Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmeoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
So my MacBook won't run for more than a couple of seconds before dying unless it's plugged into the wall. No big deal, fried battery, should be able to just get a new one... right?

Wrong! Went to the Genius Bar and he analyzed my battery's "cycle count" and told me it was 540!?!!

Now mind you, I've only had my MacBook for a year (and it's a refurb)... so I don't doubt that this is possible. Here's what concerns me...

Nowhere in the AppleCare agreement does it say anything about "cycles".

I called up tech support as the "Genius" told me to because, he's "seen Apple replace worse batteries, but doesn't have the authority to replace it".

I'm sitting on the phone with tech support who responds with silence after I plead my case. "How do you know my battery isn't defective?". "... ... ... [60 seconds] ... I'm very sorry but it's not covered under warranty because it's over 300 cycles".

I go to the higher up and she gives me the same story. "Your battery is not defective, it's just lived its life. I could make an exception and send you another battery if it was 300 cycles and under but not 550."

Meanwhile, I've read over the AppleCare agreement and there's no talk of cycles... What do y'all make of this? Can I get Apple to eat the cost of a new battery...?

Why is my titanium Powerbook G4 battery that I bought in 2003 still going strong? While my one year old MacBook is dead after a year?

Thanks in Advance to anyone with advice or consolations. :mad:

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Sorry, but I side with Apple on this one.

Batteries do NOT last forever.
550 cycles is a lot.
Time to buy a new one.

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
So my MacBook won't run for more than a couple of seconds before dying unless it's plugged into the wall. No big deal, fried battery, should be able to just get a new one... right?

Wrong! Went to the Genius Bar and he analyzed my battery's "cycle count" and told me it was 540!?!!

Now mind you, I've only had my MacBook for a year (and it's a refurb)... so I don't doubt that this is possible. Here's what concerns me...

Nowhere in the AppleCare agreement does it say anything about "cycles".

I called up tech support as the "Genius" told me to because, he's "seen Apple replace worse batteries, but doesn't have the authority to replace it".

I'm sitting on the phone with tech support who responds with silence after I plead my case. "How do you know my battery isn't defective?". "... ... ... [60 seconds] ... I'm very sorry but it's not covered under warranty because it's over 300 cycles".

I go to the higher up and she gives me the same story. "Your battery is not defective, it's just lived its life. I could make an exception and send you another battery if it was 300 cycles and under but not 550."

Meanwhile, I've read over the AppleCare agreement and there's no talk of cycles... What do y'all make of this? Can I get Apple to eat the cost of a new battery...?

Why is my titanium Powerbook G4 battery that I bought in 2003 still going strong? While my one year old MacBook is dead after a year?

Thanks in Advance to anyone with advice or consolations. :mad:

Is the amount of cycles, the amount of times that it has been charged or been charged to %100?

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

what the heck is a cycle? What are they talking about? I hope you do somehow get a new battery .

Good luck!!

smootling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
I hope you get something for free! I don't get people siding with Apple, are people really that obsessive about sending Apple money? Regardless, I'm considering buying a macbook if the update comes in the next few weeks. How much do replacement batteries cost?

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
Charge Cycle. Using and recharging 100% of battery capacity equals one full charge cycle.

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity. As with other rechargeable batteries, you may eventually need to replace your battery.

Right from apple.com

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Charge Cycle. Using and recharging 100% of battery capacity equals one full charge cycle.

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity. As with other rechargeable batteries, you may eventually need to replace your battery.

Right from apple.com

Thank you very much Afireintonto.

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
One very good thing to know--

To check your amount of cycles go to--

1. Apple icon very top right
2. About This Mac
3. More Info...
4. Go down to Power under Hardware
5. Then under Health Information, it says a Cycle Count

I will check this every month or so and just see where I am at before it is too late to get a new battery. Good luck trying to get a new battery but your worst case is paying $129 for a new battery.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
damn, i had my macbook since june and i already have 51 cycles and im working on one right now. i guess i use this thing quite often, i guess i'll check every so often so i can get a new one before i hit 300.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
You bought a refurb. They have cycles. You got a discount. Pay the Piper. eBay can get you a new one for $70.

