Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Speculation about a possible Apple tablet has started infiltrating the mainstream media with an article on ABCNews summarizing public reaction to this possibility. The buzz about Apple's next product kicked into high gear after Apple's Peter Oppenheimer uncharacteristically described a new product during the Q3 2008 financial results conference call.

Rumors about an Apple tablet have been ongoing for years with credible claims that had originally pointed to a 2003 release. Since then, it has been revealed that Apple had been working on a tablet called Safari Pad but this was later morphed into the iPhone.

Shortly after the financial results call, MacDailyNews published an unconfirmed report about a "MacBook Touch" with a laundry list of possible features. While the exact details of the report remain up for debate, an earlier rumor from Jason O'Grady did point to a Mac OS X tablet launching this September or October. O'Grady believes this sort of iTablet is exactly what Oppenheimer was referring to.
This, to me, means that Apple is going to leverage the more than 100 patents (like MultiTouch) that they’ve filed for iPhone in a larger screen device that borrows heavily from iPhone. Think of a larger, media playing, eBook reading iTablet with 3G, GPS, and Bluetooth. Now think of it in 6, 8 and 10-inch screen sizes. This is when things get interesting.
Indeed, Apple's extensive multitouch patent library has depicted multitouch control panels intended for use in Mac OS X and not just the iPhone OS.

Many believe that if Apple were to introduce a Tablet-based computer, they would have addressed the issues that have prevented mass adoption of existing Tablet PCs. Based on the "Safari Pad" codename of their previous tablet project, it seems obvious that Apple once considered web browsing to be the killer app of such a device.

Article Link

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Honestly, while this sounds cool, I hope a non-touch Macbook or comparably priced laptop remains available.

I'm sure it will - if this product is actually released I'm sure it will be complementary, just as the iPod touch did not replace the existing iPod line when it was released.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I think if they could make a tablet that was dockable and therefore usable in a desktop sort of situation (similar to a laptop) then this would be an interesting product. I still can't really see the need for a device that is just a tablet.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I think if they could make a tablet that was dockable and therefore usable in a desktop sort of situation (similar to a laptop) then this would be an interesting product. I still can't really see the need for a device that is just a tablet.

+1.

Sure. I'd like a tablet from Apple... but only if I have the option to dock it for a more desktop experience (table + chair), when needed/wanted.

smootling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Am I the only one who doesn't get excited imagining this? It seems gimmicky, and I don't get the feeling that a market for this exists. As it stands today, no sane person would choose a computer without a keyboard/mouse to be his "one and only". The keyboard and mouse are here to stay. Plus I'm a screen-cleaning fascist, and I couldn't handle the emotional trauma of filthy fingers touching my screen!

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
Am I the only one who doesn't get excited imagining this? It seems gimmicky, and I don't get the feeling that a market for this exists. As it stands today, no sane person would choose a computer without a keyboard/mouse to be his "one and only". The keyboard and mouse are here to stay. Plus I'm a screen-cleaning fascist, and I couldn't handle the emotional trauma of filthy fingers touching my screen!

I'm sure Apple will find some market or other way to make this profitable. They've done it with everything else. (unless the ipod touch has flopped)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

imho this new product wouldn't be marketed as a "one and only" device. It's designed to complement the living room while sitting on your couch or going mobile to the office etc.

smootling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
imho this new product wouldn't be marketed as a "one and only" device. It's designed to complement the living room while sitting on your couch or going mobile to the office etc.
Hm, your perspective makes it sound a little more interesting to me! I'm just worried that with all the touch-obsessing going on, the actual computers are going to get left in the dust.

paquetja

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Toronto, ON
Missing something?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see the use of this type of product, beyond the corporate/business customer. What could I use this in my home for, that I can't do with any other regular mac or macbook or iphone?
I just don't see myself walking around with a tablet just to browse the net. The keyboard will be a touch keypad, which is not conducive to long typing sessions, so its use would be limited to touch-friendly apps like a browser, sms, light email, etc... just like the iphone.

Where does this product fit?

Any ideas what the market for this will be? Am I missing a key use for this product?
:confused:

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
+1.

I'd like a tablet Mac... only if I have the option to dock it for a more desktop experience, when needed/wanted.

Reading these post made me remember one of Apple's patents that came up a while ago:
Picture 1.png

Personally, that would be really cool.

My guess is that Apple is delaying announcing new Apple Cinema Displays because they will announce them with the new iTablet. Not that all Cinema Displays would have the 'docking' feature, but the lower end models would, and Apple would want all the designs to stay uniform across the product line.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003

It will definitely be targeted towards a certain user-base, much like the MacBook Air - it won't be for everyone.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I'll believe this if and only if:

• pigs fly
  • hell freezes over
  • I am the proud owner of a PowerBook G5, MacTablet, or xMac

Until then it's just another fanatsy.

-Clive

paquetja

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Toronto, ON
Reading these post made me remember one of Apple's patents that came up a while ago:
View attachment 126344

Personally, that would be really cool.

My guess is that Apple is delaying announcing new Apple Cinema Displays because they will announce them with the new iTablet. Not that all Cinema Displays would have the 'docking' feature, but the lower end models would, and Apple would want all the designs to stay uniform across the product line.

Ok, I didn't see a use for the tablet at first, but if this is what they come out with.... HOLY CRAP!!! :D

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I think Apple should name it an iTab. They can likely buy the domain name itab.com cheaply from the individual that owns it...

Lostatsea3

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
I assume you would be able to connect a keyboard and possibly a mouse.... I think it would be alright. As long as you can connect it to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse when needed so your not limited to the small touch screen.

paquetja

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Toronto, ON
mini replacement?

Hmm..

This makes me think that maybe this is the replacement for the macmini?
it would have all the normal features and specs as a mini, but has a touch screen and obviously different form factor. But like a mini, you can plug into a TV/Monitor and attach a keyboard/mouse, and voila!

rroback

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I'd love a tablet. I wish it could function as a wireless monitor for a desktop, obviously touch sensitive. Like a Cintiq.

Rhett

superman193

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
price it @ $500 for the 6 inch 800 $ for the 8 inch & $1000 for the 10 inch and they sell like hot cakes!

just imagine all the hospitals wanting these

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007

I agree 100%. This seems very gimmicky to me. This would be too big to put in a pocket (like an iPhone or iPod Touch) for true portability, and too small to be useful for real work, especially without a keyboard or mouse. The constant cleaning of the screen from all the fingerprints would be bothersome too.

I was hoping that the whole UMPC and Tablet stuff would just go away, but maybe not. I had a Nokia 770 and it sucked. (The 800 and 810 are better, but I still wouldn't want one.) The UMPC movement seemed too expensive and didn't provide any compelling apps or a big reason to get one versus just a good laptop. The current touch Macbook (by MacSales) is too expensive and only of interest to niche markets.

Plus - what software is going to be available for this thing right off the bat to make it a compelling buy? Is something like this going to come out in September to show off so developers can make some apps for it, or will it be actually available for sale?

Maybe it will be a combination tablet/netbook or something. Or maybe it will have a pop-out keyboard like the Nokia 810? Maybe we can hook up the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse and make it act like a more traditional laptop. But it would clumsy and inconvenient to carry this extra stuff around.

I would rather see them make a Mini Macbook (like the HP MiniNote or MSI Wind), drop the price on the MacBook Air, and come out with a 13" MacBook Pro versus this tablet stuff. Leave the touchscreen for the small devices that can actually use this interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.