Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi All,

We recently had to move all our data, which included our iTunes library, from a G5 server, to an external firewire Hard Drive. (Moral of this story is don't by hardware from eBay).

After we moved the library. I changed the settings in the Advanced section of iTunes, so it knew where to locate the library. I've done this in the past, to other servers (always OS X servers) and only ever had a few teething issues prior to it sorting it's self out.

Not this time!.

We've lost heaps of our artwork (Movies, TV shows, CDs etc) and many of the media files, although they can be seen in iTunes, require me to locate them. If I have to do this for all my media I may as well throw it all away and start again.

My question is; does anyone know of an easy/fool-proof and reliable way the "rebuild" the library?

Thanks in advance.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
does anyone know of an easy/fool-proof and reliable way the "rebuild" the library?

If you have sorted out any hardware issues (and only if), you can use the iTunes/File/Add to Library menu item, and point to your library on disk (yes, the same place iTunes is using in Preferences/Advanced) and iTunes will rescan the disk and add/update it's internal data. It should not duplicate anything, and should preserve existing data except for the 'date added' field.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.