Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vdubbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
hey i have a Nikon D50 and a Cannon PowerShot SD 630 when i try and hook them up using a USB cord to my mac (it's a MAC OS X 10.5.2) nothing happens. My computer is not reading any of the cameras.

Help .. i have many pictures on both cameras i would like to put on my computer..if someone has an idea please let me know
:confused:

thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hey i have a Nikon D50 and a Cannon PowerShot SD 630 when i try and hook them up using a USB cord to my mac (it's a MAC OS X 10.5.2) nothing happens. My computer is not reading any of the cameras.

Help .. i have many pictures on both cameras i would like to put on my computer..if someone has an idea please let me know
:confused:

thanks

In preferences "nothing" is one of the selections of what to do when a camera is connected. This is how my system is set up. Just run "Image Capture" out of the applications folder.

Also the camera has an option. It can be set up to "look" like a mass storage device (disk drive) or a "camera" check the camera.

vdubbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
In preferences "nothing" is one of the selections of what to do when a camera is connected. This is how my system is set up. Just run "Image Capture" out of the applications folder.

Also the camera has an option. It can be set up to "look" like a mass storage device (disk drive) or a "camera" check the camera.

I've tried running both in "image capture" before i posted up. "image capture" says there is no device connected. I've had both cameras working on my boyfriends computer awhile ago and they both worked. But now his computer has too much music and pictures so now it takes to long to upload pictures and i don't want to be the one to crash his computer.

how do you set up the D50 to "look" like a mass storage ..(the nikon is my boyfriends so i'm not 100% how to use everything)

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
It may also just be a dodgy USB port as on my very old MBP the USB port on the left doesnt accept one of my portable drives but if I plug it into the port on the right it works fine, I'm sure you have probably tried it but thought it may be worth a mention, so I hope you get it working soon,

Vel

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I find that it is safer to use a memory card reader rather than trying to connect the camera itself to the computer. That way if there are any glitches I don't risk damaging my camera.

Repeatedly inserting a CF card risks damaging the pins in the camera.

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
I know a few pro photographers from school, they all use card readers. It's faster and you don't have to worry about this sort of thing. If your USB is having trouble, get an expresscard card reader by Griffin.

EDIT: it was another poster who was on a MBP, not that OP. Oops.

vdubbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
i just went out and bought a card reader. it works fine now

thanks for all the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.