Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
vdubbb
macrumors newbie

cameras won't read on my mac

hey i have a Nikon D50 and a Cannon PowerShot SD 630 when i try and hook them up using a USB cord to my mac (it's a MAC OS X 10.5.2) nothing happens. My computer is not reading any of the cameras.

Help .. i have many pictures on both cameras i would like to put on my computer..if someone has an idea please let me know

thanks
vdubbb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:08 PM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbb View Post
hey i have a Nikon D50 and a Cannon PowerShot SD 630 when i try and hook them up using a USB cord to my mac (it's a MAC OS X 10.5.2) nothing happens. My computer is not reading any of the cameras.

Help .. i have many pictures on both cameras i would like to put on my computer..if someone has an idea please let me know

thanks
In preferences "nothing" is one of the selections of what to do when a camera is connected. This is how my system is set up. Just run "Image Capture" out of the applications folder.

Also the camera has an option. It can be set up to "look" like a mass storage device (disk drive) or a "camera" check the camera.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:17 PM   #3
vdubbb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
In preferences "nothing" is one of the selections of what to do when a camera is connected. This is how my system is set up. Just run "Image Capture" out of the applications folder.

Also the camera has an option. It can be set up to "look" like a mass storage device (disk drive) or a "camera" check the camera.

I've tried running both in "image capture" before i posted up. "image capture" says there is no device connected. I've had both cameras working on my boyfriends computer awhile ago and they both worked. But now his computer has too much music and pictures so now it takes to long to upload pictures and i don't want to be the one to crash his computer.

how do you set up the D50 to "look" like a mass storage ..(the nikon is my boyfriends so i'm not 100% how to use everything)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
I find that it is safer to use a memory card reader rather than trying to connect the camera itself to the computer. That way if there are any glitches I don't risk damaging my camera.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Vel
macrumors member

It may also just be a dodgy USB port as on my very old MBP the USB port on the left doesnt accept one of my portable drives but if I plug it into the port on the right it works fine, I'm sure you have probably tried it but thought it may be worth a mention, so I hope you get it working soon,

Vel
Vel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:23 PM   #6
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix Pix View Post
I find that it is safer to use a memory card reader rather than trying to connect the camera itself to the computer. That way if there are any glitches I don't risk damaging my camera.
Repeatedly inserting a CF card risks damaging the pins in the camera.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
True, that.....

Especially if one tries to use a CF card on a D50!!!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:04 PM   #8
RainForRent
macrumors 6502

I know a few pro photographers from school, they all use card readers. It's faster and you don't have to worry about this sort of thing. If your USB is having trouble, get an expresscard card reader by Griffin.

EDIT: it was another poster who was on a MBP, not that OP. Oops.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:15 PM   #9
leighonigar
macrumors 6502a

They should work. Are the cable and port known good?
leighonigar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:31 AM   #10
vdubbb
macrumors newbie

i just went out and bought a card reader. it works fine now

thanks for all the help

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography