Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
I'm living in Australia for the next 6 months but will be going back to the UK.

I want to buy a PS3 and I don't really want to have to wait until next year to get one if I don't have to :)

I've read a lot of conflicting information on the net about region-coding for the PS3.

Am I right in thinking that there is no form of region-coding for PS3 games? Are there any problems with online gaming when you play in a different region than the one you bought in?

Will UK Blu-Ray discs play on an Oz PS3?

Will UK DVDs play on an Oz PS3?

Thanks,

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Generally in the gaming industry, Australia and New Zealand are considered to be part of Europe and receive titles at around the same time. They are also coded the same on all three of the major consoles, so a PS3 bought in Australia will be identical to one sold in Europe, with the exception of maybe the power cord.

The good thing about PS3 is that there is no region coding whatsoever on any of the games. You can buy a PS3 game from anywhere in the world and it will work on any PS3 in the world. However, some (read: most) Blu Ray movies are region coded, but like games, Australia falls into the same region as Europe, so you should have no problems.

DVDs are a different matter though. Australia is Region 4 whereas Europe is region 2. Therefore UK DVDs will not play on an Australian PS3 and vice versa.

I hope this helps.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Thanks guys - that's helpful. I think I'm gonna get one here in Oz and ship it back in 6 months time.

As long as the games and the HiDef content (i.e. Blu-Ray) will work in the UK then I may as well - I can always get a cheap DVD player for my setup at home.

MadDoc,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.