Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
What do y'all think about waiting for QFL or purchasing iBank now?

I'm currently using Quicken 2006, and it's getting by, but it's slow and clunky (and I want something new to play with). If iBank wasn't so expensive, I might just buy that now, and would consider QFL when it launches (if it ever does). For $60, that's pretty close to what QFL will be.

The reason I'm not considering any of the other apps are that the ones I've tried don't download transactions. It's kind of a requirement for me right now, although once I get these darned credit cards paid off, I probably won't need it, since my bank doesn't support it.

Edit: What do y'all think about Quicken online? I just noticed that's now an option. Has anyone used it?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I have a really bad taste in my mouth over Quicken. They've sucked on the Mac for so long and been rather uncaring about the platform for so long that I'm really hesitant to reward them with even more of my money.

At this point, if I were in a mood to spend money picking a home accounting package, i'd give serious thought to anyone other than Quicken, just to help send Intuit a message.

Seibikitei

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Yarmouth, ME
This is actually a question I'll be trying to answer once I get a macbook, currently I'm holding out for the refresh. Has there been any news on when Quicken Financial Life is actually going to be released? I read up on it a while ago and like the idea that they're doing a complete revamp and actually tailoring it for OSX instead of being a subpar port of the Windows version (from what I've read).

Be interested in knowing if they've got a release time set or if its still just fall of '08. But yeah, ibank seemed really to be the only other decent contender for being able to do budgeting/household finances and follow a portfolio of investments.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm setting my stuff up for Quicken Online right now. So far, it's kind of neat. And at $3/month, it'll be 2 years before I start losing money as opposed to buying a software package.

On their site, it still has Fall 2008 for Quicken Financial Life. They're also saying that Quicken Online supports IE, FF, and Safari browsers, and mention that you can check it at any computer or your iPhone. I think they're really trying to support Apple, but their old programs were just too clunky for the Intel Macs and they wanted to start over and do it right.

I'm really not sure what the difference their huge program has over the less than 10MB download for iBank, Money, Moneydance, and the like. Being a Quicken/Microsoft Money user for almost 10 years, it's hard for me to switch.

StoneRelics

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2007
I use to use Quicken '06 and made the switch to iBank. It's pretty easy to set it up to download your transactions online. Color coding transaction by type is pretty handy too. I just think that once QFL comes out it will be pretty weak and buggy. It will take Quicken a couple updates to get it right.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
I had Quicken, and I dumped it. Went to iBank and it's been great. You can download transactions easily, and with the iBank iPhone feature I can key in items as my phone to see a running balance. I don't plan on going back to Quicken, too clunky and slow.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I know others will download the transactions. I think Moneydance does, but there was something I didn't like about it and deleted it about 5 minutes after opening it.

I think the only one I kind of liked was Money, but there was some reason why I decided to pass.

Scott Saint

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
iBank 3.1

I have been a quicken user since before time. But a few years back I bought a Mac and now I cant stand quicken.
Recently, I have been researching iBank. I have heard alot of good and bad for this software. They now have a 3.1 version out. Has anyone any feed back on this?
I downloaded it for free, and am going to try it, but haven't got the chance yet.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have been a quicken user since before time...
Not sure if I qualify as before time but I have a continuous Quicken file since 1992. Switched to a Mac about 2 months ago using Fusion/Windows/Quicken for now. Really want to stay Quicken and patiently waiting on 09 but concerned it won't match the Windows version. Will iBank read/convert the Quicken data file?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Not sure if I qualify as before time but I have a continuous Quicken file since 1992. Switched to a Mac about 2 months ago using Fusion/Windows/Quicken for now. Really want to stay Quicken and patiently waiting on 09 but concerned it won't match the Windows version. Will iBank read/convert the Quicken data file?

I downloaded iBank and it wouldn't read Quicken 2007 qdfm files.

Scott Saint

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
gonna try today

i am going to try ibank now, but i dont think i am going to put my quicken file in it. i am planning on starting fresh with ibank and just leaving quicken on the mac.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
I use iBank and Im very happy with that small application. It usually convert all formats just fine. I'm downloading quicken files from my bank and they are imported into the iBank without any problems. I would really recommend iBank to all mac users. Version 2 was not bad but had many shortcomings. 3.1 is really nice.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I'm setting my stuff up for Quicken Online right now. So far, it's kind of neat. And at $3/month, it'll be 2 years before I start losing money as opposed to buying a software package.

Thanks for this suggestion. I didn't even know Quicken had an online version. It's perfect because my wife likes to hold onto the checkbook and I hate having to call and find out if we have money in the account. This way we both can monitor and update the account as needed.

