Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old May 20, 2002, 03:41 PM   #1
agreenster
macrumors 68000

Apple's Customer Service

Ive been a long time Apple user, but until recently, I had never had to have a computer's hardware professionally repaired.

To make a long story short, the LCD monitor on my TiBook developed a small, grey, fuzzy, 'burnout' spot directly in the middle bottom portion of the screen. It looked like the heat vents on the back of the laptop had overheated the LCD and damaged it. I was afraid it was permanently ruined.

I took it to a local Apple dealer and they said they couldnt fix it. They werent sure if this type of damage/malfunction was covered under the 1yr warranty (I only had it 5 months, its the 550 model) but they sent it to Apple HQ anyway.

Well, much to my suprise, 5 days later I got my laptop back with a brand new LCD screen, and not one dime out of my pocket.

I know this kind of service (free) doesnt apply for people who abuse their computers and get them repaired, but I was extremely pleased with Apple's customer service. No red tape, no long wait time, no questions asked, no money spent.

Ive heard time and time again that people get f*cked over by Apple, but I sure have never experienced it personally.

My hat's off to them.
agreenster is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 03:57 PM   #2
cleo
macrumors 65816

I'll second that. As I posted elsewhere, Apple replaced the screen/monitor part of my new iMac twice in less than a week (once for a bad color shift, then again because the power light on the new one was busted). I was more than pleased.

Also, when I bought Office they managed to ship me two but only charge me for one... I called (not knowing I had only been charged once) and they were just the nicest people about it. Two thumbs up.
cleo is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 04:24 PM   #3
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Honestly, I did have the Half Gigahertz Cube of mine shipped to Apple because it kept turning on by itself! When Apple tested the Cube, which ran for 16 straight hours, they found no problem/reason for why this was happening.

A few weeks later, after it got shipped back home, I found out what the problem was. There are two USB ports on the Cube for the monitor and the Pro Speakers. It turned out that some sort of wierd glitch caused the computer to turn on, if the Pro Speakers were plugged into port 1. That was the problem.

That was the biggest problem I ever had with an Apple computer. (Notice I said Apple, not any.) Now I am not going to get nasty about the Apple services failing to discover the error, but I will say that that was the most Fed up issue I have ever had with an Apple computer.

Now, as for errors with PCs,...see this is why I stick with Macs. You are smart enough to find the F'n error and fix it. When I used PCs at my elementary, all you had were F'n errors and viruses. I still feel safe with my Half Gig Cube, the most compact "supercomputer" in the world.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on avatar and new signature...
Planning to retire current signature.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 04:35 PM   #4
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

I don't know anyone who's had a bad experience with Apple's service...

I know AlphaTech had to send his old TiBook to apple a few times within a 2 week period...and in the end they got it right...

I'm hoping I don't have to go through the steps of having my TiBook repaired...

but again....that's why I got the AppleCare extended service...he he he
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 05:01 PM   #5
iGav
macrumors G3

Sorry to say eye..... but I've had absolutely ********* shocking service from Apple Uk.....

The screen in my TiBook finally took to it's deathbed in October last year, with some 60 + stuck pixels and christ knows how many dead ones..... aswell as an annoying flicker in the bottom left of the screen that Alpha Tech also experienced, anyway, I called Apple in October to have the machine repaired under warranty, and they said it'd be picked up within the 5 working days..... well 5 days later (a friday) still no sign of a courier.... so I called them back and explained...... well they apologised and said it would be picked up within another 5 working days (not the weekend though) so eventually it was picked up 8 business days (excluding the weekend) after I originally called them......

This was now november, anyway, they couldn't give me a repair date, so they told me they'd let me know when it would be fixed.... (the machine was put up on priority as they'd screwed up!!) to cut along story short, Apple never called me back, even though they had said that they would...... so November passed without my TiBook...... then it was soon December...... again they still couldn't give me a date as to when it would be repaired....... a couple more weeks later, I was told that the parts were in and that they were been fitted..... but they still wouldn't give me a date for when I'd get it back, another week passes and I call again.... (totally hacked off now!!) I was then told the parts weren't in, the repair hadn't been done, and they still hadn't a clue when I'd receive it back.....

In the end I had to get incontact with Uk trading standards and my solicitor, because in this case Apple was demonstrating a complete lack of standards and service, well trading standards were most helpful, and very interested in this incident.... and they advised me to write to Apple, to demand that they either repair and ship the machine back to me within X amount of days, or they replace it with a equivilent or higher machine, to the total cost of the original machine, which was 3200 at the time of purchase or that I would be involving Trading Standards and my solicitor, ultimately I received my machine back in Jan this year..... yep, it took Apple from October 2001 to Jan 2002 to sort out my problem....... and return my machine..... in this time I found Apple's staff less than helpful, as well as shall we say being more than liberal with the truth with regards to my machine and it's repair status......

Suffice to say, I was totally hacked off, considering that A: I couldn't do any work and thus couldn't earn, and had no means to replace the machine out of my own pocket because B. I wasn't earning......

