Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anybody has experience with the following...

I have a Mac running OSX and a PC running Windows 2000. I also have a Lexmark Z32 USB printer.

I'm running both computers through a hub, and am able to use SMB to see shared directories on the PC with my Mac.

Is it possible for both computers to use the same printer without having to unplug the USB cable from one computer and plug it in to the other?

Right now, the printer is set up on the W2K computer, and the printer is being shared. However, I couldn't find through Mac OSX how to see the shared printer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Mac OS X 10.1 can see LPR printers, but I'm not sure about USB printers. OS X has some serious printer issues actually. But much will be fixed with Jagwire and CUPS printing. With Jagwire OS X can share printers as well.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you are hard wired, check out Sharity. I tried it briefly for accessing my win2k game peecee but had to remove it since it wacked out my airport connection. I was unable to get a stable connection once Sharity was installed. It took some doing to get rid of all of it, but I did. Now my airport connection is stable once again. I think Sharity might allow you to connect to peecee printers (shared from the pc).

Since you mentioned using a hub, I suggest getting a network switch. There is a difference. A hub spits the bandwidth between all the systems connected. A switch goes just to the one you are targetting.

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
I wasn't Clear

Alphatech, My PC and Mac are networked via Ethernet, not USB.

The only USB piece in the puzzle is the printer. I wish it were a networked printer with Ethernet, but alas, it's not.

Within the print center, I can add printers in the following manners:

Appletalk
LPR Printer using IP
USB
Directory Service

Does anybody know what "Directory Service" is?

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
I wasn't Clear

Alphatech, My PC and Mac are networked via Ethernet, not USB.

The only USB piece in the puzzle is the printer. I wish it were a networked printer with Ethernet, but alas, it's not.

Within the print center, I can add printers in the following manners:

Appletalk
LPR Printer using IP
USB
Directory Service

Does anybody know what "Directory Service" is?

blindman858

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2001
since we are on the topic

i have mac os 9 sadly and a computer runnign windows xp. I have a dsl conenction with pacbell. i got a netgear router slash switch. I managed to get the pc on the router. But i am having trouble with the mac. For some reason when i restart the mac after putting the router in, the os is generating the ips not the router. Therefore with these invalid ips i can not enter the browser based set up any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.