Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1
dslynch
macrumors newbie

GarageBand Editing Existing iTunes songs

Hi,

I'm new to macs (but NEVER going back - I ***** love this mac!).

Anyway, I'm trying to use GarageBand to edit a song I have in iTunes. I'm putting together a CD, and want to edit out about 5 minutes of crowd interaction in the middle of a song from a live CD.

I should be able to use Garageband for that, right? When I go to file/open/my library/itunes/itunes music, none of the songs in my itunes library are available? They're all visible, but shadowed/grayed/whatever-you-call-it.

What am I doing wrong? This song is fully purchased and legal, I just want to edit out useless crowd interaction so that the song takes up less space on the cd I'm going to burn for myself.

Thanks.
dslynch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:46 PM   #2
apple.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslynch View Post
Hi,

I'm new to macs (but NEVER going back - I ***** love this mac!).

Anyway, I'm trying to use GarageBand to edit a song I have in iTunes. I'm putting together a CD, and want to edit out about 5 minutes of crowd interaction in the middle of a song from a live CD.

I should be able to use Garageband for that, right? When I go to file/open/my library/itunes/itunes music, none of the songs in my itunes library are available? They're all visible, but shadowed/grayed/whatever-you-call-it.

What am I doing wrong? This song is fully purchased and legal, I just want to edit out useless crowd interaction so that the song takes up less space on the cd I'm going to burn for myself.

Thanks.

you go go onto the right bottom and click the media browser, and then iTunes > Music > THE SONG YOU CHOOSE

if you need help, you can comment back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	2471
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	125692  
Attached Images

apple. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:06 PM   #3
dslynch
macrumors newbie

Geez, I always feel like an idiot when the answer is SO easy. Thank you.
dslynch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:14 AM   #4
apple.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslynch View Post
Geez, I always feel like an idiot when the answer is SO easy. Thank you.
nono, thank you.
im glad to help.
apple. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

You can also just drag a song directly from iTunes or the finder into Garageband.
Jolly Jimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:57 AM   #6
kwissylawrencek
macrumors member

yeah, i always drag it from finder. I kept having problems with the media browser in garage band. But remember, if you are just going to drag it into garage band, you need to drag it into the grey space beneath any existing tracks (including the first initial empty track).
Very handy for making ringtones without putting the whole song on your phone.
kwissylawrencek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:47 PM   #7
shirleejen
macrumors newbie

Editing itunes in GarageBand

I have no trouble bringing itune songs into GarageBand. But I don't have a clue as to how to edit them. I have no trouble editing itune music in iMovie, but it doesn't seem to work the same way in GarageBand. I am trying to create a medley of songs for an iPhoto slideshow. Any pointers would really be appreciated.
shirleejen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store