However, even though this event still stresses me out and winds me up just thinking about it..... I've put it down to being unlucky on this occasion, I know how good Apples service can be, as only 2 months previous to my screen dying, the hardrive went and it had to be replaced, then the service was pretty good..... the irony here though is that'd when it went in with the dodgy HD the screen was already playing up, and I put a note in to let them know of this....... but nothing was done......

Oh well.........
Old May 20, 2002, 05:11 PM   #6
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by iGAV
Sorry to say eye..... but I've had absolutely ********* shocking service from Apple Uk.....
well damn...

I stand corrected...

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience...

I've heard many complaints about Apple from overseas though...just not about their tech service...
Old May 20, 2002, 05:21 PM   #7
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience...

I've heard many complaints about Apple from overseas though...just not about their tech service...
I had some issues myself, shipped the wrong computer, then took 2 months to get me a new one. I don't even want to talk about it, I was so pissed. But they've had some good rep lately, so its easy to forget about all the problems sometimes. And being as large as they are, its bound to happen now and again that they screw up. I just wish I hadn't been one of the lucky ones.
Old May 20, 2002, 05:26 PM   #8
iGav
macrumors G3

hey all smiles eye.... it was along time ago (6 months).... these things happen.....

(my pro keyboard has just stopped working!! *****..... I'm having to use my TiBook keyboard!! I'm tempting fate!! )

Although dukestreet, yours was horrific man......

Anyway.. it's late......

G nite all!!

Gav
Old May 20, 2002, 05:29 PM   #9
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

You don't know the half of it. They cancelled my order and then wanted me to put anohter order in and pay more money because the price had gone up. I think I'm on file at Apple and its probably not a small one. I know I made an 'impression' on several customer servcie people. I got the 'its not my fault', 'sorry I can't help you', 'its Apple poilcy, blah, blah, blah'.

Ooh, it still steams me up sometimes.
Old May 20, 2002, 05:32 PM   #10
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

well damn...u guys really had a bad time I see...

I hope I don't have anything that annoying take place if/when the time comes that my TiBook needs servicing...
Old May 20, 2002, 05:33 PM   #11
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
iGAV, that is such a sad story. Why would Apple belittle people for some product that should be easily fixed? And in all that time nothing was done?

That is so sad. I think I am going to need tissues...seeing as how so many people with Rev. A/B Powerbooks are having such trouble. It's a beautiful machine.

But, on an up note, way to go on avatar status.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on avatar and new signature...
Planning to retire the current signature.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old May 20, 2002, 05:38 PM   #12
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Hey iGav, so what's the tar going to be, congrats on 500!
Old May 20, 2002, 06:07 PM   #13
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Hey iGav, so what's the tar going to be, congrats on 500!
I didn't even notice....I'm sorry...

congrats iGAV!!!
Old May 20, 2002, 06:11 PM   #14
britboy
macrumors 68030

When i was trying to get my external cd-writer (the one they offered free last year) it took almost two months to arrive. I sent in the original form by registered post, waited almost a month without hearing any reply, and eventually called them. They'd received it, but hadn't done anything with it yet. A week later i called again. This time they asked me to fax them a copy of the form, as they couldn't find it at that time. Great. That went through, and after a few more phonecalls to the centre in ireland (in was in london) a two weeks later, it finally turned up. Forget about the '28 days' policy. Still, it's here, it works, and i'm perfectly happy with my set-up. My next computer's going to be a mac too. I sometimes wonder what it would take for me to lose my love for the company and computers?

ps. congrats iGav. I'll be joining you there tomorrow hopefully
Old May 21, 2002, 03:38 AM   #15
iGav
macrumors G3

Oppps......

I didn't even notice I'd got 500....... well thanks guys...... now I need to work on that tar'......

In answer and in order.....

Eye... you'll probably get decent service, I think as duke said, Apple is so big, and control is given over to so many people in different countries that these things are bound to happen, and in this respect Apple are no different from other companies........

duke, it gets worse....?? I can't believe they had the audacity to consider charging you again, because of a price increase during their f**kup, totally unreal.......

KC, it was just one of those things...... frustrating at the time, because there is literally nothing you can do....... Apple could do with tightening up in certain areas when these kind of things happen...... they just didn't have the parts in, and for some reason didn't know when they would be in...... mind you if I'd known that the machine would take 8+ or so weeks to be repaired. at the beginning, I would have rejected the machne and pushed for a replacement machine........ isn't hindsight a wonderful thing....... that said though, I've also has solid service from Apple before so I know what they are capable of, but as duke said earlier on
Quote:
I just wish I hadn't been one of the lucky ones.
britboy, heh heh you've dealt with Apple UK (Ireland even if you're in England) snap....... I'm so not suprised you had trouble.... exactly the people I dealt with...... although I find it quite difficult to get angry on the phone with Irish women, as I find the accent incredibly soothing..... i think that's why Apple chose Ireland and not Glasgow....... heh heh as for 500.... well come out to play... the waters fine......
Old May 21, 2002, 03:47 AM   #16
Ensign Paris
macrumors 68000

Quote:
hey all smiles eye.... it was along time ago (6 months).... these things happen.....

