Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comparetto21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
does anyone know of a good software that downloads album artwork for songs you downloaded from a 3rd party like limewire, ares etc...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I suppose you know this already, but iTunes provides most album artwork automatically. Just right-click the album and select "Get Album Artwork."

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I suppose you know this already, but iTunes provides most album artwork automatically. Just right-click the album and select "Get Album Artwork."

I haven't tried that yet. Does iTunes charge for artwork? I don't want to give them my credit card info, since I never buy anything from the iTunes store.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
does anyone know of a good software that downloads album artwork for songs you downloaded from a 3rd party like limewire, ares etc...

I like coverscout.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29994

I used it to catch all the album artwork from my ripped CDs that iTunes did not carry. It has it's own database, and if it can't find what you want there, will google search and grab artwork there.

It also have a feature where you can use your iSight camera to take a photo of the coverart if you have it (doesn't work extremely well though).

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I haven't tried that yet. Does iTunes charge for artwork? I don't want to give them my credit card info, since I never buy anything from the iTunes store.
No charge, but I believe you may need an account with iTunes. Not sure if you can create an account without a credit card though.

and what is the best video converter to buy
Can you elaborate? Are you speaking in terms of hardware or software? What do you want to do with this converter?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nope. No charge.

When I "Get Album Artwork" it requires an iTunes account, which I can't open without giving them my credit card info. Makes no sense if you want to download something that's free. Oh well, I'll just forget about the artwork.

Attachments

• Picture 13.jpg
    Picture 13.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 43

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Did you know...

When I "Get Album Artwork" it requires an iTunes account, which I can't open without giving them my credit card info. Makes no sense if you want to download something that's free. Oh well, I'll just forget about the artwork.

...that if you go to Get Info for a particular song, when you click the Artwork tab, it gives you the choice to add a picture from your own hard drive? Or you can simply paste a picture from the web on there; if you do that, though, it won't save it to the meta-data of the song (I know this from several times I've had to add my whole library again). Alternatively, you can highlight multiple songs and get multiople song info; when you find the album artwork box, you just copy a picture from your hard drive/internet in (there's no browse function if you're doing multiple songs). Anyway, that's how it's done in windows, I imagine it's much the same in OS X.

EDIT: Mind you, this takes a hell of a lot of time, especially if you don't know about the multiple song editing bit (I didn't for awhile). But if you really want the artwork, that's how to do it; I suggest going to Discogs to search for the artist/album; when you find the album, make sure you click on the image or more images to get much clearer, cleaner pictures.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
...that if you go to Get Info for a particular song, when you click the Artwork tab, it gives you the choice to add a picture from your own hard drive? Or you can simply paste a picture from the web on there; if you do that, though, it won't save it to the meta-data of the song (I know this from several times I've had to add my whole library again). Alternatively, you can highlight multiple songs and get multiople song info; when you find the album artwork box, you just copy a picture from your hard drive/internet in (there's no browse function if you're doing multiple songs). Anyway, that's how it's done in windows, I imagine it's much the same in OS X.

EDIT: Mind you, this takes a hell of a lot of time, especially if you don't know about the multiple song editing bit (I didn't for awhile). But if you really want the artwork, that's how to do it; I suggest going to Discogs to search for the artist/album; when you find the album, make sure you click on the image or more images to get much clearer, cleaner pictures.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen that before. However, I ripped most of my music on a PC, before I had a Mac. Since the album art wasn't helpful in Windows Media Player, I deleted it all to save space. With the size of my library, it would take many months of effort to manually download and attach artwork. The only way it's worth it to me is if it can be done automatically. It's not a big deal, but it would have been nice to be able to access the iTunes store for this purpose alone, without giving CC info. I'm not going to worry about it.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the tip. I've seen that before. However, I ripped most of my music on a PC, before I had a Mac. Since the album art wasn't helpful in Windows Media Player, I deleted it all to save space. With the size of my library, it would take many months of effort to manually download and attach artwork. The only way it's worth it to me is if it can be done automatically. It's not a big deal, but it would have been nice to be able to access the iTunes store for this purpose alone, without giving CC info. I'm not going to worry about it.

Does anyone know if using an iTunes gift card would assist in setting up an account? That might be one way to get around it the credit card requirement. (Although if you never buy anything you might not be wanting to waste the money)

Also, I would once again recommend Coverscout. Really streamlined the process as it added the artwork into the audio file itself (something I believe iTunes does not do). It'll still take several hours work to go through each album, but much simpelr than the cut and paste method.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Does anyone know if using an iTunes gift card would assist in setting up an account? That might be one way to get around it the credit card requirement. (Although if you never buy anything you might not be wanting to waste the money)
Yes, that's a great strategy for those without a credit card who want an iTunes account. However, if you never wish to purchase anything from iTunes, it wouldn't be of much help.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Maybe you can use your Apple ID (which you can get without a credit card through the Developer program) as an account.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Maybe you can use your Apple ID (which you can get without a credit card through the Developer program) as an account.

I already have an Apple ID, but whenever I log into iTunes with that, it takes me straight to a screen to enter credit card info... won't let me go anywhere without that. I wouldn't mind if I wanted to buy something, but even when I shop online, I don't leave my CC info on file anywhere. I always enter it for each transaction. I don't know why iTunes doesn't work the same way: only ask for CC info when you try to buy something that isn't free.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

I've never used WMP on a PC, only iTunes. Yeah, I know it's a pain in the butt to manually do it, but once I was really board, and prepping my iTunes library for an 80 gig Classic (I wanted a new iPod when they came out as mine was old, but I didn't want an iPod that was dedicated to album artwork to contain none and look empty and weird) so I just sat down at the internet and did all that work. Mind you, compared with some of the descriptions of the libraries I see here, a 6 gig library (and filled with big songs too; both in file size and in length) doesn't even seem like much. So, to each his own.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
... compared with some of the descriptions of the libraries I see here, a 6 gig library (and filled with big songs too; both in file size and in length) doesn't even seem like much. So, to each his own.

I wish mine was that easy, but with over 30,000 songs and over 150GB, it would take forever! I'm never THAT bored! :D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I wish mine was that easy, but with over 30,000 songs and over 150GB, it would take forever! I'm never THAT bored! :D

Damn...good point. Then again, I can't even comprehend having that big a library, my computer's hard drive is only 160 gigs. Then again, when I first got my computer I never thought I would fill it up, but now I've got less than fifty gigs left. I guess once you have space, it's almost hard NOT to fill it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.