Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Last year, MacRumors published our first 2002 Rumor Reject and Unconfirmed List. This compilation of unconfirmed and unverifiable rumors offered readers a look into the tidbits that never quite made it onto MacRumors.com.

Surprisingly enough, a couple of these out-of-nowhere rumors came true in 2003. Apple-branded Presentation Software and Apple Music Sales rumors evolved into Apple's Keynote software and the iTunes Music Store, while hints of a 30" Apple Display have now graduated into a full fledged rumor over the past year.

With the addition of MacRumors' Page 2 in early 2003, more of the 2003 unconfirmed rumors have already found their way into the limelight... however, a few unconfirmable stragglers remain:

- Apple DV Recorder (to transfer video into your Mac)
- A product called the "Apple iBook Studio Display"
- iSight Cameras built into both Apple LCDs and PowerBooks
- Dual Processor iMac in 2004
- Dual Processor PowerBooks
- Apple Set Top Box with wireless networking, allowing the streaming of movies to your TV
This list is published for interest's sake and should not be seen as claims or rumors from MacRumors.com.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This year's list might be dredging a bit more... since Page 2 might have caught the more interesting ones.

Of interest, the original 17" PowerBook hint didn't even make last year's reject list.

arn

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
ok. now for the real post.

arn. are these dodgy rumours from the same sources as the reliable rumours?

maybe some of them are prototypes.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Let's hope for the best, like a nice g5 in the imacs.
I don't beleive in an iMac as a dual cpu machine. And definetly don't beleive in a dual cpu powerbook. But well, as always -

time will show

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by joed
arn. are these dodgy rumours from the same sources as the reliable rumours?

No... that's why they are dodgy rumors. :)

arn

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
so filtering out the good and bad sources then?

so 2004 will hopefully be more reliable maybe :) here's for an exciting year of rumours - I wonder how many PDA rumours we'll get. lol

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Every year brings new Rumors and best of all we all know that some come true.

ie

iTunes Store
20 inch iMac

04 we hope brings mini iPod

30 inch desplays

g5 i Mac / powerbooks ???

hope so

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Well I hope the Apple set top box comes true, at the moment I can stream TV accross my come network, but only my PCs with ATI cards can pick it up (I am using ATI's EasyShare).

I cant see any need for an Apple DV recorder, but I think it is quite posible for Apple to integrate the iSight into its high end displays.

I dont see any point in having dual cpu iMacs/PowerBooks, since a dual G4 will generate more heat than a single G5. I am expecting G5 iMacs and Powerbooks around June. Which is when I am intending to upgrade my Powerbook G4.:)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
iSight Cameras built into both Apple LCDs and PowerBooks

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughable. This is likely the most preposterous idea I have heard all year. That's pretty good, considering that the year only has two days to go.

The only way a camera would fit in a PB would be to increase the thickness of the machine by a damaging (marketing-wise) amount.

Dan

StoneMtn

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by hvfsl
Well I hope the Apple set top box comes true, at the moment I can stream TV accross my come network, but only my PCs with ATI cards can pick it up (I am using ATI's EasyShare).
All you need to stream TV across your entire house (including to your Macs AND PCs) is a ReplayTV -- in fact, your Mac can act as another ReplayTV via DVArchive -- which includes being able to store and stream to any other set-top ReplayTV box or DVArchive equipped computer in the house....

I for one would welcome an Apple-branded set-top box along the lines of the ReplayTV. Capture in Quicktime, send to Mac, edit and burn with iDVD or Toast? That sounds GREAT!

Stonemtn

Anders A

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2003
Denmark
Originally posted by alset
The only way a camera would fit in a PB would be to increase the thickness of the machine by a damaging (marketing-wise) amount.

That's not true. Ever seen a camera phone? It might not fit into the display of a PowerBook (yet), but there are so many other ways of putting a camera in a laptop. Think diferent!

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
What? No Apple PDA?

I'm suprised the many times the Apple PDA, tablet, and phone didn't make Arn's list (though I am probably mistakeing the numerous messageboard postings with the main page).

