

I would always recomend having the latest version of iTunes. What I would do now is call Apple and ask them what to do. Also keep in mind that you have a "very" old iPod so it might just be it's time to go. :eek:

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Hehe, could very well be.

I went with an older version first, because a) it had worked under previous versions, and b) somewhere on here I saw someone say something about newer versions not supporting firewire (though never saw a definitive statement confirming that).

Thanks again for your posts and assistance. :)

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Hehe, could very well be.

I went with an older version first, because a) it had worked under previous versions, and b) somewhere on here I saw someone say something about newer versions not supporting firewire (though never saw a definitive statement confirming that).

Thanks again for your posts and assistance. :)

The newer iPods do not support firewire, the software has always supported it.

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Understood; this 'failure' on the part of my iPod occured at a time when an update to iTunes also occured, so it seemed that the iTunes update was causitive at some point, but nothing seems to make it work now. :)

jmacatac2002

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Let me give you my story. . .

I recently update as well, and I don't know when problems started occurring, but I was using the iPod and it was perfectly fine that entire night, until the morning I plugged it into my Mac . . .

and it came up on the desktop, said it was connected, but refused to show up on iTunes.

After I ejected it, and tried playing the songs from the Ipod. . . it just wouldn't play... none of my songs would play, and the album art was not moving it just stayed stuck on one picture. . .

So, I eventually plugged it into my PC, and my PC downloaded an update software to my iPod which I guess it needed. . . and it started working again.

With problems however on the Mac, to the eventual point where my MAC! erased all my songs, and now it copys songs is extremely slow, after restoring it several times.

But. . . if you have another laptop or computer around, mainly PC, try using it in that and see what happens.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
first gen iPods Did not support windows out of the box, at the time the iPod was a mac only thing. the 2nd Gen supported windows (via mac and PC versions of the iPod sold at retail). main difference is 1st gen the click wheel turned, 2nd gen it was a solid state wheel (kindof like the current one but looked like the 1G) I Think the 1st Gen iPod was only 5GB aswell and the 2nd gen added bigger sizes to go along with Windows XP Support.

I think the 1G could be updated to later (2ng gen) firmware to enable windows computability, BUT the only way to do that is to update it on a Mac, as Windows WILL NOT recognize the mac File System on the 1G (default)

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Yep, I bought this from a buddy who is/was a Mac guy, and it was formatted for Mac at the time, but (and I don't specifically remember the process) we reformatted it for use with Windows, and have been using it for a few years (4-5, maybe) as such with Windows only.

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
... and thanks, jmacatac, I'll try that, if I can find another PC about with a firewire port in it, hehe.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
this happened to me before (2 yrs ago) with my old iPod w/ photo; Windows formatted and had just installed iTunes update. got an error reading after plugging iPod; couldn;t sync it. was told that the iPod was corrupted. Good thing it worked fine with my Mac but I had to reformat the iPod and upload everything again. :(

jwhitwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Yep, going to try that next/last before giving up. I suppose instructions on how to do that are here somewhere. :)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
first gen iPods Did not support windows out of the box, at the time the iPod was a mac only thing. the 2nd Gen supported windows (via mac and PC versions of the iPod sold at retail). main difference is 1st gen the click wheel turned, 2nd gen it was a solid state wheel (kindof like the current one but looked like the 1G) I Think the 1st Gen iPod was only 5GB aswell and the 2nd gen added bigger sizes to go along with Windows XP Support.

I think the 1G could be updated to later (2ng gen) firmware to enable windows computability, BUT the only way to do that is to update it on a Mac, as Windows WILL NOT recognize the mac File System on the 1G (default)

Then how did I buy a 5gb iPod from CompUSA that had the jog wheel and worked out-of-the-box with Music Match Jukebox?

The Firewire ports have a nasty habit of failing after a while. If you're technologicalyl savvy, you might want to open up your iPod and re-solder the port onto the motherboard, as that may fix your problem.

pwheeler1994

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Same Here

I just traded with a buddy at work and formatted his iPod so i could put my own music on it. I also have Windows XP and have syncd other newer iPods, just no this one.:mad: If anyone could help us both, that would be awesome.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.