Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
apple has SO MANY.

why don't they send some to AT&T. bastards.

I agree, it's unfair. However, there are like close to 2000 AT&T stores (I think), so even if they allotted 5000 for AT&T stores, each store barely gets any. I think my store averages around 4 shipments a day. Worst day was 2 shipments, best day was 8-9 shipments.

yode

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles
If I'm making a new account with at&t,is there a way I can get some sort of 'voucher' that would enable me to go to an apple store to pick one up if the at&t store is sold out?

dhowse

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Apple having most of the phones is hardly unfair. They make the phones and AT$T pays them $100 for each activation. If you were Apple you would be crazy to leave that $100 bill on the table.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
the site says apple has now changed the values on that site to null so it wont work anymore

Yep...

"NJ":[{"name":"Tice's Corner","storeid":"R013","city":"Woodcliff Lake","url":"\/retail\/tices\/","available":{"black8":null,"black16":null,"white16":null}}

skyloader

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
norcal
too bad. it wasn't perfect but it helped me check local availability throughout the day. i think the stores will be getting a few more extra calls about stock from now on...

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
I'm sure this has been noted before, but you can actually check Apple's own availability site throughout the day. Just set your system clock to midnight and refresh the page. They update it throughout the day, but it's not always reliable.

Wailord

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2007
I don't think you can change your clock, either- I doubt every Apple Store is out of every model. I think you can only check when you're supposed to, so I'm assuming it goes live at 9EST.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I'm sure this has been noted before, but you can actually check Apple's own availability site throughout the day. Just set your system clock to midnight and refresh the page. They update it throughout the day, but it's not always reliable.

You used to be able to do that, but the availability page actually referenced the same file that the site linked above was using:

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/feeds/3g_us_inv.json

So you won't be able to pull that trick anymore it seems. They'll probably change the null values to their correct values after 9PM EST.

MacSKY

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
the site says apple has now changed the values on that site to null so it wont work anymore

Can someone explain to me Apple's logic for not wanting customers to know which of their stores has them in stock at any given time? Makes no sense to me at all.

MasonMI

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
You used to be able to do that, but the availability page actually referenced the same file that the site linked above was using:

So you won't be able to pull that trick anymore it seems. They'll probably change the null values to their correct values after 9PM EST.

How does that link work when i open it up its just a bunch of characters a jumbled together.

w0ngbr4d

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Findlay, OH
I was hoping someone would write something like this. I don't see any reason why Apple would shut it off. Doesn't really matter if they turn it on after 9 pm since most stores are sold out by then. Maybe it should be called the out of stock indicator.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Does it contain stock for ATT stores aswell or just Apple Retail

AND BTW -- Apple would be crazy to give too many IPhone 3G (Their signature device which they work so hard on) [but still has so many manufacturing defects found in units] to a ****, underserving company like ATT]....

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
It's 5 pm PDT and it seems to be working properly.
I changed clock and tried the apple availability web page.

Works fine for me now, too. No clock change (my work laptop is locked down).

BL.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008

Really? I just tried it (changed my clock to AM) and it worked like a charm. Am I missing something?

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
Really? I just tried it (changed my clock to AM) and it worked like a charm. Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. The values were null for several hours earlier today but it's working again now. Unknown at this time if this was an accidental glitch or purposefully done by Apple to prevent checking the inventories before 9PM local time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.