Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Before we get any "what do we need another browser for?" posts...

Konqueror is much more than a browser. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I know that Konqueror is a major part of the KDE system. I think its role is similar to that of Explorer in Windows, in that it provides file management, web browsing, and other functions.

Getting Konqueror ported is a big step towards porting KOffice. KOffice isn't yet up to the same standard as OpenOffice, but more choice is better :)

Also, this port of Konqueror does not require (and does not use) X11. I think that this Mac version is the first non-X11 port of Konqueror.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Safari was developed from the khtml rendering engine that Konqueror uses to render web pages. As Nermal has pointed out konqueror is also a file manager as well as a browser. When I used linux (before I switched) I used konqueror and found it to be a pretty good at what it set out to do.

That said I do fail to see the point of porting it but it's not going to hurt having more choice.

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
isn't konqueror what Safari was developed from?

Kind of. Konqueror is a filemanager and a browser, but can also display images, pdfs,... To be able to show you all these different kinds of things, it uses "plugins". One of those plugins is KHTML, that renders HTML.

Apple has ported KHTML to OSX, under the name Webkit. So Webkit is also a sort of plugin that is used by Safari to render html, but is also used by Mail.app, the new Omniweb,...

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Originally posted by caveman_uk
That said I do fail to see the point of porting it but it's not going to hurt having more choice.

It's also great for browsing SMB (Windows) shares and supports many protocols.

You can use wildcards for example so that it displays only certain files.

Some people could use it as a Finder replacement too... :)

ltgator333

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2003
Albion, MI
yeah I have to agree I don't see for most users that konqueror is really a big deal, but I've used it a decent amount and it's a trustworthy and useful program, I didn't really find any faults with it, other than it doesn't seem to wanna do yahoo pool for me. The office on the other hand I think is a decent little suite really, I was quite impressed when I first had a look at it- I have a dual AMD box running FreeBSD and I use KDE 3.1 as my default desktop- I was really impressed that I got something that was that full of features for the price of the CD set, which isn't enough to sneeze at. As long as they don't want a pile of $ for it and the people responsible for the porting do a good job, I'd use it.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I suppose its not the application, but that they could really do it that counts.

Yes they both use KHTML and Safari's version is Webkit... so its Konqueror-like.

KOffice would be big if they make it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.