Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:51 AM   #1
huskerwr38
macrumors member

how do you put pdf files on your iphone?

I have a lot of pdf that I want to read on my iphone, how do you put them on the iphone? I don't see an option where you can sync them through itunes.
huskerwr38 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:54 AM   #2
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
You're right, you can't sync them through iTunes. Place the PDF in an email as an attachment and send it to your email and it will stay in your inbox until you decide to move it or delete it from your email server.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:15 AM   #3
uicandrew
macrumors 6502a

or you can use an App Store program called File Magnet. I haven't gotten it yet, but it looks like it is worth every penny (it is $5)
uicandrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:31 AM   #4
kis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicandrew View Post
or you can use an App Store program called File Magnet. I haven't gotten it yet, but it looks like it is worth every penny (it is $5)
I bought File Magnet - transferring the files can be somewhat bothersome (somehow the phone doesn't connect with the desktop connection well - takes several minutes until the connection works, transfers are very slow). But once it works, it does the job.
kis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:36 AM   #5
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Yup, I just can't see adding another app to my $50 a month app buying habit, when my email server can provide something for free... then again, that's me.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:48 AM   #6
mouchoir
macrumors 6502a

I use File Magnet for this and don't seem to have any problem connecting at all. And it is much easier than emailing them to yourself and then having to search through your emails.

@ SFStateStudent - how have you managed a $50 a month app habit and a) not bought File Magnet and b) the app store has barely been open a month? :-)
mouchoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:53 AM   #7
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouchoir View Post
@ SFStateStudent - how have you managed a $50 a month app habit and a) not bought File Magnet and b) the app store has barely been open a month? :-)
I'm looking for a 12-Step Program as we speak...LOL

That MLB was how much?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:58 AM   #8
shoolie
macrumors member

If you have a mac use stanza, sometimes it will not correctly break up the pdf into chapters/paragraphs but it's been the best I've found so far.

They just updated stanza to 1.1 so maybe some of those issues have been resolved but it's a great app either way, and it's free.
shoolie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:13 AM   #9
kis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
Yup, I just can't see adding another app to my $50 a month app buying habit, when my email server can provide something for free... then again, that's me.
I bought it because I traveled to Finland this summer and wanted my e-tickets etc. on the phone. E-Mail's not an option considering that I can't connect to the mail server abroad due to horrendous data roaming charges.
kis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:18 AM   #10
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by kis View Post
I bought it because I traveled to Finland this summer and wanted my e-tickets etc. on the phone. E-Mail's not an option considering that I can't connect to the mail server abroad due to horrendous data roaming charges.
Good point. I'm restricted to CONUS, so even in Hawaii, my email servers are good to go... Those roaming data charges are horrendous!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:22 AM   #11
mouchoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
I'm looking for a 12-Step Program as we speak...LOL

That MLB was how much?
Heh heh! I have to say, the MLB app looks fantastic, I wish they had something like that for the English Premier League...
mouchoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:52 PM   #12
josh-bibi
macrumors newbie

Smile I know this topic is dead, but...

Found something thats still free and does the job very very well (transfer + view pdfs and files). Only sad thing is that you need to use a FTP client to transfer the stuff, but you can use wifi or USB, and its linux/windows/os x compatible...

FileAid
more info : http://www.digidna.net/fileaid/

josh-bibi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:46 AM   #13
mhtahir
macrumors newbie

Just Download files lite

Go to app store download files lite, its to easy to transfer big file to your iphone through your browser

try it.

thanks
mhtahir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:48 AM   #14
vant
macrumors 65816

Dropbox. It's FREE. NO ADS.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTc3MDA4MzE5 for an extra 250mb for you and me.

/thread. Anyone who believes otherwise can post a debate and I'm sure I'll win.
vant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:54 AM   #15
dubnde
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38 View Post
I have a lot of pdf that I want to read on my iphone, how do you put them on the iphone? I don't see an option where you can sync them through itunes.
Dropbox
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:17 AM   #16
Tucker34
macrumors newbie

Instead of signing up to things like Dropbox or buying apps, you can easily sync PDF files in itunes to be used in iBooks

Simply go to file > add to library

Choose your pdf and then when its added to itunes, right click and select 'get info'. You'll want to make sure the media type is set to 'book' and click ok

Sync your iphone and job done, itll be on ibooks
Tucker34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:17 AM   #17
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Isn't iBooks supposed to have PDF functionality and the ability to save PDFs to the bookshelf? (iBookshelf? :P)

Edit: nevermind. Looks like Tucker just beat me to it!
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:21 AM   #18
AppleSmack
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38 View Post
Yes, use the free Dropbox service and free app - and then in the Dropbox app, make sure you select the PDFs as favourites, because favourites are pulled to your phone for offline access so you won't need data roaming to view them.

(like all the other Dropbox links here, that's my referral code which gets us both an additional free 250mb storage)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:45 AM   #19
Evgenyy
macrumors regular

You can just drag and drop your PDFs into iTunes if you have many of them. Then sync your phone and then you can find them in iBooks.

Another handy feature is when you open a PDF from a link in Safari, you are given a button to open it in iBooks. I absolutely love this feature as you now don't even need to sync with iTunes if you can find the PDF online.
Evgenyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:03 AM   #20
MicroApple
macrumors regular

wth are you guys talking about you can sync PDF's in iTunes. Just go to the Books page of your iPhone and drag and drop.
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:26 AM   #21
irich25
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
wth are you guys talking about you can sync PDF's in iTunes. Just go to the Books page of your iPhone and drag and drop.
Bump from the dead lol look at the date
irich25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:28 AM   #22
ashameer
macrumors newbie

So...did anyone take look when this thread was created......
ashameer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:29 AM   #23
MicroApple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irich25 View Post
Bump from the dead lol look at the date
Ohh... I didn't bump it thought some other people, made me sure the hell confused though.
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:29 AM   #24
Sweetbike40
macrumors 65816

Email the PDF to yourself. Then from the email you can save it into iBooks app for viewing at anytime. I was also able to save a PDF from a website on the iPhone to iBooks.
iPhone 4
Sweetbike40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:41 AM   #25
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Drag and drop into iTunes. It should show up in iBooks app
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting