Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jul 25, 2008, 03:49 AM   #1
JoeWensell
macrumors newbie

Stuck in Darwin/BSD Console Mode

Greetings all,

When powering up my G3 (yes I know it is a dinosaur), the grey screen with the apple logo appears, everything appears normally during the boot, then after checking settings, internet, printers, etc...it goes into Darwin/BSD console mode prompting a user name a password.

After reading about similar problems on other forums, I booted in Single User mode, and ran fsck -fy. This is what appeared next on the next:

** /dev:rdisk0s6
** Root file system
** Checking HFS Plus volume.
**Checking Extents Overflow file.
**Checking Catalog file.
disk0s6: I/O error.
Invalid key length
(4, 1327)
**Volume check failed.
localhost:/ root#

Now I have no idea what to type in the prompt. I have read in other forums to boot from the installation disc, but I can not because I do not have one. Are there any alternatives to fixing this problem using fsck?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Wensell
JoeWensell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:55 PM   #2
m1ss1ontomars
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWensell View Post
Greetings all,

When powering up my G3 (yes I know it is a dinosaur), the grey screen with the apple logo appears, everything appears normally during the boot, then after checking settings, internet, printers, etc...it goes into Darwin/BSD console mode prompting a user name a password.

After reading about similar problems on other forums, I booted in Single User mode, and ran fsck -fy. This is what appeared next on the next:

** /dev:rdisk0s6
** Root file system
** Checking HFS Plus volume.
**Checking Extents Overflow file.
**Checking Catalog file.
disk0s6: I/O error.
Invalid key length
(4, 1327)
**Volume check failed.
localhost:/ root#

Now I have no idea what to type in the prompt. I have read in other forums to boot from the installation disc, but I can not because I do not have one. Are there any alternatives to fixing this problem using fsck?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Wensell
It looks like you have a bigger problem than can be solved with fsck or even a Mac OS X Install DVD. I/O error generally means something is wrong with your hard drive; recently my hard drive reported I/O error when bad sectors developed in the middle of my VM image (had to trash it ). Reformat and reinstall with secure erase (basically, zeroing every sector on the drive) should do the trick.

I can't give you anything else; I don't know enough about your situation. Try holding "v" on startup to see if there are any error messages you can report.
m1ss1ontomars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:54 AM   #3
JoeWensell
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ss1ontomars View Post
It looks like you have a bigger problem than can be solved with fsck or even a Mac OS X Install DVD. I/O error generally means something is wrong with your hard drive; recently my hard drive reported I/O error when bad sectors developed in the middle of my VM image (had to trash it ). Reformat and reinstall with secure erase (basically, zeroing every sector on the drive) should do the trick.

I can't give you anything else; I don't know enough about your situation. Try holding "v" on startup to see if there are any error messages you can report.
OK, how do I zero every sector on the drive?

Also when starting the computer while holding "V" it brings back to the Darwin/BSD screen with the following message:

IP Packet filtering initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default to accept, logging disabled
IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled
IP Firewall loaded

Darwin/BSD (Joseph-Wensells-Computer.local) (console)
login: Joseph Wensell
password: entered
Last login: Fri July 25 10:47:02 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Joseph-Wensells-Computer:~ josephwensell$

Thank you,

Joe
JoeWensell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X