Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
thechidz
Banned

brand new iphone 3g just stopped working

well, heres a first. My iphone 3g is one day old and I didnt do anything like trying to hack. I was just using it like normal, sitting here at my desk, put the headphones in about to head to the gym, and it just completely went black. it wont start back up, nothing happens when I connect to my mac.... nothing. I guess I will have to take it to apple, which sucks since Im positive they wont have any available to swap it out.
thechidz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Ferret
macrumors newbie

Something to try

Try just plugging it in to recharge. The battery may have died and it won't show anything on the screen until it's been charging for about 10 minutes. I hope that's it, and you may have already thought of it, but just in case...
Ferret is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:55 PM   #3
thechidz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Try just plugging it in to recharge. The battery may have died and it won't show anything on the screen until it's been charging for about 10 minutes. I hope that's it, and you may have already thought of it, but just in case...
that wasnt it but what I did was just hold the home button and the on/off switch for about a minute and forced it into a hard restart. working nom
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:16 PM   #4
RyGuy8230
macrumors newbie

This just happened to me too.
Thanks for the info. Holding down home and top button does do the trick.
(I just didn't realize just how LONG they have to be held down)
RyGuy8230 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:44 PM   #5
thechidz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyGuy8230 View Post
This just happened to me too.
Thanks for the info. Holding down home and top button does do the trick.
(I just didn't realize just how LONG they have to be held down)
glad to help
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:11 PM   #6
sachinajoshi
macrumors newbie

Smile the trick worked for me too

Hi,

Thank you for posting the trick of pressing Home & Top button for hard restart.

Excellent !!! My phone just stopped working ....I was so concerned ....Read this thread & tried the trick...it worked fabulously.

Thanks Again,
SJ
sachinajoshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 02:21 AM   #7
SwAgGeDxOuT
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to SwAgGeDxOuT
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
well, heres a first. My iphone 3g is one day old and I didnt do anything like trying to hack. I was just using it like normal, sitting here at my desk, put the headphones in about to head to the gym, and it just completely went black. it wont start back up, nothing happens when I connect to my mac.... nothing. I guess I will have to take it to apple, which sucks since Im positive they wont have any available to swap it out.
dude this happened to me today i was driving and it was sitting in my pocket with about 50% of battery on it and i get to the store n i check my phone and it is just black screen wont turn on or do anything i get home n plug it into my mac n nothing i try to do a hard reset by holding the home n power button n got nothing so im headed to apple in the morning to get a replacement
SwAgGeDxOuT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:41 PM   #8
iphoneowner0101
macrumors newbie

o' mighty macforum !!!!

that **** worked for me too .. thanks alot for that tip ! i already tried holding down the on/off buttn for minutes but nothing happened .. and that was after trying to recharge the batteries -seemingly without effect.. but holding down the stop button at the same time saved my iphone for a trip to the doctor . all mighty internet saved me again !
iphoneowner0101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:01 PM   #9
HowieR32
macrumors member

LOVE THIS FORUM. My phone stopped working and that hard restart thingy worked a treat! Where on earth is this info elsewhere on the net/support/documents that come with the phone? How else would we know?!?! Love this place +infinity
HowieR32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:54 PM   #10
pcs are junk
Banned

when that happens just think of it as a little kid that you want to take to get his shots, that keeps saying "no, make me". by pressing those buttons your punching the little kid in the face therefore making him give in. lol.
pcs are junk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:31 PM   #11
John T
macrumors 68020

When anything goes wrong, it's always a good idea to read the troubleshooting section of the iPhone User Guide. All these actions are clearly explained.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:39 PM   #12
samalama
macrumors newbie

Smile Fix to the DEAD iPhone.. Black screen DEAD!!!

THANK GOD for this forum, my phone was just sitting on the counter not over heating or anything and went DEAD/BLACK/GONE... i read here to Hold Down the "home" button along with the "on/off" switch on top for 8 seconds and the apple logo will appear.. IT WORKS!!! not only does it work, but it restored it back to the most recent settings not to factory! THANKS ALL!
samalama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:21 AM   #13
angieee
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

yaayy!! thank yoouu all, i was about to freak out!!! thanks for the advice, i tried it though bt didnt wait that long, so thank you thank you thank youuu )
angieee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:32 AM   #14
theladymac
macrumors newbie

I registered just to say THANK YOU

I thought I'd need to buy a new phone or get this one repaired...such a hassel! I decided to do a quick search and whaa la! Your quick fix solution has saved me time and money! I thank you so much!
theladymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:02 PM   #15
Bonnierogers
macrumors newbie

Iphone still doesn't work

I also just bought my Iphone and the same thing happened. It just quit working.

I tried doing a hard re-set by holding the buttons down for 5 minutes! Hands are still cramping. I tried to charge it and nothing happens. I left it to charge for 8 hours and nothing. What to do?
Bon
Bonnierogers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:12 AM   #16
idarmadi
macrumors newbie

My wife's iPhone 3G suddenly died (after 2+ years). Google and bumped into this posting.

The problem is that my HOME button is not working all the time. It has to be pressed at the right spot + pressure for it to work.

So I spent 10+ times pressing the HOME + POWER button. Finally it worked!

Thanks for the tips.
idarmadi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17
doucar1
macrumors newbie

thank you

That worked
doucar1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting