Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile executives at a Silicon Valley roundtable discussion exchanged some colorful comments about the iPhone and its impact on the mobile space. Some application developers, in particular, have been very pleased with the distribution model provided by Apple.

Pandora Media's free Radio application [App Store] acheived 350,000 installations on the iPhone within the first 6 days. Pandora plans on monetizing their iPhone application through ads in the future. In contrast, over the past 18 months, Pandora has only achieved 12,000 paid monthly subscriptions through all other mobile platforms. Apple is apparently the only provider that will allow developers to offer a free ad-supported distribution model.

Facebook and Loopt have also seen impressive adoption over the course of a week. Loopt claims the average iPhone user is 47 times more active on their network than other platforms.

When discussing the promise of Google's Android mobile platform, some developers were skeptical about the experience:
"I need Android like I need a hole in the head," said Pandora's Conrad, picturing it as "another OS platform that sits on top of buggy firmware, with devices with hundreds of manufacturers, with different characteristics."
Meanwhile, Loopt's CEO was optimistic at the relative openness of the Android platform, as compared to the iPhone platform.

Apple has been undergoing considerable criticism from developers about the ongoing non disclosure agreement (NDA). The NDA is preventing developers from publicly discussing iPhone development and is also holding up a number of iPhone programming books from being published.

Article Link

dosequis

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I can get on both sides of this fence, but it appears that Apple has done something right. Apples products work *more* flawlessly because it is software developed for a specific hardware set.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I wish I could submit a "neutral" vote. Positive for the reception of the iPhone platform and iTunes distribution system, and negative for Apple's NDA.

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Apple is still making changes to the API - adding push notification support for applications for instance. Perhaps Apple wants all this to be in a final state before the first books are published.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Google really pissed me off when they put a gag order on the Android development team and made the most recent SDK for the OS only available to 50 developers in a contest and under NDA. REALLY OPEN SOUNDING HUH? Screw Android.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I really like the distribution model that Apple has employed. Developers may not make as much per app sold but iTunes give them a very large audience to send the Apps to.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
You get it free when you download the iPhone SDK. I would not fault Apple for lack of documentation, they've got kind of the other problem

He means (i think) 3rd party iphone books are being held up from being released because of the NDA, an NDA that covers a released SDK.

I'm not saying who or what is right, but if I were apple I would bend over to get the book writers a pass on the NDA to get more people interested in programming the iphone SDK.

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Would I have to turn in my Apple card..

Would I have to turn in my Apple card if I said if I could give a crap about any more iPhone news? Sorry I have a bad cold and I'm cranky.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
this is good and all, but i where's my iphone programming book!?

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPh...ofessional/dp/1430210516/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPh..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=072H946BT39J00TJ67KG

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Action-Introduction-Web-Development/dp/193398886X/ref=pd_sim_b_1_img

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Developers-Cookbook-Building-Applications/dp/0321555457/ref=pd_sim_b_2

51g8yzgn1vL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Open-Application-Development-Applications/dp/0596518552/ref=pd_sim_b_2

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Apple is apparently the only provider that will allow developers to offer a free ad-supported distribution model.

that is just plain incorrect. i can't think of anything that would prevent them from releasing free app for winmo or symbian or mobile java.

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
that is just plain incorrect. i can't think of anything that would prevent them from releasing free app for winmo or symbian or mobile java.

The difference is every carrier with the exception of the ATT+Apple combo wants a recurring revenue type model with games, ringtones, applications, etc etc. That's why carriers such as Verizon screw their customers with ringtones and games that "expire", or require a monthly fee. Not only that, if a developer was to provide a free application, how do they distribute it? Most carriers lock down the USB and Bluetooth on their handsets, rendering file transfers disabled. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.