Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20, 2002, 06:22 AM   #1
mac15
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
11x1000

I just joined the 1000 club and I hope the next 1000 will be as fun as the first
and I don't want anybody saying you just posted crap just to get here
cause I'm gonna snap
so 11 have 1000...comon macaztec only 140 or something to go
mac15 is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 06:38 AM   #2
Ensign Paris
macrumors 68000
 
Ensign Paris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Europe
Welcome to the 1000 club.

ohh, what happens when u snap? That would be quite interesting!

Anyone remember the "I have go to 500 posts thread"

Ensign
Ensign Paris is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 06:48 AM   #3
Beej
macrumors 68020
 
Beej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Buffy's bedroom
Send a message via ICQ to Beej
Welcome, my friend.
__________________
Hardcore newborn. (Thanks to mcrain for the idea)
"You're a lot smarter than you look. Of course, you look like a retard..."
Beej is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:23 AM   #4
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Now the interesting question is how long will it take for there to by 10x2000? We won't see that till after MWSF03, or later.

Welcome to the M club, mac15
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:23 AM   #5
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Talking nice job

so how does it feel??
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:24 AM   #6
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Now the interesting question is how long will it take for there to by 10x2000? We won't see that till after MWSF03, or later.

Welcome to the M club, mac15
well we do have 2x2000....pretty soon it'll be 3x2000...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:28 AM   #7
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
I was wondering if anyone was going to notice, thanks eye.
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:31 AM   #8
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
I was wondering if anyone was going to notice, thanks eye.
oh I noticed duke...

I still need to congratulate u on 2000...

so congrats!!!
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:37 AM   #9
Backtothemac
macrumors 601
 
Backtothemac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Destin Florida
Send a message via AIM to Backtothemac
Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by mac15
I just joined the 1000 club and I hope the next 1000 will be as fun as the first
and I don't want anybody saying you just posted crap just to get here
cause I'm gonna snap
so 11 have 1000...comon macaztec only 140 or something to go
Man, you just posted crap to get there ..... he, he.......
__________________
2011 Late 17" MacBook Pro
iPad Mini VZW 64GB LTE
iPhone 4S 16GB VZW
Backtothemac is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:40 AM   #10
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by mac15
I don't want anybody saying you just posted crap just to get here
cause I'm gonna snap
I wasn't going to comment on this, but when you say this sort of thing you really leave yourself open to abuse. You become fair game, but I'm usually not out hunting.....
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:48 AM   #11
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Re: Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet


I wasn't going to comment on this, but when you say this sort of thing you really leave yourself open to abuse. You become fair game, but I'm usually not out hunting.....
nah...but u are taunting him....he he he
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:50 AM   #12
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Re: Re: Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart


nah...but u are taunting him....he he he
I wasn't the first to bring it up, someone else, b2tm, opened that door. Besides sometimes a good taunting is educational....

Now go away or I will taunt you a second time!
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 08:56 AM   #13
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Re: Re: Re: Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Now go away or I will taunt you a second time!
he he he...for a second there u sounded just like AlphaTech w/the newbies...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 09:02 AM   #14
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart


he he he...for a second there u sounded just like AlphaTech w/the newbies...
Its a Monty Python quote (Holy Grail)

The French Knights give a nasty taunting to King Aruthur and crew. Now where's that link?

Ah,

http://www.graphicszone.net/monty_py...unds/taunt.wav
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 05:58 AM   #15
mac15
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Re: Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet


I wasn't going to comment on this, but when you say this sort of thing you really leave yourself open to abuse. You become fair game, but I'm usually not out hunting.....


yep I left myself wide open but its over now
I am so yesterday......
mac15 is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 06:34 AM   #16
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Re: Re: Re: 11x1000

Quote:
Originally posted by mac15




yep I left myself wide open but its over now
I am so yesterday......
Please

Why don't you strive for enlightening and thoughtful replies for your next 1000 posts.....
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:29 AM   #17
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Arrow question...

is it just me...

or is there now what seems to be a rat race to get to 1000 posts going on??

before it was about the avatar...and now the focus seems to be double that...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:35 AM   #18
britboy
macrumors 68030
 
britboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kent, UK
well, the boundary of excellence (or excessiveness) is always rising. I just got to the 500 mark, but it's no longer like it's anything worthy of (much) recognition. You're setting the standards of what a 'high' post count is considered to be Eye, and those playing follow-the-leader have to keep to ever-increasing levels to stand out.
__________________
A man, a plan, a canal, panama.
Start Folding for team 3446
britboy is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:36 AM   #19
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by britboy
You're setting the standards of what a 'high' post count is considered to be Eye, and those playing follow-the-leader have to keep to ever-increasing levels to stand out.
and to think this started as a way for me to break free from work during the day & to cure boredom late at night...he he he
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:43 AM   #20
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by britboy
You're setting the standards of what a 'high' post count is considered to be Eye, and those playing follow-the-leader have to keep to ever-increasing levels to stand out.
As I've said before, 'high' post count is irrelevant, its the content that's the matter. We've had several threads on the subject, but it basically comes down to writing interesting, witty or relevant posts. By just chiming in and saying you agree/disagree, that's cool, etc. adds nothing to the thread.

