Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brand Channel has compiled a list of "product placement" awards for movies. Apple, of course, has seen a huge rise in placements over the past 7 years.

When looking back between 2001-2003, Apple appeared in about 20% of all number one films. This percentage increased to 45% in 2005-2006 and is up to 50% in 2008. They acknowledge that even this 50% figure is deceptively low, however, since some movies (such as Indiana Jones) might have no opportunity due to its setting or time period. If you eliminate these movies, Apple appears in an impressive 67% of number one 2008 movies.

Article Link

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
could just be that the movies that are popular are getting worse...

wub.gif

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Haha cool.

Mac's always look sexy on set. I'm a big fan of the TV Show Weeds and How I Met Your Mother. Weeds features a few Apple laptops, and How I Met Your Mother features an iPhone (owned by Barney) and a desktop of some sort.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I think Apple has a far larger impact on product placement. I think this becuase when you see an Apple Laptop in a movie/show it stands out, whereas the other manufacturers blend in more. This is my opinion, but seems to be the case as I don't notice other computers but as soon as I see an Apple computer it makes me think about it.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
You mean Indiana Jones doesn't have an iPhone? :eek:

What is the world coming to...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Hmmm, seems like a weird stat. I mean, how many films are Coke or Pepsi in?

That's different! They are consumables and are everywhere!

Laptops aren't - and in a movie, they probably give it some consideration on what to use.

c0mmander venus

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Crystal Lake, IL
has anyone seen iCarly on disney? all they use are apple products, both laptops and phones, with a pear icon covering the apple. i don't really understand. do they want to use apple products because they're sharper looking without all the bs to use the identifiable product?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Um, how many #1 films are there anyway?

When looking back between 2001-2003, Apple appeared in about 20% of all number one films. This percentage increased to 45% in 2005-2006 and is up to 50% in 2008.
I guess they count multiple regions as having different #1 films... otherwise the math just doesn't make sense. Sigh I wish I had the freedom to come up with stats as subjective as this. :rolleyes:

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
i did love all the apple Reffences in wall*E

haha yea!! When he was done charging himself, he made the mac startup sound. I noticed that right away:D

I haven't noticed any other things in wallE though. But apple products are in movies so much I notice them a lot. The iPhone is in one tree hill too.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I'm the exact same way!

I think Apple has a far larger impact on product placement. I think this becuase when you see an Apple Laptop in a movie/show it stands out, whereas the other manufacturers blend in more. This is my opinion, but seems to be the case as I don't notice other computers but as soon as I see an Apple computer it makes me think about it.

I am the exact same way! Anytime that I spot an Apple computer or device I either point it out to those around me, or think about it. It is because they do stand out more than other computers, mainly in their sleek and sexy designs :p

Quote:Shasterball - "Hmmm, seems like a weird stat."

That is a really weird statistic - Mainly because I have never heard of someone researching product placement this way before. It doesn't surprise me that Apple is at 50%, because as I said above, their designs are usually so sleek and sexy :p (I have a problem, don't I?)

Quote:c0mmander venus - "has anyone seen iCarly on disney? all they use are apple products, both laptops and phones, with a pear icon covering the apple."

I have noticed the Macs in iCarly, although I don't really watch it, so I don't know that much about it >.<

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
TV too...watched a programme about an actor called John Barrowman, and in his travels round the UK and the US, every computer seen was an Apple...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
haha yea!! When he was done charging himself, he made the mac startup sound. I noticed that right away:D

I haven't noticed any other things in wallE though. But apple products are in movies so much I notice them a lot. The iPhone is in one tree hill too.

The refrences you missed were Wall-e had an iPod in his collection of things and Jonathan Ives was brought in by Pixar to design Eve. As soon as I saw Eve I turned to my girlfriend and said "that robot was designed by Apple in California!" and sure enough about 2 days after seeing the movie I read an article about how that was true. There might be more refrences that I missed but those were two big ones.

HirakuMakimura

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Yeah, I agree on the weird stat thing. Though then I wonder how many movies Dells appeared in.

Maybe over 50% of the worst movies of the year?

SilentCrs

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
1.) Product placement is usually not accidental. A more correct headline would probably be "Apple Pays to be in 50% of This Year's #1 Films".

2.) When it is unintentional, Apple products are usually found on TV shows/commercials/et al because they just happen to be lying around the writing room. At many advertising companies, Apple computers are used as the "computer in the commercial" just because they have so many of them.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I noticed a lot of Apple products being used, but disgusied in TV Shows/Commercials, my guess is these are there becuase they have them or like the look and not payed by Apple to appear.

Example: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (MacBook Pro) and Cox Communications commercials here in Phoenix (iMac), etc.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
has anyone seen iCarly on disney? all they use are apple products

[sarcasm]
When Steve Jobs left :apple: did he not take his money and buy over an ailing computer graphics company. I think they were called Pixar. Wonder what happened to them...? He's also the biggest shareholder of Disney and on their board, are they anything to do with films? I wonder....

If you look REALLY hard, you'll see that Al Gore uses a MacBook Pro in Inconvenient Truth!

[/sarcasm]
:rolleyes:

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
has anyone seen iCarly on Nickelodeon? all they use are apple products, both laptops and phones, with a pear icon covering the apple. i don't really understand. do they want to use apple products because they're sharper looking without all the bs to use the identifiable product?

Fix'd for accuracy ^_^

Various shows on Nickelodeon have 'Pear' Products, which are, obviously, a spoof to Apple's line of product.
---
Although not technically a movie, House M.D. has been giving Apple some attention in the later seasons. Older episodes had Dell computers, lol.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Regarding the use of Dells...I can only think of off the top of my head their use in Swordfish.

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
Regarding the use of Dells...I can only think of off the top of my head their use in Swordfish.

Same here, and we all know what a top-quality film that one had been, too. Mind you, the fact that, eight years on, we remember that shows that product placement works. Didn't make me buy a dell, though (at the time I'd just bought a thinkpad).

Anyway, is this kind of overexposure through product placement a good thing? I'm not too sure. It may get some people to buy Apple products, but it may also add an 'e-bling' aura to them (if there isn't enough of it as it is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.