Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangledweb16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I've heard some people say you can, and some people say that you can't. Which is it? Thanks.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Go to Settings -> General. There should be a slider for "Location Services." Turn it off, and that shuts off GPS.

tangledweb16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks guys! That was a pretty big duh....

I guess I was just keeping my eye out for a "GPS" slider, so I didn't even stop to think that "location services" was the same thing, even though it's blatantly obvious.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
How much does turning off location services improve battery life? Is it a big difference, or just so-so?

I'm just trying to gauge the trade-off between the benefits of a near-instant GPS response on the odd occasion I do want it, against the obvious everyday benefit of potentially longer battery life.

Thanks for your help.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I actually notice a pretty decent difference by turning it off... enough to where I'll disable it a lot of times.

Having said that, I seriously think there's a bug in the software somewhere regarding the GPS. Steve mentioned one time that it only gets turned on when needed and then turns off when not in use... yet it always manages to stay on. Disabling does not mess with the functionality of apps that use location data- all it does it make them ask again to use it, then it turns it back on.. but they never turn it back off when they're done, which is where I think the problem is

chaoses

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Maryland, US
If I just want to close the GPS for now (and or other applications running), is there a button to close or when I click the menu button, everything is closed?

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
If I just want to close the GPS for now (and or other applications running), is there a button to close or when I click the menu button, everything is closed?

you can't run multiple applications at once on the iPhone. once you go back to the home screen, all of your apps are closed. you can disable the GPS from being enabled in the background, though, by turning off location services in settings

Divorcing

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
hi
i got a text message that says: AT&T Family Map:Security Message-you can be located by the following numbers......if i turn off in setting locations does that turn the family map off so i cant be tracked?

parallelappetit

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
hi
i got a text message that says: AT&T Family Map:Security Message-you can be located by the following numbers......if i turn off in setting locations does that turn the family map off so i cant be tracked?

hiii i'm trying to figure out the same exact thing. can I be tracked if I turn it off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.