(my pro keyboard has just stopped working!! *****..... I'm having to use my TiBook keyboard!! I'm tempting fate!! )

Anyway.. it's late......

G nite all!!

Gav
Hey, well done on the 500 man, I wonder if schumi can that many points this season! (I don't thinks its possible )

So then, what is your avatar going to be?

Ensign
Ensign Paris is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 03:55 AM   #17
britboy
macrumors 68030

Re: Oppps......

Quote:
britboy, heh heh you've dealt with Apple UK (Ireland even if you're in England) snap....... I'm so not suprised you had trouble.... exactly the people I dealt with...... although I find it quite difficult to get angry on the phone with Irish women, as I find the accent incredibly soothing..... i think that's why Apple chose Ireland and not Glasgow....... heh heh as for 500.... well come out to play... the waters fine.....
BT do the same thing i believe. They have their call centres staffed with scottish and irish lasses, because people (generally men) find their voices sexy, and difficult to argue with. Sadly, apples' ploy worked with me I just had to say yes to her

Sadly, she probably looked something like the now infamous picture of krossfyter/s gf
Old May 21, 2002, 04:31 AM   #18
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Paris

Hey, well done on the 500 man, I wonder if schumi can that many points this season! (I don't thinks its possible )

So then, what is your avatar going to be?

Ensign
Cheers buddy........ the way schumi is scoring at the moment, I thinks he's gonna take the points record for a season this year..... and finally break that 9 wins in a season record he shares with Mansell....... then the only one left is Senna's 65 pole positions record........ that should go sometime in 04 I think......... heh heh!!!

The one thing i do hope though is that FIA doesn't screw ferrari, Schumi and Rubens over, by deducting points, or worse ban them from races.... for the podium incident at Zeltweg.....that'd be alittle harsh!!

As for the Avatar...... need to think on this...... it's quite a small file size, so it'll take some planning, mid you I've seen what duke has done with b2tm one so it gives me hope!!!
Old May 21, 2002, 04:34 AM   #19
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Sadly, she probably looked something like the now infamous picture of krossfyter/s gf
Ewwwwww...

Don't say that man... I was trying to forget!!! Actually I like to think that the Apple Ireland staff look like the lovely lady off the Scottish Widows advert.......
Old May 21, 2002, 04:46 AM   #20
krossfyter
macrumors 68040

Re: Re: Oppps......

Quote:
Originally posted by britboy

why does everyone think this? am i being poked at for fun? if so thats cool. if not then i dont know where they got off to thinking that pic was a pic of my girlfriend. THATS NOT MY GIRLFRIEND. heh. its some pic of some chick i found online ...i thought it was funny so i posted on the macforums. i dont know how people got it connected with my girfriend.

my girlfriend is like 1/24 th th size of that chick. believe me my girlfriend is skinny. im trying to feed her more and more pizza though just for the hell of it..but shes not budging. heh.

anyways.. that huge chick i have no idea who she is other than shes a huge chick on the net. HUGE.
Old May 21, 2002, 04:50 AM   #21
britboy
macrumors 68030

Re: Re: Re: Oppps......

Quote:
Originally posted by krossfyter
why does everyone think this? am i being poked at for fun? if so thats cool. if not then i dont know where they got off to thinking that pic was a pic of my girlfriend. THATS NOT MY GIRLFRIEND. heh. its some pic of some chick i found online ...i thought it was funny so i posted on the macforums. i dont know how people got it connected with my girfriend.

my girlfriend is like 1/24 th th size of that chick. believe me my girlfriend is skinny. im trying to feed her more and more pizza though just for the hell of it..but shes not budging. heh.

anyways.. that huge chick i have no idea who she is other than shes a huge chick on the net. HUGE.
ROTFLMAO!!! It's just a bit of fun. You deserve it, for giving us all such a fright without warning
Old May 21, 2002, 05:01 AM   #22
krossfyter
macrumors 68040

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oppps......

Quote:
Originally posted by britboy

ROTFLMAO!!! It's just a bit of fun. You deserve it, for giving us all such a fright without warning

oh okay man cool. yeah i guess i do deserve it. heh.
Old May 21, 2002, 05:04 AM   #23
iGav
macrumors G3

on the subject of uglies.....

Check out

www.mingers.com

heh heh.........

Hey krossfyter....... you're up late/early... what time is it in Kingsville???
Old May 21, 2002, 05:11 AM   #24
krossfyter
macrumors 68040

its 5:16 in the am at the moment.

i stay up until 6 0r 7 am ...get only about 3 to 4 hours of sleep.
Old May 21, 2002, 05:14 AM   #25
britboy
macrumors 68030

Man, those are some dirty mingers! Thanks (not) for sharing that with us iGav

He he, i like it. They've got David Haselhoff in there

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community