Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
So 2 nights ago I was backing up my iPhone, which was taking about an hour as usual, but I needed to go somewhere, so I cancelled.

Then last night, I noticed i had 3 new updates on my App Store icon, I click the icon and wait for it to load, then I touch one of the updates to see what it is...
...frozen iPhone.
..Then it dies, AGAIN!
Stuck at the Apple Logo, I need to Restore my iPhone!! What made it crash? browising the app store?!?!

But, since my most recent backup was cancelled, it couldn't restore from backup b/c it was corrupted, even though I've had many successful backups within the past couple weeks, which have files in the backup folder on my computer.

So I had to restore as a new iPhone and resync all of my stuff,
goodbye text/email history, goodbye 30 levels of 'enigmo' beaten, all my preferences, etc.

All because I was looking at the app store updates?

This is the second time this has happened to me! Not to mention apps crashing every once in a while. And about 1/10 times I go into SMS the keyboard barely works, about a 2 second pause with each key pressed! some apps also make the iPhone restart!

WTF is going on with this?!

(the light leaking all around my 3G screen I can deal with... but restoring every 2 weeks I can't)

I've never jailbroken or anything, this has just happened during regular usage?

Anyone else fed up and ready for a update ASAP?
:mad::mad:

P.S. I love this phone and it's the most fantastic piece of technology I've ever owned... when it works.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Apple probably knows how bad of a time people are having, and they want to take enough time to make sure they have all the bugs they know of addressed.

packetjunkie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I have to force shutdown email every day or so and restart; it gets hung look with what appears to be checking and doesnt stop spinning. Had one lock up hard yesterday and had to restart holding both buttons down for like 30 seconds.

Looking forward to the update - works 99% of the day, just that 1% when I have to mess with it that is annoying.

thevol

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
very windowesque performance thus far. it doesn't inspire alot of confidence in someone who is experiencing apple products for the first time like myself. i always thought they "just worked."

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Apple probably knows how bad of a time people are having, and they want to take enough time to make sure they have all the bugs they know of addressed.

Considering it was supposed to be released end of June and yet they had to rush it to July 11th...I hope they don't give in to pressure and fix everything up.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I am only on a touch, but the next firmware bug-update is greatly needed. The music app crashes for me about once an hour. I would expect to find it within the next week, probably sometime Friday or this weekend.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
very windowesque performance thus far. it doesn't inspire alot of confidence in someone who is experiencing apple products for the first time like myself. i always thought they "just worked."

I think this problem will be a good experience for everyone. While it's not necessarily the best case scenario for users, we eventually get a more polished product and Apple gets an ego hit, which I think it needed badly.

Just goes to show that Microsoft might not be the big bad Goliath everyone always makes it out to be.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
...it couldn't restore from backup b/c it was corrupted, even though I've had many successful backups within the past couple weeks, which have files in the backup folder on my computer...
:eek: I had better stop pressing that X button in iTunes then. What a piece of jism.

It just feels like Apple is getting more and more sloppy these days.

Bring on 2.1! I need better battery optimisation, better 3G reception, less crashes and a more responsive system.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Mine has been nowhere near as bad as that but an update wouldn't go amiss - had an app update go totally screwy today

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
can't wait

I hope it comes out before the 30 day return period. I have had a couple issues where someone calls me they here a ring on their end and then voicemail nad I have 5 bars 3g. Also i miss a text message now and then.

Mine has been nowhere near as bad as that but an update wouldn't go amiss - had an app update go totally screwy today

dr2323

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
i thought iPhone 1G was supposed to be like the beta test, you'd think they wouldn't have any of these problems by now.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I don't recall the last time my Windows pc crashed. I usually reboot once every 3 weeks. So not really a fair comment.

But my phone locks up or just closes apps on a regular basis. This is definately buggy. Sometimes I'm sure it's the 3rd party apps fault, but not all the time....but these are educated guesses and I have nothing to really back that.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
I sent Apple a message via their feedback form. Not to beat them up, but just to provide yet another voice stressing how important it is to get a firmware update that is much more stable and improves on performance (no major lagging when typing).

I know they will get the firmware improved, but they need to hear it's really needed sooner rather than later. The issues are bad enough that it warrants a "full court press".

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think the app store is a great idea, but it is clearly causing all sorts of problems. Best to turn Push off and only update manually through itunes. Yes and 2.0 itself seems extremely buggy even on gen 1 iphones and the touch also. Apple should have apple pie on their faces. Two thumbs down. :rolleyes:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
The thing is, every 1.x.x update prior to 2.0 was just that, an update, to an already superb initial OS (one that had a lot more development time and a lot less things to manage), that's why it worked beautifully.

2.0 is basically a brand new OS, and as it has so much more things to manage, it's totally understandable that there's that much more scope for things to go wrong.
Obviously, Apple must be fully aware of all the faults within the OS and Mobile Me, and are busy beavering away, to return the silky smooth user interface experience that was 1.x.x.

This is Steve's baby. He'll not let things stay as they are.
In a month or two's time, we'll all be rejoicing at just how awesome the interface truly is.
:D

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
That would be nice ... but you want to hear something really crazy? The 2.1 beta makes 2.0 seem like the Rock of Gibraltar. Everyone I know who's installed it is frantically looking for a way to restore to 2.0.

Yikes!! Scary thought. Some very strange bugs in 2.0 on 2G iPhone.

Finally got my mail bug worked out. Push and fetch would stop working about 6 hours into workday and required a re-boot that, BTW, turns the volume off on the phone and all alert sounds.

As an early adopter, I expected their to be a few bugs but 1.4.1 was rock solid. 2.0 is feature rich but needs a little polish. All and all, pretty happy with the new OS.

Hopefully by the time I upgrade to a 3G phone, they will have a lot of the bug issues licked, I hope!

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I just wrote them a polite feeback on that link and expressed my concern for stability as well as the suggestion of have the ability to individually delete texts one at a time instead of having to clear a whole convo. I suggested this be done like the icon arrangment on the home screen. Press and hold down and each of the texts begin to wiggle and you can delete the bubbles individually with a little x over them

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I guess I have gotten lucky as my 2.0 experience has been pretty good so far

Sure, I have had some apps crash and I do have EXTREME LAG on text messages/cell pad but on the whole it is a lot more stable than I thought it would be

Maybe I just had such low expectations but I thought it would be a lot less stable than it is at least for me

If they fix the damn lag and improve stability with Apps, I will be happy

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
My phone hasn't booted for over an hour and fifteen minutes now but there is information on there that I need and iTunes songs I purchased so I really don't want to restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.