Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kusburu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I followed the guide at http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/how-to-tether-your-iphone-3g-and-browse-the-web-using-your-3g-co, but I'm having problems with the "
Step 6: Open Safari on the iPhone and open a web page

Any page will do. I recommend cre.ations.net:

This step is important. The page will take a while to load. When Safari realizes it can't get to the Internet using the ad-hoc Wifi, it will do some internal magic to switch back to 3G for Internet while still on your ad-hoc network. That lets the proxy do its thing.
"
When I load a page, the dialog that says "Safari can't open this page because it is not connected to the Internet" pops up, and it goes no farther than that. When I close the dialog and click refresh, the dialog pops back up.

Help please

riyadc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Are you loading the page on your phone or your mac? You need open a page on mobile safari, using your iphone. Not on your mac.

kusburu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Are you loading the page on your phone or your mac? You need open a page on mobile safari, using your iphone. Not on your mac.

I did open the page on my iPhone. But that stupid "Safari can't open the page..." dialog shows up and stops anything from happening in the background

riyadc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
I did open the page on my iPhone. But that stupid "Safari can't open the page..." dialog shows up and stops anything from happening in the background

And its 3G working fine when WiFi is turned off? Your iphone is trying to connect to the internet though WiFi instead of 3G for some reason.

I'd make sure your iphone is connected to the Ad-Hoc Wireless network created by your mac and also make sure you maunally configure the wifi ip-address to something like 191.168.1.2

kusburu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
And its 3G working fine when WiFi is turned off? Your iphone is trying to connect to the internet though WiFi instead of 3G for some reason.

I'd make sure your iphone is connected to the Ad-Hoc Wireless network created by your mac and also make sure you maunally configure the wifi ip-address to something like 191.168.1.2

The 3G works fine when Wifi is off. The iPhone is connected to the Ad-Hoc Wireless network created by my (Windows). I'm not sure what you mean by "manually configure the wifi ip-address to something like ..."

How will that help?

Thanks for your input btw

riyadc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
The 3G works fine when Wifi is off. The iPhone is connected to the Ad-Hoc Wireless network created by my (Windows). I'm not sure what you mean by "manually configure the wifi ip-address to something like ..."

How will that help?

Thanks for your input btw

After you're connected to the Ad-Hoc network, on your Iphone hit settings, then Wi-Fi, then tap on the Arrow next to the name of the Ad-Hoc network, tap on static, and under IP address type in 192.168.1.1

After that make sure you step up a static ip on your windows too, for that go to Control Panel, Nextwork Connections, Right Click on Properties on the name of your wireless connection, Double click on "TCP/IP Settings" then click on "choose the follwing IP:" and type in 192.168.1.2, subnet should be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway should be 192.168.1.1 (the ip address of your phone)

kusburu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
After you're connected to the Ad-Hoc network, on your Iphone hit settings, then Wi-Fi, then tap on the Arrow next to the name of the Ad-Hoc network, tap on static, and under IP address type in 192.168.1.1

After that make sure you step up a static ip on your windows too, for that go to Control Panel, Nextwork Connections, Right Click on Properties on the name of your wireless connection, Double click on "TCP/IP Settings" then click on "choose the follwing IP:" and type in 192.168.1.2, subnet should be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway should be 192.168.1.1 (the ip address of your phone)

Tried all that, but same problem. The "internal magic" described on cre.ations.net is not happening for me...

it will do some internal magic to switch back to 3G for Internet while still on your ad-hoc network. That lets the proxy do its thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.