Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2004, 02:50 PM   #1
atacinus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to atacinus
Probably the stupidest post ever

I warned you in the topic line...I switched to the mac about a month ago, and I've been stuck with the same apple backgrounds since switching...i.ve searched around the web, but no one makes wallpapers [any good wallpapers that is] for a 1280x854 resolution...anyone know where i can get cool [meaning not abstract like apple.s - but more like the nature ones that come with panther] wallpapers at this resolution.

Thanks in advance,
Christien
atacinus is offline   0
Old Jan 2, 2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

http://www.macdesktops.com
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Jan 2, 2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Westside guy
macrumors 601

OS X does a pretty good job with "stretching" images to fit your desktop - I use a lot of wallpapers that are native 1024x768 or 1280x1024.
Westside guy is offline   0
Old Jan 2, 2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Re: Probably the stupidest post ever

>Christien

You haven't looked at the Community Forum Archive yet? or the Wasteland?

If you do, you'll find that even you'd have to sink quite low to compete with some of the veteran posters.

Of course the first attempt at the Political Forum had some brown gems.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Doctor Q
Administrator

I've got my screen set to 1280, but I find that I prefer a desktop image that's smaller, like 1024, leaving a border of some solid color around the outside, because that's where I keep my icons for commonly used files, applications, and folders. When I stretch an image to fit the bigger size, or use an image that is already that size, it's harder to use my Mac as conveniently.

I think Apple should let you specify the scale factor more precisely, rather than making it all (whole screen) or nothing (no scaling).
Old Jan 2, 2004, 05:20 PM   #6
solvs
macrumors 601

Believe me, we've seen some posts that are much worse than this.

Isn't there a way to make any picture into a background? Try a google search or versiontracker for some programs and links (like the one Dave suggested). Or look at a book when you go to to Borders or Barnes and Nobles. Panther for Dummies. They have lots of tips. On my parents PC right now, so I can't check.

Good luck, though.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 05:42 PM   #7
krossfyter
macrumors 68040

Re: Re: Probably the stupidest post ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun Baked
>Christien

You haven't looked at the Community Forum Archive yet? or the Wasteland?

If you do, you'll find that even you'd have to sink quite low to compete with some of the veteran posters.

Of course the first attempt at the Political Forum had some brown gems.
werd!

i remember those days. fun times.

Old Jan 2, 2004, 05:58 PM   #8
tjwett
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by solvs
Believe me, we've seen some posts that are much worse than this.

Isn't there a way to make any picture into a background? Try a google search or versiontracker for some programs and links (like the one Dave suggested). Or look at a book when you go to to Borders or Barnes and Nobles. Panther for Dummies. They have lots of tips. On my parents PC right now, so I can't check.

Good luck, though.
Ctrl+Click on your desktop and choose "Change Desktop Background". or you can open System Preferences and go to Desktop & Screen Saver. Just click on Choose Folder and browse to any picture on your HD.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 06:38 PM   #9
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Panther even shows my photo albums from iPhoto as folders to either select a random desktop from, or to navigate to and select any individual one. I like mine to change each time I log in (which is less and less with this fast-user-switching feature.)

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion