Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I have been thinking about this for ages and with the new feature for the iPhone (or iPod touch) to act as a remote, it was one step closer to my idea...

Imagine your whole TV as just a safari viewer, the whole TV taken up by the web (It'd look amazing). You use your iPhone as a trackpad to scroll around the page and on your iPhone screen is an "un-rendered" version of the page (just a blurry version, if you will). You'd have something on the iPhone screen just so you can zoom into sections of the webpage just like you do on your mobile version of Safari. You'd be holding it in portrait mode and so whenever you need to use the keyboard, the virtual keyboard just pops up.

Imagine your whole family in the living room looking at a certain webpage (maybe one of your cousins have gone overseas and he has updated his iWeb webpage), all pointing and telling you to click on something. Or just scrolling through his blog with your finger as it appears on your nice, huge flat-screen TV.

You could make your own bookmarks for the AppleTV, or have them synced over from your computer, so when you add bookmarks at your AppleTV they are synced back to your computer immediately and show up in your desktop version of Safari.

My god the iPhone (or iPod touch) and the AppleTV together have sooo much potential.

What do you guys think?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I have said it many times, I really want this feature. Others want full OSX, but I don't see that ever happening with the Mac Mini out there, just want a Safari option and I am happy.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I have said it many times, I really want this feature. Others want full OSX, but I don't see that ever happening with the Mac Mini out there, just want a Safari option and I am happy.

Yeah, I've said a couple of times that I want AppleTV to have Safari and every reply I get says "Just get a MacMini. The AppleTV is a media device. You want a whole computer!". No I don't!!!

coopermac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
UK
Safari + activate the USB to take bluetooth dongle to allow use of the wireless keyboard and mouse. That would be awesome.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
no

haven't we tried webtv over and over? There's a reason it keeps failing...

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
A big use is watching flash movies on TV :D I have a Wii hooked up to my TV and my main screen is actually a computer monitor that I use as a head for my Xbox360's and my Mac w/EyeTV... So I get internet on it anyways.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
haven't we tried webtv over and over? There's a reason it keeps failing...

I had WebTV and loved it (many years ago). The reason I got rid of it was due to monthly cost. If ATV offered this without subscription it would be perfect and my guess a lot higher quality then WebTV as it should use a real web interface.

Go Apple, get this to us. Even if this was a paid update, it would be worth a one time fee.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
no

But I think there is a reason why people keep trying. And I think this might solve it, don't you?

I think webTV failed because we interact with our computers at close range while leaning forward. We're more attached.

TV, however, we interact with at a distance while leaning back. We're more detached.

Two different philosophies...just don't think they mesh that well.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I think webTV failed because we interact with our computers at close range while leaning forward. We're more attached.

TV, however, we interact with at a distance while leaning back. We're more detached.

Two different philosophies...just don't think they mesh that well.

Hmmm, I think it'll be the future. Internet will make it to our TV's (a web browser or not). Personally I think the web browser will also make it to the TV as-well.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
yes

Hmmm, I think it'll be the future. Internet will make it to our TV's (a web browser or not). Personally I think the web browser will also make it to the TV as-well.

I agree, but I think by then we will interact with our computers differently. The current model doesn't work. Screens would have to be huge, keyboards would have to be integrated into furniture and/or voice recognition would have to make great strides.

I think it's coming...but not in the way we have now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.