Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.smelgus1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I feel like an idiot. My piod touch may be completely, utterly, irreversibly bricked. I was trying to jailbreak it using Ziphone. I have the old itunes, so i didn't have to worry about the 1.1.5 update when restoring it. So i was jailbreaking it, and it said wait i think 1 min, 10 sec, so i walked out. MY ******** BROTHER decided to unplug my ipod while being jailbroken. So now, my ipod just has a ton of code on the interface. I try to reset it, by holding down the hold and home bottom until it shows the apple logo, but i do not get the USB cable icon like most people. It just goes back to showing me code. I plug it up, but itunes doesn't see it, and ziphone doesn't pick it up.

Does anybody have a solution on how to unbrick it?

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
restore.

have the ipod hucked up to mac/pc then hold the buttons down as you did to turn it off keep them held down now as soon as the apple logo appears let go of the sleep key only keep holding the home button till u see the itunes logo with a usb connection and restore away in iTunes

your ipod was not bricked it was stuck in a loop of code

Wikipedia said:
Brick (electronics)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When used in reference to electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a machine with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the machine now being considered "as useful, and as entertaining, as a brick." The term can also be used as a verb. For example, "I bricked my MP3 player when I tried to upgrade it."

In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that the device is completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. If the device can be repaired through software or firmware changes, it's not a brick.

Historically, the oldest reference known is from Fall 1990 at Ramstein AFB, where the term was used by the 1856 Comm Squadron there to describe what happened when you over-drove the flyback mechanism on a CRT, which on a particular model of IBM monitor could be done through firmware. The resultant destruction of the internal electronics resulted in the release of magic smoke and the square monitor being called a "brick" or a "doorstop" or a "boat anchor", depending on which NCO was describing the incident.

Brick may also refer to a Power Brick which is used to describe some external Mains AC to low voltage DC power converters commonly supplied with many consumer electronics devices. It is called a Brick, because generally even with a unit with an appealing design, a OEM power 'brick' (transformer) is generally supplied, and has a much less pleasing design - it generally is a black 'brick'.

The term "brick" can also be used to refer to a particularly large mobile phone, referring to the older style of telephone which was the size of a house brick.

In Laymen's terms:

IF YOU CAN MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR DEVICE, OR IF YOU CAN GO INTO RECOVERY MODE, IF THE SCREEN SHOWS SOMETHING, IT IS NOT A BRICK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.