I go over to SpyMac about once a week to see what's new, I know I'm not the only one, but there was a thread there last week that was 'Let's make the longest thread ever' OMG, it was so friggin ludicrous, on and on about nothing, just to up your post count. The last I saw it was around 350 posts. Now if you look at any of the longer post here in MacRumors, they have intelligent conversation and debate, something you migh actually want to read, not playing word games throught posting.

Ok, said my peace for now. That's my rant for the day....
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:49 AM   #21
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Now if you look at any of the longer post here in MacRumors, they have intelligent conversation and debate, something you migh actually want to read, not playing word games throught posting.
very true duke...

but the problem that can arise here is if one is away from a specific thread for a few hours during the day....he/she can get completely lost in what's going on (even if they are really interested in the topic)...

and to be honest...it is a bit teadious to spend 25 mins reading through all of the posts only to find out that someone has already said what u would have...thus preventing u from adding anything relevant to the thread...

at least that happens to me sometimes...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:51 AM   #22
britboy
macrumors 68030
 
britboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet


As I've said before, 'high' post count is irrelevant, its the content that's the matter. We've had several threads on the subject, but it basically comes down to writing interesting, witty or relevant posts. By just chiming in and saying you agree/disagree, that's cool, etc. adds nothing to the thread.

I'm pretty such that most of us would whole-heartedly agree with that. By and large, that's what it keeps to here at macrumors too. For evidence of that, there's the Mac's and Politics v.2 thread, which makes for very interesting reading (although it took me a rather long time to do so).

Anyway, i prefer to look at the date joined, rather than the no. of posts a person has had. Having been a member here for over a year, or supporting macrumors (ie, demi-god(ess)) makes me respect a person a whole lot more than having 1k+ posts.
__________________
A man, a plan, a canal, panama.
Start Folding for team 3446
britboy is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:53 AM   #23
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart
but the problem that can arise here is if one is away from a specific thread for a few hours during the day....he/she can get completely lost in what's going on (even if they are really interested in the topic)...

and to be honest...it is a bit teadious to spend 25 mins reading through all of the posts only to find out that someone has already said what u would have...thus preventing u from adding anything relevant to the thread...

at least that happens to me sometimes...
Of course its going to happen. You wake up in the morning and all the Europeans and Aussies have made their additions to the threads, and you have to play catchup. But what I'm talking about is if you don't have anything to add to the conversation, don't post. I've tried hard to make sure every post has something interesting or worthy of posting. Even if I say I agree, I back it up with why or give examples. You had to get me back on the rant wagon, now didn't you?
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:54 AM   #24
Backtothemac
macrumors 601
 
Backtothemac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Destin Florida
Send a message via AIM to Backtothemac
Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart


very true duke...

but the problem that can arise here is if one is away from a specific thread for a few hours during the day....he/she can get completely lost in what's going on (even if they are really interested in the topic)...

and to be honest...it is a bit teadious to spend 25 mins reading through all of the posts only to find out that someone has already said what u would have...thus preventing u from adding anything relevant to the thread...

at least that happens to me sometimes...
Obviously all of us have had some of the I agree posts over our time here at MacRumors, but I agree with Duke and Eye. To keep posts on topic and yet fresh is difficult to do sometimes. The Macs and Politics thread is over 280 posts now, and is growing. It is though a very interesting thread. What I had to see is people insite a flamewar, and drag a thread off of topic. That is the thing that is so frustrating, although I have done it before

As far as the 1,000 posts. Well my goal is to make the 2000 posts mark with people saying, "Man B2TM never posts trash, and is one intelligent MoFo."
Call me Dr. Postwell.....
__________________
2011 Late 17" MacBook Pro
iPad Mini VZW 64GB LTE
iPhone 4S 16GB VZW
Backtothemac is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 08:58 AM   #25
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by britboy

Anyway, i prefer to look at the date joined, rather than the no. of posts a person has had. Having been a member here for over a year, or supporting macrumors (ie, demi-god(ess)) makes me respect a person a whole lot more than having 1k+ posts.
I never really look at the number of post or date, some of the more intelligent posts are from newbies who have been lurking or just joined and come in when something needs to be said. I treat everyone here like I do in the real world. Everyone is equal and the idiots make themselves obvious, then I ignore them. Same thing here, you can join the conversation or taunt and flame, I don't put up with that, but you have to be tactful, because showing that they've gotten to you is what they want.

When I first started posting I remember a thread started by a lower post count individual that basicallly was flame bait and it opened up a huge debate. Buy he never came back to defend himself, he was just inciting a post riot.
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC