Administrator

Whiny non-switcher

Here's a non-switch video from a whiny editor who doesn't seem to like Macs:

Flash version: http://www.waveworks.net/mac.html

MPEG version: http://www.yocum.org/video/bitch.mpg
Old Sep 12, 2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Wow, how'd he get Windows to run on a Mac?

Seriously--the things he described are seriously ****ing annoying and they're some of the main reasons I swtiched to a Mac--to get away from them on Windows--and I have! How many of those things he mentioned can't even possibly happen on a Mac? I think there's a reason nothing happened when he hit command-shift-spacebar...it doesn't do anything, right? The CD annoyingly autoplayed when he inserted it? Do Macs even do that? The guy is full of crap.

Last edited by eyelikeart; Sep 12, 2003 at 11:43 PM.
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2003, 07:37 PM   #3
chadfromdallas
Banned

Thumbs up

Very funny

<edit: forgot to say its been out for a long time>

Last edited by chadfromdallas; Sep 12, 2003 at 07:41 PM.
chadfromdallas is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2003, 08:57 PM   #4
amin
macrumors 6502a

Bizarre propaganda that is.

I had a feeling he was going to physically harm an iMac.

What a sucker. Maybe if he even tried to learn how to use a Mac, he wouldn't make inane complaints about the dock getting in the way (turn off magnification anyone?), shift "clover" period, etc. Can't copy files on a Mac because all you get is shortcuts?

Man that was painful. Somewhat entertaining though.
amin is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2003, 09:06 PM   #5
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

amin-

The producers of the video (I can't remember the website) said on their website that it's a joke. They use Macs all the time, but everything in the video has happened at least once. They're just having a bit of fun.
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2003, 09:16 PM   #6
amin
macrumors 6502a

Dave, thanks. I guess it is healthy to poke some fun at oneself now and again. Still, I feel for that poor defenseless iMac.
amin is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:14 PM   #7
Zeke
macrumors 6502

That was hilarious. Never had any of those problems in X (which apparently they have since he was very annoyed by the "almighty" blue apple. Classic though, some of those things rang true. Very funny. I like how he added at the end that the video was put together on a mac.
Zeke is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:24 PM   #8
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
This is my sad but true story: When I first switched to the Mac I was really annoyed because I never had to fix, repair, reinstall, maintain, or otherwise mess with my computer/OS at all. I was so used to it on Windows that I was actually lost and confused for a good couple of months before it became natural. The biggest problem was trying to figure out what to do with all my extra free time that I used to spend maintaining my PC. I remember once I called Apple support and just asked if there was anything I could/should be doing because it felt so unnatural to just use the computer and never have to maintain or mess with anything!
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:29 PM   #9
chadfromdallas
Banned

What kind of computer did you have that you had to spend so much time maintaining it?
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:54 PM   #10
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
Gateway 2000 Pentium II. My God, the thing was worse than maintaining a girlfriend!
Old Sep 13, 2003, 12:17 AM   #11
gello2424
macrumors member

That was funny! I have never had any of those problems but i can imagine they do happen.
gello2424 is offline   0
Old Sep 13, 2003, 01:53 AM   #12
stoid
macrumors 68040

It's really funny that a switcher would complain about the "difficulty of using a Mac" I have lately been forced to work on a Gateway after 18 years with Apple. It is the biggest pain in the ass. It doesn't even have the decency to crash, it will just randomly stop copy/pasting or opening links in IE. God it pisses me off beyond belief. AARRRRGGHHHH!!!!! so then I have to restart, an ungodly long process because it takes like 2 minutes just to shut down and then like 5 more to start back up again. Meanwhile my work flow and train of thought is completely interupted, and I basicly find myself in the position of having wasted 15 minutes to half an hour.
stoid is offline   0
Old Sep 13, 2003, 02:20 AM   #13
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
Quote:
Originally posted by stoid
It's really funny that a switcher would complain about the "difficulty of using a Mac" I have lately been forced to work on a Gateway after 18 years with Apple. It is the biggest pain in the ass. It doesn't even have the decency to crash, it will just randomly stop copy/pasting or opening links in IE.
Well if you're dumb enough to use IE for any reason other than sheer necesity you get what you deserve

seriously tho' use Mozilla Firebird or Opera!