I would like to see the addition of a Bill Pay option. I'm actually surprised this feature hasn't been implemented yet.

But for $3/month I can't really complain. It's nice just to be able to stay current with our accounts.

Scott Saint

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
did not work

it must have been me, but when i started down loading info from my bank into ibank, my whole mac crashed. my mouse wouldn't work, and i had to power it off from the on button on the back, twice. i removed ibank from the computer, and am now using my old Quicken 07. i will continue with this until maybe 09 when hopefully something better comes out.:(

ScottSyrNY

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
Syracuse NY
I'm also in the market for personal finance software, nothing too fancy needed. Just household budgeting, CC management, checking account and a 401k...the basics pretty much...but I would like to utilize downloading of account info and have it inputed into whatever financial software I use.

I see there are a few people recommending ibank. I've done some searching/reading and there were plenty of mediocre to poor reviews for ibank so I had crossed it off my list of possibilities (that can change I guess). Moneydance seemed to get good reviews and does the downloading of account info that many of us desire. Does anyone have knowledge/experience with the current version of moneydance?

I have pretty much ruled out the current Intuit products because of the seemingly overwhelming poor reviews on either their products, service and/or business vision.

Guess I'm still feeling my way around looking for the right (for me) personal finance software. I'll be following the thread with great interest to see what light you guys can shed.

Thanks in advance.

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I see there are a few people recommending ibank. I've done some searching/reading and there were plenty of mediocre to poor reviews for ibank so I had crossed it off my list of possibilities (that can change I guess). Moneydance seemed to get good reviews and does the downloading of account info that many of us desire. Does anyone have knowledge/experience with the current version of moneydance?

I'm a current Moneydance user. I use it for a simple bank account and I "manipulate" it using sub accounts to do envelope budgeting. Its java, been around for ages and fairly mature. The GUI is a bit finicky though but it performs its job well and is quite feature full. I don't use it for online though (no online connections with any Australian bank) so can't comment on that.

iBank I thought was ok in version 2 if a little buggy. With v3 the developers chose to glam it up with coverflow and other such nonsense rather than concentrate on finance functionality.

Another I think is pretty good is LiquidLedger. It doesn't do online but its got loads of features with a pleasant and straightforward interface. Worth checking out.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I decided to just wait till Quicken Financial Life comes out later this year. I tried using iBank a bit more, and didn't like how it is with entering items. You had to actually move the cursor to click save. I know, what's the big deal, right? But, it was annoying. Plus, I'd rather spend my money on something else right now and keep the free Quicken 2006 that I've been using. It's slow and kind of clunky, but it gets the job done.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I don't know what kind of functionality you need, but I would recommend Moneydance. In addition to being a great product, the user agreement is fair! It may do all you need - I just don't get all that sophisticated with this kind of software.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
The data file is uploaded to your MobileMe/.Mac account, or whatever you want to call it. Then when you access it via your iPhone you log onto your iDisk through https, and then it presents the file as a web app. From there you see your balance, and you can "touch" your balance to enter in transactions. It then saves the transactions to update your balance. You can sync this data within iBank between your desktop data file and the "iPhone" file saved on your iDisk.
I hope that helps in understanding the function.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
What do y'all think about waiting for QFL or purchasing iBank now?

I'm currently using Quicken 2006, and it's getting by, but it's slow and clunky (and I want something new to play with). If iBank wasn't so expensive, I might just buy that now, and would consider QFL when it launches (if it ever does). For $60, that's pretty close to what QFL will be.
I hope Quicken Financial Life is powerful program that is compatible with Quicken and MS Money data. But there's little information on it and the early previews suggested it's going to be a lightweight app.

Until it comes out, or something better, I use MS Money in Parallels / WinXP. I've been doing personal finance for 15+ years, and about ten of those in MS Money. And I hope to keep doing so, with my records for the next 10 or 20. So as long as possible, I need an application that can read Money (or Quicken) data -- and can export it if I need to change applications.

I've not heard that any of the indy finance apps are Money or Quicken compatible or have anywhere near the same feature set. If they are in the same league, I'd love to hear it.

TexasAg03

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Qif

I downloaded iBank and it wouldn't read Quicken 2007 qdfm files.

Go to File - Export - To QIF

iBank will import the QIF file. It won't import when using it as a demo, but it does list all the transactions. It will read Quicken 2007 files...

ScottSyrNY

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
Syracuse NY
just thought I'd resurrect this thread......what are the opinions on the current available personal finance software apps......post your experiences/insights...products to stay away from, etc.

PassionVoyages

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
iCompta is just great. It's a freeware though it's far better than many commercial apps. Moreover a new iPhone version has just been released on the app store and it can synchronize easily with the desktop version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.