Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
pictures or details?

I have a DSL modem hooked to a D-Link EBR-2310 Router.

ACER Laptop with Win XP, Apple iMac, and Sony Plastation 3 are all connected with Static IP addresses.

The network works. Only thing that I could never get to work at all was MediaLink for the Ps3.

jpvaz

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Portugal
i'll play...

home setup (i'll post a pic later, i'm at work now)

25Mbit cable modem connected to Apple Airport Extreme

1 PC (home made, used a file server with a bit over 4Tb of HDD space) connected via 10/100/1000 shilded cable, and a macbook pro also connected via 10/100/1000 shilded cable

iPhone connected via wifi

@ work, i can't post any pics, and a writen description would be a bit long... (8 server's and over 400 work stations)

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I did a search but didn't find anything. *shrug*
As for me showing my network all it would look like is a cable modem beside a airport extreme.

I was hoping to see custom racks and such.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I did a search but didn't find anything. *shrug*
As for me showing my network all it would look like is a cable modem beside a airport extreme.

I was hoping to see custom racks and such.

Yeah, the search on this forum sucks... Oh well.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
All I can show is the iMac & the Ps3, as they're next to eachother.

P7290001.jpg

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Unfortunately i don't my boss would like it if i posted our server setup at work how ever here is mine at home.

Items in the picture

- 600Mhz rig, running freebsd 7, ipfw, samba, dhcp, mailscanner, spamassasin, clamav
- Netgear 8 port gigbit switch
- Airport
- Dlink ADSL modem
- 4x 68 pin 10000 RPM Scsi drives
- Some XBOX games

The second picture is my current setup, the airport that is mounted on the wall, is actually the one in the first picture. That first picture is a oldie.

Items in photo

- Dual 22 inch Samsungs, Windows is on the Screen to the left, OS X on the right
- Airport
- Keyboard D Nivo Edge
- Keyboard Charger
- Mouse Charger
- Netgear thing up the top
- Data points on the wall near the right speaker that go into the wardrobe were the FreeBSD rig is located

Yes i need TO fix the cables

Attachments

• IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,066
  • From Clipboard.jpg
    From Clipboard.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,051

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Here's the most recent diagram of my home network, which is just me and my wife now:

rogersmjnet-2007-12-20.jpg

That iMac's been replaced by a hackintosh, but I just haven't updated the diagram...still has the same IP, everything else is the same.

Back in college, it was a little more complicated (this was for 4 guys in one apartment):

3xmkNET-2006-05-21.jpg

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Here's the most recent diagram of my home Back in college, it was a little more complicated (this was for 4 guys in one apartment):

Awesome :p
I'm guessing those "workstations" weren't necessarily used for work much of the time.
I move back in on the 9th. We're not quite that bad, but depending on how many machines me and my cousin take we could have a few.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Actually we did very little PC gaming. Some, sure, but not much. My roommate and I that had the majority of the machines -- 8 between the two of us, including the two laptops -- were both just really nerds that had tons of projects going on. I was a computer science major, he was electrical engineering. I always had my file server on linux, another machine running Windows that did bitch work like downloading files or playing movies while I did the real work on my main computer, etc, and my roommate used a similar setup to experiment with new stuff or distribute computing load.

As computers have gotten more powerful, and since I've grown out of a lot of the tinkering I used to do and instead desire compactness (not to mention ditching Windows moving to Mac), I've slowly consolidated over the years until I'm down to just the two machines I use now -- my desktop and my laptop.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Ya, my cousin is the gamer. Between the computer, 360, and tv it's amazing he leaves the room for class.

I used to play do too much gaming my first few years of HS, but I can hardly bring myself to play any more. Too much wasted time with not much to show for it. I spend a lot of time on the computer, but it's more tinkering like you said. My newest desktop is only a Celeron D 2.9 (p4dual, original hackintosh config.) but they're just used for trying stuff out on most of the time.

I need to fix my file server. Power went off. Not sure what exactly is wrong. The hdd works in an external enclosure and the machine will boot w/o the hdd, but with the drive in it turns on then the power keeps dropping.:confused:

Too much money.:p

klmckenzie03

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
Hey MRogers,

Might I ask what program you used to make that first network diagram? Or is it a program at all. It looks like you possibly just took stock pictures of devices and somehow photoshopped them? If so, you did a fine job! I'm wanting to make a similar diagram.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah the older one (bottom one) is Vizio. The newer, more colorful one I made with my bitmap graphics program of choice (FireWorks), and I just used cutout images of the products I found via Google image search and drew the rest of it myself.

klmckenzie03

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
Thanks for the info. You did a pretty fine job if you ask me! Looks like I will have to check into Fireworks since Visio is not available for Mac.

bombboy

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
SoFla
Here's my network. The Western Digital is set up as a Time Machine Air Disk. I have a static IP for my home so I can access the Air Disk, the printer, and the PS3 remotely.

2738298109_7f0c252f6f_o.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.