Both fine, powerful, fast browsers! With tabs...

LINKS:

Mozilla Firebird
Opera

-tazo
tazo is offline   0
Old Sep 13, 2003, 06:42 AM   #14
chadfromdallas
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Gateway 2000 Pentium II. My God, the thing was worse than maintaining a girlfriend!
Ah, well that makes sense. Must have been what, 6-8 years ago? Gateways haven't been known for their quality, heh. Compaq didn't use to be known either until they merged with HP. Very good systems now Maybe they have improved
Old Nov 23, 2003, 12:19 PM   #15
kinglarry
macrumors newbie

Half a mo, all the stuff that guy goes on about happens? I thought Macs were supposed to be all shiny and without the locking and the stupidity of Windows?

JK
kinglarry is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2003, 02:29 PM   #16
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by kinglarry
Half a mo, all the stuff that guy goes on about happens? I thought Macs were supposed to be all shiny and without the locking and the stupidity of Windows?

JK
Doesn't sound like any Macs I know!
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:30 PM   #17
KBFinFan
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to KBFinFan
Thats one of my favorite videos.. saw it awhile ago. I just like it because he drop kicks an iMac (not funny cause its a cute lil iMac... funny cause its a computer).

Too bad he's jaded about Macs in general..
KBFinFan is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:40 PM   #18
rjrufo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I know exactly how you feel, I had one of those. Damn thing, I could write a book on the stuff I had to do to it. I even bought the extended warranty with it. It never made it through the three years, and Gateway wouldn't honor the last year, saying that there was nothing they could do since they pretty much gave me a new one with all the new parts they gave me.

I called the BBB, and Gateway's response was that they replaced my computer, and I have no reason to complain.

I better stop now before I get banned...
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:36 PM   #19
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

I'm surprised how often people "discover" this video. I swear it's at least a year old. Of course it's still funny as hell. I've probably watched it a dozen times and it still cracks me up. Some people need to chill a bit though. If this video got yer panties in a wad you should probably cut back on the caffine and take that "Steve Jobs is Go" poster off your wall.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is online now   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 07:22 PM   #20
kinglarry
macrumors newbie

I'm just a bit worried, is all. What with me being all geared up for the Big Switch, I don't need to suddenly hear that Macs are just as annoying as PCs, just in their own special ways.

JK
kinglarry is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 07:43 PM   #21
Doctor Q
Administrator

Don't worry. The complaints about Macs are far fewer in number than those for Windows PCs. No computer is perfect (except maybe a Turing machine), but your switch to Mac still has a good chance to make you happy and contented for the rest of your life. (** cue harp music, daisies floating on the wind, and dancing lollipops **)
Old Nov 25, 2003, 09:11 AM   #22
kinglarry
macrumors newbie

Hmm. Half of the allure of the Mac, for me at least, is that it's supposed to be stable. It's not supposed to crash for no apparent reason. Or that's what I was told. If Macs do crash, I don't see any reason to switch. I can use Windows, I know what I'm doing with it. I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money that will simply crash on me in different ways.

JK
kinglarry is offline   0
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:58 AM   #23
dabomb
macrumors newbie

that is funny...

I,m shure that guys never touch a Mac....

when he kiked that Imac...ha ha ! its exploded!!!! I wanted to do that ounce!
dabomb is offline   0
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:57 PM   #24
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kinglarry
Half of the allure of the Mac, for me at least, is that it's supposed to be stable. It's not supposed to crash for no apparent reason. Or that's what I was told. If Macs do crash, I don't see any reason to switch. I can use Windows, I know what I'm doing with it. I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money that will simply crash on me in different ways.
Yes, Macs crash too. But not as often as Windows. I use both. My Windows PC crashes or needs a reboot at least once a week, sometimes more. My Mac has crashed three times in a year.

Is Mac OS crashproof? No. Is it stable? For practical purposes, yes.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:16 PM   #25
yellow

<snicker> Poor fella.. his first mistake was to buy a Bubble iMac. IMO Bubble iMacs are inferior machines. </snicker>
yellow is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Switch Stories