Hmmm... Think Steve could be working on an Apple branded Space Shuttle controlled by Mac OS X? I hope it's the new X1 designs, and not the current Orbiter design. I'll bet he will save that for WWDC... :)

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by Anders A
That's not true. Ever seen a camera phone? It might not fit into the display of a PowerBook (yet), but there are so many other ways of putting a camera in a laptop. Think diferent!

Have you SEEN the iSight? No way that thing's going in a PowerBook. They could probably pull it off if they use one of those el-cheapo cameras they stick in cell phones, but that kind of invalidates the referenced rumor. It didn't say just any camera, it said the iSight.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I think it's inevitable that cameras will make it into Apple's portables in some form eventually, in just the same way that microphones did before them. Anyone remember the Apple Mic that you were supposed to balance on top of your monitor in a manner reminiscent of today's iSight?

The only problem for Apple is that they've made such a big deal of the camera being position above the display, that somehow they will have to achieve this on the laptops as well - it could potentially protrude from the top of the screen and nest in a recess between the wrist-rests, below the track-pad button when closed.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Too bad we can't have a "MR Forum Members Guess of Shame" list, you could throw up all the ($@%#) people thinking the G5 PB was around the corner (when told it wasn't), the iWalk, etc. (there's more but I haven't had coffee yet).

Starting off this year I sure hope smaller iPods are going to come up in the rumor column as a hit while coloured iPods are going to wind up as miss.

StoneMtn

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2003
The only problem for Apple is that they've made such a big deal of the camera being position above the display, that somehow they will have to achieve this on the laptops as well - it could potentially protrude from the top of the screen and nest in a recess between the wrist-rests, below the track-pad button when closed. [/B]
Someone needs to come out with a monitor that a camera can see through -- imagine looking at the other person on the monitor and looking directly at the camera...is this possible?

Stonemtn

Anders A

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2003
Denmark
Originally posted by Gimzotoy
Have you SEEN the iSight? No way that thing's going in a PowerBook. They could probably pull it off if they use one of those el-cheapo cameras they stick in cell phones, but that kind of invalidates the referenced rumor. It didn't say just any camera, it said the iSight.

Obviously the iSight - as it is - would never fit in to the PowerBook! I have them both. I'm just saying - you can put a camera in a PowerBook. It doesnt even have to be in the display. It could be down in the base (above the keyboard) in a 45 degree angle or something.

Its possible - and i cant imagine it not happening - some day anyway.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Re: What? No Apple PDA?

Originally posted by Gimzotoy
Have you SEEN the iSight? No way that thing's going in a PowerBook. They could probably pull it off if they use one of those el-cheapo cameras they stick in cell phones, but that kind of invalidates the referenced rumor. It didn't say just any camera, it said the iSight

Have you seen it taken apart? The camera itself it actually quite small, it's the accompanying circuitry that runs back through the case which takes up the room. It wouldn't be hard to separate the two, have the circuitry laying flat somewhere else in the machine and the camera (in the top) connected to it.

The only other foreseeable problem with the current iSights is the lens size, which could mess with the aesthetics of the display. The other issue is what about the people who want a display without an iSight, they don't want to pay extra for something they won't use.

AppleMatt

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by alset
iSight Cameras built into both Apple LCDs and PowerBooks

Dude, they have them in cell phones. You could probably get one into the screen frame thickness wise but the border is so narrow I doubt there is room without going to a bump or something.

Technically its no a challenge. Aestetically its a nightmare.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Re: What? No Apple PDA?

Originally posted by bensisko
I'm suprised the many times the Apple PDA, tablet, and phone didn't make Arn's list (though I am probably mistakeing the numerous messageboard postings with the main page).

Hmmm... Think Steve could be working on an Apple branded Space Shuttle controlled by Mac OS X? I hope it's the new X1 designs, and not the current Orbiter design. I'll bet he will save that for WWDC... :)

If there is ever a MacWorld Houston we'll know this one it true. :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by ThomasJefferson
Hey, what about the Gevalia Coffee brewer attachment w/USB 2.0?

Perhaps we need a 2004 silly rumor prediction thread ...

Silly boy. Everyone knows USB 2.0 isn't fast enought to brew coffee. You need FireWire 800.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I like the concept of these run-flat automobile tires with a high-speed link for data monitoring. If it's based on IEEE 1394, they could call it a ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.