Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
I do :(

Been suffering with a 2gb 2nd gen nano for nearly two years now... I rejoiced at the macrumors posting about a possible doubling in the capacity... but a quick check with my music collection and it seems even 16gb might not last me in a year or so to come.

Not interested in Classic since it's bulky, I like slipping the nano into my jeans pocket. Not interested in the Touch too, since I'm only in for the music.

Anyone?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I won't even consider buying an iPod until there's a 200GB version with zero DRM issues.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
....which is why I keep my music collection on my MBP/external drives! Can't fit it all on any iPod! :D

Well, I refuse to buy another laptop until the SSD reaches 200 gigs and becomes affordable. And I refuse to buy a car until they come out with a plug in hybrid. And I refuse to breathe the air until they ... uh ... <cough> ... <gasp> ...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, I refuse to buy another laptop until the SSD reaches 200 gigs and becomes affordable. And I refuse to buy a car until they come out with a plug in hybrid. And I refuse to breathe the air until they ... uh ... <cough> ... <gasp> ...

... and your point is....? Those are certainly your choices, in the same way some refuse to buy a car unless it's a particular color or refuse to buy a certain brand of something. I didn't say "refuse", and my reason is strictly about functionality, not a whim or emotional issue. I don't want to buy a device to carry my music collection, unless it can carry my entire music collection.... not just a part of it.

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC

Ha! :p I'm for a 32 gig nano. Yep - still using a 2nd gen 2 gig. 32 gig would be a monster to me :)

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think we may see 16 and 32 GB nanos when the next generation arrives probably this September. However, due to the small size of the nano, they will probably stick with the Click Wheel interface for now.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I wouldnt mind a slightly thicker nano with a 32gb capacity. Im pretty happy with my 16gb iPhone but a 32gb nano would probably be hard to pass on.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Steve will never make a product thicker just to add capacity :)

My prediction is 8 and 16GB with new colours. And you'll have to buy a 16 to get plain old black.

Greg

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
I think we may see 16 and 32 GB nanos when the next generation arrives probably this September. However, due to the small size of the nano, they will probably stick with the Click Wheel interface for now.

That would be likely, since the iPod Touch name would probably lose it's meaning if the iPod nano has that feature as well :p

Call me conservative, I still prefer the click-wheel for pure music enjoyment.

jeremyrader

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
... and your point is....? Those are certainly your choices, in the same way some refuse to buy a car unless it's a particular color or refuse to buy a certain brand of something. I didn't say "refuse", and my reason is strictly about functionality, not a whim or emotional issue. I don't want to buy a device to carry my music collection, unless it can carry my entire music collection.... not just a part of it.

I realize you're "only in it for the music." I was only in it for the Nike+ when I got my 1g 1GB. Problem is, even with 32GB of space for your music you'll soon be staring at the screen going, "how the heck am I going to fit my DVD collection on here?" :D

I've only got 18GB or so of music on my laptop, and I hate to think how much space the rest of the CD's would take. Then there's the 5GB of photos (personally taken family photos - most still in RAW format, not downloaded "adult material", before someone makes a snide comment...). And movies? That's all going on a server (ongoing project, and the music and photos will be next). I'd love more space too, but I've learned to break stuff up into an assortment of playlists and just take what I'm likely to use for the day - music playlists for running/working out/relaxing/driving as appropriate, plus recent photos of the kids, a couple favorite short movies/videos for a quick laugh, and the daily handful of podcast episodes - all on a measly 3g 4GB.

To be honest, the only thing stopping me from going to the Touch right now is Nike+, the whole reason I went Nano in the first place. I'm sure an app is in the works. Maybe during the education drive next year (promised my son I'd get him a new laptop for college, free Touch for me sounds good!).

My suggestion, then, would be to break up your collection into manageable playlists, and change them up on a regular basis if you're set on the thinness factor of the Nano. Or you could go with a non-Apple player that has expandable flash storage and start transferring all your stuff onto miniSDs or whatever if taking it all with you is more important.

Flash prices are dropping, and recent manufacturing/design/process breakthroughs will soon have double the capacity for the same size on the market soon. So a 32GB Nano isn't out of the question, just not very soon - maybe September next year.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I realize you're "only in it for the music." ... Then there's the 5GB of photos ....And movies? .... ..My suggestion, then, would be to break up your collection into manageable playlists, and change them up on a regular basis ...

Understand, I'm not criticizing any version of the iPod. I realize that everyone has their own listening styles. If I add my photo and movie collection to the mix, it only makes an iPod farther out of reach, in terms of storage. Plus, in my opinion, the iPods are too small for anything visual. If I prefer watching movies on a 65" Plasma HDTV, how could I possibly enjoy them on a 3" screen? I've spent too many decades looking at computer screens, so my eyes aren't what they used to be! (plus, there's a nasty rumor going around that my age has something to do with my less-than-perfect vision! :D)

As far as music, I want to just enjoy my music and play what comes to mind that I'm in the mood for, which I never can predict. I don't want to spend time dividing and sub-dividing my collection into playlists. Plus, inevitably, I'd want to hear something that's on a different playlist that's not on the iPod. With over 30,000 songs and over 150GB, just breaking it up into meaningful playlists would be a huge task. I realize the iPods weren't designed for efficient management of very large collections, so I'm happy for now, playing my music on my MBP and home theater.

mr.666

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
i like to push buttons so here it goes...

the iPod in any form is just A PLAYBACK DEVICE. why all this talk of 150GB of media? thats why it sync's/is used with a computer. why would you want it to be a vault of everything you've ever heard or seen on dvd?

what'd ya do when an LP didnt fit on a cassette for your car? not buy cassettes or instal a turntable in your car?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Because your intent is to "push buttons" rather than contribute in a meaningful way (as you did in another forum and had your comment deleted by a moderator), I'll choose to disregard your post.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California

the iPod in any form is just A PLAYBACK DEVICE. why all this talk of 150GB of media? thats why it sync's/is used with a computer. why would you want it to be a vault of everything you've ever heard or seen on dvd?

what'd ya do when an LP didnt fit on a cassette for your car? not buy cassettes or instal a turntable in your car?

If I want to put every last DVD in the 14 DVD set of Monty Python's Flying Circus onto my iPod, I should have the right to complain and petition to Apple to create an iPod that satisfies me until such a time when the said device is released at a reasonable price. :D

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
So a 32GB Nano isn't out of the question, just not very soon - maybe September next year.
If Apple did that, more companies would be at 32gb, a few might be at 48gb or even 64gb. Creative already has 2 devices at 32gb(with SDHC support), and Sandsik has one also(but that has the smaller SDHC format). And they have a 32gb device out since December or so. And other are slow bring out their 32gb devices.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
the whole point of nano is not for hardcore music libraries.. i struggle to see them making a 16gb definitely not a 32gb atm.. and why did they drop 5th gen 30gb??

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I predict they'll bump the nanos to 8 and 16, and drop the price points by $50.

Long term, I'm willing to bet the nano will replace the shuffle as the entry level iPod. Apple seems to want to keep the nanos as a relatively low capacity compared with their other iPod offerings.

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
could you imagine a 1TB iPod Nano.
one that is the same size as today's 3rd GEN. nano's.
that would be exciting. :D

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
the whole point of nano is not for hardcore music libraries.. i struggle to see them making a 16gb definitely not a 32gb atm.. and why did they drop 5th gen 30gb??

Currently, no, it's not a place to store 'hardcore' music libraries.

But I think there are loads of people in the market for a small portable player that can store their in between 16-32gb's of songs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.