Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

criticalk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I just bought an itouch off of craigslist. Looks to be in good shape.it had been hacked with some various new apps. Wouldnt play videos or youtube though. I went to apple today ant reset the software back to 1.14, or whatever todays version. Youtube now works fine, as does everything else except the videos. I downloaded some movies and shows in mp4 and mpeg4 format, the went on to the itunes video page fine, and i could see them, even play them on the computer off itunes. They just wont play on the i touch. It says there are no videos, to buy them on itunes. I even converted the movie using the convert movie to ipod/iphone feature but no help. So am i missing something simple here or did i get duped?

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
for your sake, i hope i'm mistaken but it sounds like there's a problem with the touch. you're doing everything you should do; when i first read your thread title, i thought you didn't know about converting videos to mp4 format but you used a converter so you got that covered.

even tho you didn't buy your touch from a local apple store, i wonder if they'd be helpful and take a look at your touch? try going when it's slow and maybe they'll check it out for you.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I just bought an itouch off of craigslist. Looks to be in good shape.it had been hacked with some various new apps. Wouldnt play videos or youtube though. I went to apple today ant reset the software back to 1.14, or whatever todays version. Youtube now works fine, as does everything else except the videos. I downloaded some movies and shows in mp4 and mpeg4 format, the went on to the itunes video page fine, and i could see them, even play them on the computer off itunes. They just wont play on the i touch. It says there are no videos, to buy them on itunes. I even converted the movie using the convert movie to ipod/iphone feature but no help. So am i missing something simple here or did i get duped?

Are the videos syncing to the iPod Touch?

criticalk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I havent been using any aftermarket converter software, the files I downloaded said they were ipod files, and were already in the mp4 and mpeg4 format. the only converting i did was after dropping it on the itune movie screen, i could right click and select convert for ipod, one movie took an hour to convert, and then the other said it was already in the right format. Still no luck.

The videos show up on the itune movie page, but when i sync them, it only sync's for maybe 3 sec and then says done, im assuming thats not enough time, so im guessing not

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
You obviously aren't getting the videos onto the Touch. There's nothing that indicates anything is wrong with the Touch yet.

rajalot

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
Free some space on the iPod, obviously you have clicked "don't show this again" when you got the warning about not being able to sync everything due to space limitations.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
There is also the choice within in the iPod Touch menu of iTunes.

Go to iPod Touch (or whatever you have it named) ->Movies -> Click Sync Movies -> Check off box Selected Movies -> Now select what movies you want to have transferred. (Same thing for TV shows, if you have them.)

Keep in mind movies are really large files. I have some standard rips that are 1.25gig. Movies bought from iTunes are around the same size.

I have mine set to transfer all my data, music, pictures and podcasts. I make usually have a movie or two selected too. It's much easier if you do it that way if you have more movies than space and less music than space.

Questions?

labbit99

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I am also having MP4 sync trouble - did you get yours resolved?

I was wondering if you had had any luck getting your itouch to sync with itunes on your movies yet?

I am also having MAJOR problems with this - I downloaded some mp-4 video via itunes U; Stanford U page. It would not sync so I have done the following:
upgraded to the most recent available i tunes (7.7.x)
upgraded to App2 on the itouch
spent >14hours getting the iphone/itouch convert to complete thus taking an mp-4 file from 200Mb to 500Mb!

Still no joy.....am waiting on itunes help desk to come back in case theres an issue with the stanford files but am getting a little nervous that the itouch is the problem.... it was bought boxed brand new in Feb and had little use other than for music files (these download fine so far). I did notice i had a problem a while ago with geek.tv not even syncing but wasnt that bothered to watch so didnt explore why not further.

My itouch is a 16gB model.

:confused:

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Similar problem here. Have 32 gig Touch. Subscribe to several video podcasts via iTunes. Some of them now give me the message that they were not synced because they will not play on this iPod -- not formatted for this iPod. Come straight from iTunes, no hacks or jailbreaks, etc. Previously all played fine -- even some earlier episodes of the very ones that are not now playing. File type is correct. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
just bring it to an apple store. along with your mac. You dont have to waste all your time...if theres problem..apple will take care of it. could get applecare too for future problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.