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Batteries are not covered under your macbook's warranty, as they are considered a consumable item. There are cases where you can get replacement at no cost to you if your battery fails early on. A cycle is when your battery is fully discharged and recharged to 100%. 550 cycles is a LOT for a battery that is less than a year old, mine is only at 110 cycles and I'm approaching the one year point in a week. So 550 cycles, your battery has lived long enough and its time for you to cough up the money and buy a new one.

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Batteries are not covered under your macbook's warranty, as they are considered a consumable item. There are cases where you can get replacement at no cost to you if your battery fails early on. A cycle is when your battery is fully discharged and recharged to 100%. 550 cycles is a LOT for a battery that is less than a year old, mine is only at 110 cycles and I'm approaching the one year point in a week. So 550 cycles, your battery has lived long enough and its time for you to cough up the money and buy a new one.

But it is probably too late now for him. If he would have went to the Apple store soon enough, he probably would have had it replaced or looked at.

Here is a link for some info about MacBook batteries
--
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

smootling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm gonna buy a macbook in August and it'll my first laptop ever. If the computer is plugged in and fully charged and I use it, does that affect the battery at all? Most of my time is probably gonna be spent at the desk, hopefully this won't eat at battery life needlessly? Thanks for the help.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I hope you get something for free! I don't get people siding with Apple, are people really that obsessive about sending Apple money? Regardless, I'm considering buying a macbook if the update comes in the next few weeks. How much do replacement batteries cost?

I definitely dont always side with apple but in this case... a battery is a battery and he got a lot of use from it.

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm gonna buy a macbook in August and it'll my first laptop ever. If the computer is plugged in and fully charged and I use it, does that affect the battery at all? Most of my time is probably gonna be spent at the desk, hopefully this won't eat at battery life needlessly? Thanks for the help.

Very good question. Laptop batteries are most useful when they have a good, powerful, and long battery life. But if you do what you are talking about, it will eat away its battery life and gradually make the time of your battery shrink to sometimes 80-50% of your original battery. To prevent this from happening, you can do this- Charge your battery to %100, then let it go to about %30 then charge it again back up to %100 and so on.

One thing you maybe could do is take out the battery when you are at your desk and just always have the power cord plugged in. But, the only problem is that if you accidentally unhook the power cord, you lose all your work.

If you will be using it mostly at the desk, you should consider buying a iMac (which are very beautiful and extremely fast).

smootling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Very good question. Laptop batteries are most useful when they have a good, powerful, and long battery life. But if you do what you are talking about, it will eat away its battery life and gradually make the time of your battery shrink to sometimes 80-50% of your original battery. To prevent this from happening, you can do this- Charge your battery to %100, then let it go to about %30 then charge it again back up to %100 and so on.

Thanks for the advice. How often should I do that charge-discharge trick? Once every few weeks, or does it need to be a very frequent operation?

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Thanks for the advice. How often should I do that charge-discharge trick? Once every few weeks, or does it need to be a very frequent operation?

Well, I keep my laptop charged at full charge for only up to a few hours at a time. You shouldn't ever leave your laptop charging overnight or at long time periods like this either.

LondonGooner

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
I'm far from pleased with my macbook (bad wifi, cracks) but I've had mine for 2 years and I charge is ALOT because it runs through juice while I play WoW. I've had 600 cycles now, and the fact that my battery is fried is because of the unreasonable amount I've used it, and not apples fault (whereas as the bad wifi is their fault). For me its pretty simple; one fried battery that always need to be plugged in is great for WoW and a second good battery for when I need to do work in the library.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I have to go with Apple on this one. It's not like the batteries are supposed to last forever. It's lived its life. Also, all the noise that was made over iPhone batteries, you'd think everyone knew where Apple stood on battery life: 80% @300 cycles.

priller

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
One thing you maybe could do is take out the battery when you are at your desk and just always have the power cord plugged in. But, the only problem is that if you accidentally unhook the power cord, you lose all your work.

and it runs slower without the battery in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.