Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
I have found a few posts saying you can edit the plist of the application you want to associate this with and it should just work. However I cannot get it to work. I use Smultron to open NFO files as they are text based but I cannot use QuickLook for NFO files.

Has anyone got this working?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This should work - however, getting it working requires delving into the details of Apple's Universal Type Identifier (UTI) system.

Essentially, what you need to do is tell Mac OS X that NFO files are just plain text files with an NFO extension. Take a look at Simultron's Info.plist file in Apple's Property List Editor tool (comes with the developer tools). There should be a section in there with file extensions and their associated UTI mappings. You need to add an entry to this section.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I can't get the LaunchServices thing to work. Terminal says "command not found"
Make sure you put that long string of text on ONE line. It won't work otherwise - oh, and you'll need to remove those backslashes at the end, too.

The final command will look something like this:
Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework\Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Alright smarty pants!

I got it working with the following for those that want to do it.

Edit the TextEdit plist:

<key>UTExportedTypeDeclarations</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
<array>
<string>public.text</string>
<string>public.plain-text</string>
</array>
<key>UTTypeDescription</key>
<string>NFO information file</string>
<key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
<string>com.macromates.textmate</string>
<key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
<dict>
<key>com.apple.ostype</key>
<string>TEXT</string>
<key>public.filename-extension</key>
<array>
<string>nfo</string>
</array>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>

Then run the following in the Terminal : `locate lsregister` -kill -r -all local,system, user

rauz

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
Alright smarty pants!

I got it working with the following for those that want to do it.
Worked great, covertsurfer! Thanks...been looking for a working solution to this that didn't require me to install Smultron or the likes.

La Curandera

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2007
Sorry to grave dig a thread, but I'm can't get this to work (although I'm also flying blind with editing plist files!)

Basically I copy/pasted covertsurfer's text into the info.plist at the end, just inside the last </array> - is that right?

Then, after running the terminal command an nfo file now shows up with a Text Mate icon, and saying it's a text document in the description - but QuickLook just "zooms" the textmate icon, rather than showing the document itself.

Am I missing something very simple?

Thanks in advance

wrexual

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
I followed covertsurfer's instructions and added the code just after the last </array> which has worked fine for me.

Code:
</array>
INSERT THE TEXT IN HERE
</dict>
</plist>

procom32

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
hey everybody, can someone upload their plist for text edit, with nfo mod, i messed mine up and not it wont launch text edit.

wrexual

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
I'm new to mac, and I'm having trouble finding the textedit plist. Where do I find it?

Locate the Textedit app in your Applications folder, right click on it and select "Show Package Contents". That'll open a finder window which will contain the Info.plist file.

Open that file in Textedit and make your changes (keep a backup of the Textedit app if you're not feeling too confident with what you're doing).

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Just going back to this after wiping my machine and couldn't get the terminal stuff to work for some reason so I remembered Onyx would rebuild the LaunchServices under the Maintenance tab!

iRezaa

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.