Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toddgabweg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
PA
I buy a lot of music from itunes and a few TV shows and movies- never had any real problems until I recently purchased an episode of Celebracadabra (<-- a VH 1 show)- I got a message about half way through downloading about part of the file maybe corrupted and for me to re-download, but each time I download the file- I get the same error 8008- I contacted Apple, but I did not get a response yet... anyone know what is up with this?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 891

Toddgabweg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
PA
I received no real help from apple support- they said to turn off all firewall protection, which I did- I can download other video files with no problems, but no one will admit that there is something wrong with their file... any help?

monstergirly

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
No one seems to know much about error 8008...

I figured I might look this up here on macrumors...

I had this problem (Error -8008) with 2 out of 12 episodes of the Sopranos Season 6 Pt. 1. The worst part is that one of the corrupted files is the first episode! The other was the 7th. All of the other episodes in the season downloaded fine, and everything else that I have purchased from the iTunes Store has downloaded successfully (music, other TV shows, movies, iPhone apps), before and after the error on these episodes.

I did receive a credit but the support given by Apple wasn't all that helpful. After trying everything that was suggested (checking for available purchases a bunch of times, deleting the temp files in the downloads folder and trying the download again, creating a new mac user and using the new account to download the files in iTunes, clearing caches, etc. etc. etc.) and not having anything work, they were very quick to give me a credit and did not actually resolve the problem. I still cannot download the missing episodes after almost a month (I keep trying one of them on my husband's iTunes account that he never uses).

Even the support page that refers to this error, which magically appeared recently, was completely useless. It says:

You may receive error 8008 when downloading some videos you've purchased from the iTunes Store. This dialog may appear if your purchase has been damaged during the "Processing" step of the download.

My downloads did not even reach the "Processing" step as far as I could see, so I don't think this is the problem. Then it proceeds to tell users to delete the temporary file in Downloads, which I had already done several times with no luck.

This leads me to believe that the file(s) are truly corrupt somewhere on Apple's side and that I will not be able to re-purchase the episodes until the files are repaired. However, there is no way of knowing when the files will be fixed and available to download again, which is really frustrating, and Apple cannot provide this info either for some reason. I wish I had asked the support rep if she could try to download the episodes herself and tell me if they worked, but I didn't...

If this isn't the case, prehaps there are gremlins in my internet connection that do not want me to stay up all night watching the Sopranos for hours and hours...

I will remain patient and try again at some point... maybe I'll be able to watch season 6 in it's entirety before Xmas...

Charlie769

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Solved Error 8008 AppleTV

Instructions below are from Apple Support which worked perfectly for me! The only caveat... I had moved my itunes library to a different disk. If that is the case for you, the download folder is in newdrive:\newfolderlocation\downloads

Follow the instructions below to remove the damaged file from iTunes:

1. Navigate to the iTunes "Downloads" folder on your computer. By default, this folder can be found in the following locations:
* Mac: /Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Downloads
* Windows Vista: \Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Downloads\
* Windows XP and 2000: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Downloads\
2. Locate the folder that contains the partially-downloaded purchased video.
* Mac OS X and Windows Vista: The folder will be named for the purchased video, and the name will end with .tmp (Example: The Dundies.tmp).
* Windows XP and Windows 2000: The folder will be named for the purchased video, and the name will end with .m4v.tmp (Example: The Dundies.m4v.tmp).
3. Move the .tmp folder for the affected purchased video to the Trash or Recycle Bin.
4. Open iTunes.
5. Choose Store > Check for Available Downloads.
6. Enter your account name and password and click the Check button.

bds14

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
My solution

I am having the exact same problem, and I found a temporary fix.

iTunes seems to do file validation every 10MB. After each 10 MB of download, pause the download, and copy the .tmp folder for that download to a different location. Resume the download.

Next:
- If the download passes the next 10MB mark, pause the download, and copy the .tmp file to a different location safe location. (This is your backup so in case the download fails, you can restart from here)
- If the download fails, delete the download in iTunes, copy your backup back over the original, and click the "check for available downloads" to restart the download at the known good location. This time, while re-downloading this section of the file, pause the file every 1-2 MBs that are downloaded. I don't know why this helps, but frequently pausing the download seems to help the file not get corrupted.

Like I said, a temporary fix, but it allowed me to download 3 40-50MB files. This however, would be torture for larger downloads.

DJPitaB

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
Error 8008

I am also having this issue with multiple episodes of a show I purchased, and after more than a dozen emails back and forth between myself and iTunes Store support, I finally got this response:

After further investigation, I have found that several of our customers have been receiving this error when attempting to download videos.

Apple is currently working toward a resolution for the issue you have reported. You will receive an email after the matter has been investigated and further information is available.

Thank you for your patience. Apple wants your iTunes experience to be as enjoyable as possible.

Looks like we're going to have to wait for a resolution…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.