Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
hey folks i did a search on this but couldnt find anything so please redirect me to the link i missed or bear with me. i just ordered my new g4 ibook yesterday so it should be in my hands a few weeks from now. i ordered it with stock memory: 256mb(two 128mb sticks) i have also ordered from crucial a 512mb stick of memory for it(saved $50 by not buying it from apple) so my question is:

when my ibook finally arrives, should i install my memory before firing up my ibook? or should i fire it on and install it after i already played with it? i figure i could just fire it on and make sure that it works first and THEN turn it off and install it but if i do that would i have to re-load/boot the system? i mean since it is new HARDWARE i am installing. yeah its a lame question and maybe im over analyzing something so simple but this is my first apple(THATS RIGHT BABY! WOOO HOOO!) and just covering my @$$ so i dont f' up.

what do you guys think? your help is much appreciated. thanks.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
It's really up to you as adding RAM's not a major operation. If you test it first, all you have to do is shut it down, install the RAM, and turn it on - nothing extra is required. Likewise, you can do it before booting it up the first time.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I'd say make sure the computer works THEN install the memory. If for some reason there is something wrong with it, and you already installed the ram, apple may think the ram screwed up your computer.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Too bad that you bought it with 2 sticks of 128 mb ram. You could have saved yourself even more money, by just buying it with one stick. You will be replacing one stick with the 512 mb stick, because it only has one expandable ram port!! If you can, change your order to a single stick of 128 or 256 mb ram. According to Apple your G4 iBook can only handle 640 mb of ram, but it will probably handle 1024.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by Dreadnought
Too bad that you bought it with 2 sticks of 128 mb ram. You could have saved yourself even more money, by just buying it with one stick. You will be replacing one stick with the 512 mb stick, because it only has one expandable ram port!! If you can, change your order to a single stick of 128 or 256 mb ram. According to Apple your G4 iBook can only handle 640 mb of ram, but it will probably handle 1024.
iBooks have 128mb soldered onto the motherboard. There's only 1 user-replacable stick of RAM.

jero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
dread: i think 256 is stock. apple dosent let you get anything less than 256. once you get i think you can take one 128 stick out if you wanna replace it out yourself. im not 100% on that though maybe if id requested it they would have knocked off some on the price who knows? but i cant anymore cause i just got the email and they said it shipped already haha. yeah ive heard of a few folks that have 1gig in it, they say its all cool. no problems yet from what they tell me. thanks for the input man.

ducky+gator: yeah thanks for the info. i was just making sure know what i mean? i think i will run it first off and make sure its smooth and then add the 512. i wanna FEEL the difference when i add that memory haha.

thanks again.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
dread: i think 256 is stock. apple dosent let you get anything less than 256. once you get i think you can take one 128 stick out if you wanna replace it out yourself. im not 100% on that though maybe if id requested it they would have knocked off some on the price who knows? but i cant anymore cause i just got the email and they said it shipped already haha....
ducky+gator: yeah thanks for the info. i was just making sure know what i mean? i think i will run it first off and make sure its smooth and then add the 512. i wanna FEEL the difference when i add that memory haha.

Yeah, there is 128 built in and 128 in slot. I doubt you would be able to order it with only 128, but you could always put the other 128 on eBay and make a few bucks.

when I got my iBook, it only had 128 and I was running it like that for 3 days when I finally realized I forgot to put in my other 128 chip. When I added it there was definately a huge difference. If you add 512, then it should be noticeably faster.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
There is a real big performace difference. I got my powerbook at a retailer and had to wait for ram from crucial, once i went from 256 to 640 look out.......it was like a whole new mac with anything demanding.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Well (*cough*), back to topic. I'd also say to use the iBook first to make sure it works. Then install the RAM. I wouldn't use it too long before installing, just enough to see that it works fine. After installing, go to Apple Menu->About this Mac to make sure it recognizes the new RAM.

jero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
Originally posted by dukemeiser
Well (*cough*), back to topic. I'd also say to use the iBook first to make sure it works. Then install the RAM. I wouldn't use it too long before installing, just enough to see that it works fine. After installing, go to Apple Menu->About this Mac to make sure it recognizes the new RAM.

will do duke. i hear nothing but good about crucial but i will check to be sure.

mullens:yeah im sure it'll just fly once the 640 is in and running. i really wish apple didnt put such a low ram capacity on it. im wanting a gig of mem but dont have the $500 some sites are asking for it.

knowing my luck, it wouldnt surprise me if at mwsf they announce g4 ibooks with more ram capacity haha. isnt that how it always happens?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.