Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
well, heres a first. My iphone 3g is one day old and I didnt do anything like trying to hack. I was just using it like normal, sitting here at my desk, put the headphones in about to head to the gym, and it just completely went black. it wont start back up, nothing happens when I connect to my mac.... nothing. I guess I will have to take it to apple, which sucks since Im positive they wont have any available to swap it out.:(

Ferret

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Earth
Something to try

Try just plugging it in to recharge. The battery may have died and it won't show anything on the screen until it's been charging for about 10 minutes. I hope that's it, and you may have already thought of it, but just in case...

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
Try just plugging it in to recharge. The battery may have died and it won't show anything on the screen until it's been charging for about 10 minutes. I hope that's it, and you may have already thought of it, but just in case...

that wasnt it but what I did was just hold the home button and the on/off switch for about a minute and forced it into a hard restart. working nom:eek:

RyGuy8230

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
This just happened to me too.
Thanks for the info. Holding down home and top button does do the trick.
(I just didn't realize just how LONG they have to be held down)

sachinajoshi

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
the trick worked for me too

Hi,

Thank you for posting the trick of pressing Home & Top button for hard restart.

Excellent !!! My phone just stopped working ....I was so concerned ....Read this thread & tried the trick...it worked fabulously.

Thanks Again,
SJ

SwAgGeDxOuT

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Cali
well, heres a first. My iphone 3g is one day old and I didnt do anything like trying to hack. I was just using it like normal, sitting here at my desk, put the headphones in about to head to the gym, and it just completely went black. it wont start back up, nothing happens when I connect to my mac.... nothing. I guess I will have to take it to apple, which sucks since Im positive they wont have any available to swap it out.:(

dude this happened to me today i was driving and it was sitting in my pocket with about 50% of battery on it and i get to the store n i check my phone and it is just black screen wont turn on or do anything i get home n plug it into my mac n nothing i try to do a hard reset by holding the home n power button n got nothing so im headed to apple in the morning to get a replacement:D

iphoneowner0101

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
o' mighty macforum !!!!

that **** worked for me too .. thanks alot for that tip ! i already tried holding down the on/off buttn for minutes but nothing happened .. and that was after trying to recharge the batteries -seemingly without effect.. but holding down the stop button at the same time saved my iphone for a trip to the doctor . all mighty internet saved me again !

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
LOVE THIS FORUM. My phone stopped working and that hard restart thingy worked a treat! Where on earth is this info elsewhere on the net/support/documents that come with the phone? How else would we know?!?! Love this place +infinity

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
when that happens just think of it as a little kid that you want to take to get his shots, that keeps saying "no, make me". by pressing those buttons your punching the little kid in the face therefore making him give in. lol.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
When anything goes wrong, it's always a good idea to read the troubleshooting section of the iPhone User Guide. All these actions are clearly explained.

samalama

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Fix to the DEAD iPhone.. Black screen DEAD!!!

THANK GOD for this forum, my phone was just sitting on the counter not over heating or anything and went DEAD/BLACK/GONE... i read here to Hold Down the "home" button along with the "on/off" switch on top for 8 seconds and the apple logo will appear.. IT WORKS!!! not only does it work, but it restored it back to the most recent settings not to factory! THANKS ALL!

angieee

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
yaayy!! thank yoouu all, i was about to freak out!!! thanks for the advice, i tried it though bt didnt wait that long, so thank you thank you thank youuu :)):D

theladymac

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
I registered just to say THANK YOU

I thought I'd need to buy a new phone or get this one repaired...such a hassel! I decided to do a quick search and whaa la! Your quick fix solution has saved me time and money! I thank you so much!

Bonnierogers

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Iphone still doesn't work

I also just bought my Iphone and the same thing happened. It just quit working.:eek:

I tried doing a hard re-set by holding the buttons down for 5 minutes! Hands are still cramping. I tried to charge it and nothing happens. I left it to charge for 8 hours and nothing. What to do? :confused:
Bon

idarmadi

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Jakarta
My wife's iPhone 3G suddenly died (after 2+ years). Google and bumped into this posting.

The problem is that my HOME button is not working all the time. It has to be pressed at the right spot + pressure for it to work.

So I spent 10+ times pressing the HOME + POWER button. Finally it worked!

Thanks for the tips. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.